Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hypermobile?  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Hands Bound

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hypermobile?
« on: October 21, 2005, 07:20:15 PM »
I've been to the doctor, did 6 months of PT (all insurance would cover), and they simply just say I'm a little loose.

However, when I look at the diagnosis tests for Hypermobility, I can do every single one of them.

Is this reason enough to go back for a definite diagnosis?  I've had MRI's and they came back fine, with just a little cartilidge torn...

I only got to thinking about it again, because it's getting cold and damp here and my knees are in agony...
Awaiting correct diagnosis for dislocating knees...

Offline christinaadams

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Hypermobile?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 10:36:26 PM »
Did you PT mention maltracking?

Chris

Offline Deadinmi

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »
My OS did all the tests on me in his office. A hypermobile diagnosis is just going to tell you what you already know, your joints move around a lot and it hurts. I got my OS to try surgery for my knees, which were the worst of any joints by far, and so far so good. But really, all you can do is strengthen the muscles around the joints to help them be more stable. I also suggest Alive or naproxen. I've found that the generic naproxen works like magic on my knees, plus it's cheap and I can feed it to my horse too. Good luck with your problems and the damp cold months kill us all.
-Fran

I've come to the conclusion that listing my laundry list of things that happened to my knee isn't what people here need. What we all need is a nice lounge chair on a beach, some Jimmy Buffet, and some fruity drinks... So we can all work on our brace tans. 8)

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:02:09 AM »
Its true, that being diagnosed as hypermobile, just as a label to what u already know urself. However sometimes that label is nice as it sums up everything, without having to explain to the nth dr what your symptoms are. Lots of people can do the list of things and have no joint probs what so ever.

The problem is that things probably wont change management wise. I had surgery to my knees as being hypermobile was just contributing to a list of other things that go with my knees. At present I spend half my life in physio, which helps and the worse joints in splints, which are my wrists at night. Lots of paracetamol / NSAIDs what ever ur favourite pill is.

I guess I'm a little harsh, I just live with it, but if its your knees specifically bothering u, get another opinion, as being hypermobile might not be the only problem, or it may not even be of that joint.

Love
Bridge
xxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline willowsmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:40:35 PM »
Anyone else hypermobile with strabismus (mine's severe) and that silly ability to touch the nose with the tongue, and the teeth eating themselves alive (root resorption)?  I don't think my knees hyperextend (well, maybe a little), though I can wiggle them without bending them, and my elbows don't hyperextend, but I get a 5/9 on the Beighton scale, and I'll be 55 in six weeks, if the good Lord lets me live that long!

Barbara