Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LR causes hypermobility?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline lmolnar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LR causes hypermobility?
« on: March 29, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »
Hi,

about two years ago I had a surgery (partial cartilage removal) in my left knee.
The doc decided to make an LR also. He told me that the reason was that the
kneecap "wasn't in the right place" (actually, it gave "clicking noise" when I bent
the knee, but it never hurt, I never felt any pain because of this...). I had a lot of
problem after the surgery, first I felt pain under and around my kneecap so I had
to take madicines to recover the surface of the different parts of the joint. Even
now, after 2 years of the surgery, I feel that kind of pain, when I do a lot of exercises,
do too much sport, or go on long backpacking holidays. But the other problem is
more disturbing: I feel pain in may hips and in my back, on the left side. I suspect that
the reason of this pain is the LR, which modified somehow the transfer of the strain
from the knee to the hip. I feel that the outer muscles are looser then they were. When
I bend my knee the upper end of the outside muscles (at  my butt) don't strain as much
as on my right (healthy) side. And also there is a small swelling above the outside
part of the kneecap.
So my questions are:
- am I right that the LR causes these sympthomes?
- is it possible to "undo" such an LR?
- is it worth the risk to try that?

Thanx in advance
                 Laszlo Molnar

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: LR causes hypermobility?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:10:12 PM »
Szia Laszlo!

I recommend that you cut and paste the contents of this post into the 'patello-femoral joint' and 'struggling with rehab' sections.  Basically, start new threads there.  This section here has very little traffic these days, and it deals with genetic hyper-mobility caused by connective tissue disorders.  You're talking about complications from lateral release surgery, which fall into the realm of patello-femoral syndrome or PFS.

To answer your questions:  yes, LR can cause hyper-mobility.  It removes half of the anchors or stabilizers of the kneecap, which can lead to subluxations and instability.

Yes, an LR can be reversed, but it's pretty rare.  And chances are good that it won't resolve your symptoms.  See, it could be that you are merely experiencing a continuation of the mechanical problems that you had before the surgery--the mechanical problems that created cartilage damage, clicking noises, and made the doctor believe your kneecap wasn't in the right place.  So the problems you are having now can be a continuation of having had your kneecap riding in the wrong place all these years (because LR isn't really a good surgery to realign the kneecap--not very effective at that, it is more intended to release the tight lateral tissues that might create a tilt).

Or you could be having complications of the LR itself.  It is also possible that you are experiencing complications from having had surgery--scar tissue, nerve damage, post-traumatic arthritis from having had the meniscal cartilage removed.

So my point is that you have a pretty complicated case, and you may need to have a detective of an orthopedic surgeon to help you out.  Do you live in Hungary now?  Can you travel to have your knee assessed if necessary?  PFS and post-lateral release problems can be very, very complicated.  I just don't know the status of realignment surgery in Hungary today.  Maybe there are great doctors doing cutting edge work--you'll have to research that.  But second opinions are never a bad thing!  There are a couple names that we have heard before from Vienna and Munich (or Berlin?), but I don't know about anywhere in Hungary.  If you can take keywords relating to PFS and post-lateral release knee issues and look them up online in Hungarian search engines, you should be able to find medical papers and track down the doctors who wrote them.  Or call places like Alphaklinik or top of the line knee clinics in Vienna and Budapest and ask if they have trained any doctors living in your area.  Be creative, and keep looking for answers.

Here are the sections I was talking about:  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=8.0  and http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=16.0

Hope some of this information helps.  Look through the extensive posts in the above sections dealing with lateral release, PFS, and surgical complications.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell