Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI Results  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
MRI Results
« on: March 18, 2006, 03:36:13 PM »
Finally got my MRI results on Wednesday from the guy at Musculosketetal services (who is still in league with old O/S).  Aparantly they show damamge to the back of my knee cap and a fair amount of wear and tear.  He also said, that because of the problems I've been left with after TTT surgery to my right knee, he doesn't feel he can recommend me for corrective surgery on the left one?!  What is that supposed to mean?  Does that mean I need more surgery to left knee but he doesn't want to be held responsible if things don't turn out as hoped?  I told him about the issues I'm having with my left knee, as in swelling, cracking, grinding, the slipping and not being able to straighten my leg fully without pain, his opinion is that all of this is due to the amount of damage to the back of my knee cap ???  I obviously pointed out that I didn't have these problems prior to the scope apart from the grinding, at which point he started quoting my old O/S!!! Wish these people would just say what they mean.  Anyhow, he's now discharged me saying there is absolutely nothing he can do?  He didn't even give me any physio exercises to do which I find a bit strange, some people are so quick to give up without even trying >:( I've only seen the guy twice?!!!

On a brighter note, true to his word, my new O/S next appointment is in 3 weeks which is exactly what he said in clinic, I could kinda get used to this - although he's only doing his job this is all new to me as old O/S just didn't have the time of day for me and when he said 3 weeks is was ususally 2 months that he meant! 

Will keep you posted on what he says next time.  Thanks for the rant!

Jo
-x-
Jo-UK

TTT right knee October 01  RSD diagnosed October 02, Arthroscopy left knee Oct 04

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: MRI Results
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 10:19:30 AM »
If the OS doesn't give explanations to everything,don't leave until you get it.
Are you seing a new OS in three weeks, I didn't really get it LOL ?!
Anyway look until you find a doc who takes you seriously..if you still have problems behind the kneecap caused by grinding something must be done.
Best of luck with your next appointment !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 10:36:18 AM »
Jo,

Hi, it's so frustrating when you hit these roadblocks. 
Can relate to this, but try to keep looking forward & not backward.  Go to the new OS and start again.  I wouldn't mention the behavior of the old OS or this guy at Musculosketetal services - I'd let that slide. 
Hopefully you'll get a good assessment and a treatment program that will help with your knee issues.  It's so unfortunate when you get left to your own devices.  I felt horrible when it happened to me, but it's turned out to be a real positive now that I've found an OS willing to treat my symptoms.
Good luck and let us know how everything goes.  ~Shade   
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 03:37:32 PM »
Hi Shade & Nettan,

Thanks for your replies.

I already saw my new O/S this week and he is good, he really listens and seems to care about what's happened.  As far as not mentioning old O/S and this other guy at Musc.Skel dept, well I already did, he knows I've been under old one AND had a second opinion with someone else, although of course I didn't slate them in anyway, just told him we have agreed to differ and he seemed fine about it I'm sure he is gonna have a fit when he gets hold of all the notes from old O/S...years worth it's like war and peace LOL! 

Anyhow I thought I'd take the plunge this morning and I went to our local pool for the first time in FIVE YEARS, and yes I was really scared but I can still swim, although I can't use my right leg as the pain is just the same in water as it is on land BUT I swam and I felt GREAT after 10 lengths of the pool I'm very pleased myself ;D this has to be a step in the right direction.

Thanks again guys, take care

Jo

Jo-UK

TTT right knee October 01  RSD diagnosed October 02, Arthroscopy left knee Oct 04

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 09:04:19 PM »
Hi Jo,

I spoke to you a long time ago! Anyway, sorry to hear that you are having problems with your other knee!!! I am at that point now as well...my TTT knee still feels good as the RSD only effected the shin area. What I was wondering is did you have any problems after the scope RSD wise?  I was just wondering  as I am thinking of perhaps having my knee scoped as now I am unemployed and it would be the perfect time for me to do it. I was just wondering how it went for you.

I hope things work out for you!!!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 08:52:54 PM »
Hi Cari,

I remember you from ages ago!  My TTT Knee / leg is a complete nightmare because of the RSD, is always cold but feels like it's on fire if that makes any sense. I can feel my screws most of the time but I'm such a wuss I won't let the O/S take em out until they absolutely have to!  As far as my other knee goes, well to be fair I really was very concerned immediately after surgery as I had that familiar burning pain in my knee and for a good few days after surgery, but I threw myself into the physio exercises and it seemed to pass, although I don't have RSD in my left knee, things are still far from right with it after the scope I had done, in fact things are worse now than before the scope so I couldn't really advise you on which way to go...  Good luck though whatever you decide. I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth a scope on my TTT/RSD knee along with the possibility of LR on the left one.  What's your scope being done for?  Is it something specific or diagnostic?

Jo
-x-
Jo-UK

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 11:52:08 PM »
Hi Jo,

The right or "GOOD" non operated knee is in worse shape degeneration wise then the other one that had the TTT as it took 20 years of abuse and 2 falls directly on it in the last 3 years. I did have a spread of the RSD to the EXACT same area on the TTT leg that has it which is the fracture(osteotomy) and screw site though having the screws out does really help ALOT !!! My pain management Dr attacked that area well with lidocaine injections and he has been able to truly keep the RSD pain from ever going above a 3 in both legs.

My OS is not the one who did the TTT as he retired butmy OS is familiar with my history as he scoped the knee prior to the TTT and knows all about the RSD and he now has my other OS records. He feels that a scope will just buy me a short time of relief as I really need a patella femoral joint replacement since the patella femoral area and my kneecap are basically bone on bone or bare of cartilage or shall I say whatever is left under my knee is really degraded and torn up. I will not have a TTT or lateral release done as my damage is too severe for it to work long term and it would just be a bandaid of sorts. He wants me to wait as long as I can in order to avoid a TKR as the PKR with the patella area has alot of problems now and high failure and he works out of New Yorks Top Orthopedic teaching hospital.

Tell me what are they doing to try and treat your RSD??????  IS the knee itself still bad after the TTT or is it just from the RSD ? What is going on with the left knee now??

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
Hi Cari,

I think mine is the other way round, my TTT knee is in worse state degeneration wise than the left and will need TKR at some point in the future.  I have huge problems with the TTT knee one being RSD in knee and leg the other well thats anybodies guess... I've been told it's anterior knee pain?  Mechanical?  Arthritic? Nerve damage?  You tell me cause the experts don't seem to be able to.  I'm hoping my new O/S can shed some light on what else is going on other than the RSD thing.  I've also been told the screws are catching on the main tendon that runs through my knee but old O/S didn't seem to be all that bothered although as I said before I can really feel the screws most days.  As for the left knee, it started grinding and generally "misbehavin" so old O/S did a scope and found loose cartilage which he removed and damage to the back of my knee cap which he repaired but he also found evidence that my knee cap was slipping outwards which he did nothing about.  This, my new O/S thinks is why I'm having lots of problems again with left knee.  I know now that it is definitely slipping outwards but it has never dislocated completely.  So as I say there is a chance that new O/S may want to do LR on left and scope on right to see what if anything he can do to ease the constant pain that I have in the right knee.  I realise there isn't anything he can do for the RSD but if the knee pain is mechanical I live in hope....  As for the RSD, I'm on a cocktail of daily meds and I've been offered SCS (spinal cord stimulator) but it's such a big procedure and big risks (MRSA being one of them) I have turned it down for now and have been discharged by the pain management guys as everything else they have tried (blocks, injections, meds etc) have not touched the RSD pain nor the knee pain.

Hope life is treating you and your knees well. ;D

Jo
-x-

Jo-UK

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:17:58 AM »
Jo,

The OS that did my TTT ( he retired unfortunately for me) told me that "anterior knee pain" was almost always a mechanical problem and since the joint in some way is malaligned the arthritis is then formed....its a vicious cycle that unless they can fix the mechanical problemit will all happen again, they can clean out the arthritis but the arthritis damage will keep re-occurring. Has the OS who did your TTT considered it a failure?? It seems that if he did not correct the mechanical issues correctly then you will never get rid of the arthritis pain. The OS I use now had scoped my knee 3 times prior to my TTT but was not comfortable doing the TTT. When I saw him the first time about 9 months ago for my "other" knee I went through my whole history he looked at the TTT knee and we went through the RSD and where it effects me. He asked me about the knee pain I was there for and I told him there was a huge difference in RSD pain then there was in the arthritis pain and that it was truly arthritis pain...he did not doubt me at all. He doesn't want to scope the knee as he is afraid of aggravating the RSD and since it is not in the knee now he wants to keep it away. I talked to my RSD Dr about it and he said if it had to be scoped he would talk to the OS and they would come up with a plan but I know a PKR is surely in my future in the next 5 years as I am not mentally ready for that now.   If the OS who did the scope on your left knee just cleaned it out and did nothing to correct the tracking then your new OS is right...that is indeed why it is bothering you now !!!!! If he feels a lateral release is all you would need to help it then if I was you I would have it done !!!! As I mentioned before..I had 3 scopes before my TTT and within 9-12 months after the scope the pain and loose cartilage was all back as the tracking was never fixed. I am so lucky that the TTT fixed my knee so that it now tracks right and the patella was elevated alot so it rubs against nothing so I have no knee pain.  I am just wondering if he does scope the right knee why he cannot remove your screws as I think that might help the movement of your knee if the OS says they are rubbing on a tendon. I also turned down the spinal cord stimulator option as it was too major and scary for me with many different outcomes not all positive.  Has the pain management Drs tried any trigger point injections with anesthetics????? After a few months of having this done regularly my RSD pain was reduced drastically which helped me go off of tons of medication. I only take 2 medication for the RSD now and use the lidocaine patches. Is there anyway at all that you can be referred to another pain Dr???? Especially with the outlook of maybe having the right knee scoped, it might just aggravate the RSD.!!! I just think that you deserve to feel better and to find a pain management Dr that won't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not working right now due to the company I worked for outsourcing the whole division and I have too much time on my hands...LOL!!!

Best of luck with the new OS and I sure hope that he can come up with some type of solution for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Cari