Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Skin Irritation with Brace  (Read 2278 times)

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Skin Irritation with Brace
« on: March 17, 2006, 07:17:47 PM »
Hey all!! This is not about my knee per se, but about the knee in a sense. I wear a donjoy trupull for my L knee while i am waiting for a TTT(whenever it happens....), and i haven't really been having problems with the brace, until a couple days ago. Is it possible to have a delayed allergic reaction or something with the material in the brace? It is along the lateral side below the knee, and it is a bright red, itchy, raised area...yesterday it had some drainage?! I have never had this problem and been wearing the brace for close to 5 months now. If i don't wear it my kneecap will most certainly dislocate, so going without is not an option. If i was to put some antibacterical lotion/cream on it, with a gauze do you all think that might help to clear it up? I am doubtful it is allergic as it is only in the one spot, but i can't think of anything else that it could be. Thanks so much!!
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
Re: Skin Irritation with Brace
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:29:21 PM »
I had that problem w/ my brace when i was in highschool - wasn't an allergy, but i got a large red spot, that looked almost like a blister w/out fluid, that started weeping... I asked my gp about it, and he advised to air it as much as possible, so whenever i wasn't up and about, i removed the brace.  Also, i did use some antibiotic cream on it, and my gp gave me one of those absorbent, stretchy fabric tubes that goes inside a cast against the skin to wear under the brace so that it didn't happen again.  This worked WONDERFULLY and may be something you could ask your GP about, to help you use the brace while you wait?  You shouldn't need an appointment - just a phone call and then a trip over to pick up the liner (I'd recommend getting about 3 times what you need, that way you have one while the others are being washed)...
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 09:46:13 PM »
Leah,

Maybe try wearing a brace sock under your brace. I found they prevent the irritation and keeps the brace from sliding.

http://www.totalbiker.co.uk/product_details.asp?pid=86

http://www.bracesox.com/Product/

If you use polysporin that should help your chafed leg and the socks can be found at places that supply home health care products or brace shops. 

Good luck and let us know how you do.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 02:52:34 AM »
I've gotten both a rash and a blister like pressure sore. A bracesox worked wonders to help prevent the rash and a padded bandage helped with the pressure sore.
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline jillycats

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:49:52 AM »
I developed a skin irritation after wearing a neoprene brace for about 6 months. Now I'm intolerant to neoprene and have to have a brace that doesn't have any in. I tried leaving the brace off as much as possible, but in the long run the only alternative was to get a different style of brace.

Jilly
Oct 00  - judo injury - broke tibia, dislocated knee, damaged all ligaments, nerve injury. Initial LCL and MCL recon. July 01 - arthroscopy and removal of hardware. April 02 - further LCL repair July 02 - PCL recon Oct 05 - removal of hardware, removal of excess bone growth, double arthroscopy.