Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: total knee replacement  (Read 859 times)

Offline hofstet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
total knee replacement
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »
I'm going to have to have total knee replacement surgery in the near future. Any recommendations regarding the best Surgeons and where the most advanced procedures are being practiced in Southeastern Michigan would be appreciated. Chicago is also an option.
Thanks

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: total knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 06:19:22 PM »
Hello

Dr. Blaha at U of M in Ann Arbor is awesome!!!  If you are interested I can give you more info.  I have done my homework and I don't think you could find a more qualified surgeon for a TKR.  Below is a link to a U fo M website.

http://www2.med.umich.edu/pcdv2/index.cfm?fuseaction=provider.profile&individual_id=106305&um_department=Orthopaedic%20Surgery

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline hofstet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 08:05:20 PM »
Jan,
What a coincidence, I have an appointment with him on May 9th! Can you tell me more about him and what types of replacements they specialize in? Do they use the latest Stryker Navigation System? 
Thanks,
Hofstet

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 08:58:29 PM »
Hello  hofstet,

As far as I am concerned, you have the best doctor.  Dr. B in very involved in TKR research and in designing a TKR implant.  He is a member of the knee society.   He meets regularly with other doctors (from all over the U.S.) that all do at least 100 TKR each year and are also involved in research.  These doctors get together and share informations and discuss cases.  His knowledge on TKR is amazing.  His whole practice is limited to joint replacements.

My first TKR was done by another doctor and he left my knee in a huge mess.  I began searching for a doctor qualified to do the revision.  I was told by other doctors that there was nothing they could do to help me.  Dr. B was willing to try and fix my knee.  Dr. B seems to enjoy taking on cases where the TKR failed.  He says he learns more by dealing with these situations. 

I am scheduled for a TKR revision next month.  Dr. B is having a custom implant made just for me.  This is something that the average OS  wouldn't/ couldn't do. 

Dr. B. has also helped another person here that couldn't get help elsewhere.  One doctor had told him that the pain was all in his head another doctor told this guy that he should just live on pain meds for 10 years then have the TKR redone.  Dr. B. was able to tell this guy what was wrong with his TKR.

He spends a great deal of time explaining what is wrong with your knee and what he can do to help.  He will answer all of your question.  If he decides to do your surgery he will explain what implant he thinks will work best for your situation.

You may want to post under the TKR section, you will get more responses.  I would be glad to answer any question you may have.

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline hofstet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 10:06:28 PM »
Jan,
Thank you very much for the information.
-Hofstet

support