Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Doc fixed meniscus but leaves ALC tear - Why?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Janss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Doc fixed meniscus but leaves ALC tear - Why?
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »
I had a meniscus tear removed this week.  It was the only thing noted on the MRI.  The surgeon clearly said that the MRI is not 100% accurate.  My understanding was that he would fix what ever didn't show up on the MRI.  In fact they even quoted me pricing based on what he might find.  Well he found a torn ALC and didn't fix it claming that he legally couldn't touch it since I didn't consent to an ALC fix.  So now I face the whole cost of another surgery.  Is this typical?  Do I have any recourse?

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Doc fixed meniscus but leaves ALC tear - Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 12:21:09 AM »
Hi Janss,

you don't say when you did the injury. Generally, they don't fix an ACL at the same time as a diagnostic arthroscopy for several reasons. Not everyone needs an ACL recon, and even if you do need one they will get you to do lots of physio and rehab to build up the muscles beforehand and achieve good ROM. If the injury was recent, there might be too much swelling of the knee and soft tissues.

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline Janss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 04:58:02 AM »
My original injury was in Aug of '05.  I passed on an MRI at the time and did PT myself.  I would agrivate it about every two months.  Very little pain, but my leg would gvie out ,with pain, while piviting like in soccer.

harry78

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 12:22:54 PM »
I think its normal practice to fix or remove the damaged part of the meniscus before ACLR, but one thing bothers me here. If the meniscus is repaired, then surely without an ACL no matter what people say about getting by without one, this could damage the repair and need further surgery anyway!? If it was me I would schedule the ACL reconstruction asap because of this reason.

Offline darnknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:05:33 AM »
To Janss,
  You described my knee exactly.  I also have troube bending.  My kneecap feels like someone hit it with a hammer when I flex my leg completely.  Is this how yours felt?  Also, I'd want everything fixed at once.  However, I understand the legal issues for the doc.  I am new to this site and trying to get experiences/information about my upcoming menisectomy (I think that's how it's spelled).

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 11:23:27 AM »
I had a meniscus tear removed this week.  It was the only thing noted on the MRI.  The surgeon clearly said that the MRI is not 100% accurate.  My understanding was that he would fix what ever didn't show up on the MRI.  In fact they even quoted me pricing based on what he might find.  Well he found a torn ALC and didn't fix it claming that he legally couldn't touch it since I didn't consent to an ALC fix.  So now I face the whole cost of another surgery.  Is this typical?  Do I have any recourse?

He did the right thing. If he'd given you a full reconstruction without your consent, you could sue the bejezus out of him and the hospital. He was covering himself and the hospital.

It sucks, but unfortunately that's the way it is.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline Janss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:55:51 PM »
Darnknee,
I was able to extend my leg without pain, I couldn't bend it in all the way without pain.  Make sure you discuss with your Doc exactly what procedures he will and will not do while in there.  Good Luck

harry78

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:10:48 PM »
Janss go for surgery if you can't cope. If you need to twist and turn then do it. I found that an ACL rupture hampered my sleep considerably.

Cheers H

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:58:59 AM »
My OS performed my ACLR during what I'd call a diagnostic arthroscope.  But we'd agreed at the start that if when he got in there and looked around, it needed doing then he'd do it.  I signed the paperwork.  I guess it was more like he went in prepared to do it and if he didnt need to then he wouldnt.  They were pretty sure I needed an ACLR before I had the surgery even though I didnt have an MRI. Im glad they did it this way, cos it meant only one surgery. 

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

harry78

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:10 PM »
Yes I agree with you alla- I had tests, x-rays and MRI scan and even then the OS wanted to see inside the joint so I had a exploratory arthroscopy and before this he told me an ACL reconstruction will happen + treating other findings. Yet in Janns case surely a meniscal repair within a ACL deficient knee joint is risky? I have given this post alot of thought and surely the question should be asked by the OS that if there is a tear of the ACL then do you want a reconstruction? Thus going through certain scenario's with Janns before the operation.
I personally think that this is poor competence if Janns does have problems later on.

Harry.

support