Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: torn meniscus with lateral release  (Read 2440 times)

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
torn meniscus with lateral release
« on: March 17, 2006, 01:03:32 AM »
HI ALL!!!  JUST HAVE GENERAL QUESTIONS ABOUT MY UPCOMING SURGERY MAR31.  IM HAVING ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY FOR A TORN MENISCUS AND A LATERAL RELEASE DONE.  FIRST HAS ANYONE HAD THIS SAME OPERATION DONE.  I AM EXPECTED FOUR WEEKS OFF DOES THIS SEEM RIGHT?? AND 16 WEEKS OF PT.  JUST WANTING TO KNOW ABOUT PAIN ETC.  I HAVE TO GET CRUTCHES YET.  ANY INFO ON THIS PROCEDURE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS.

Offline NYRPruchaFan25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: torn meniscus with lateral release
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:43:26 AM »
hey...i had this procedure done about 3 years ago.  all went well and i was back to playing soccer in 5 weeks.  my dr had me using a cane the first day and then walking on it after that.  the 2nd and 3rd day was the worst, after that the pain was not bad at all.
arthriscope for meniscal tear and lateral release -7/29/03
Elmslie Trillat for dislocating patella -2/15/06
~*~ 19 years old tryin to play soccer again ~*~

Offline tensha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 03:58:46 AM »
hello there, I torn my meniscus on october 2005 had surgery on november, had 12 weeks of p. t.
had accupuncture, to this day i'm still out of work and not healed properly
maybe being 59 has something to do with it... doctor says its scar tissue  ..GOOD LUCK!!

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:29:05 AM »
Hi, had meniscus removed in 1999 ..was on crutches for 3 days..went back to teaching ballet after a week..had 12 sessions of pt...had open knee surgery with LR in Dec of 05 and was on crutched for one day...back teaching ballet after 2 weeks..still having pt now, but doing remarkebly well...needed no pain medication, but that's just me.....try to strenghten your quad as much as possible before you go in...it'll really helps afterward...good luck!!

Hilde ;)
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 04:38:36 AM »
It all depends on what your job is and how bad the damage is inside your knee. I 'm afraid it's impossible to generalize from patient to patient...I had my LR and partial menisectomy four years ago and haven't been the same since.  I never returned to normal activities.  Of course, I'm an extreme case, but I think that people who have no pain and limited time away from normal activities are likely at the other end of that spectrum.  I was on crutches for 7 days or so, off pain meds during the day after 6 days, and was able to get to my mailbox within about 10 days (half a block away).  I initially rehabbed well and was getting better before things got worse at about 3 months post-op.

Before my surgery, my OS told me I'd be back in the gym in four weeks, back hiking in 4-6 months.  I think that's pretty realistic.  If you have a desk job with minimal physical activity, four weeks should be good.  If you have to be on your feet all day or cover a lot of distance...from my experience, that would be brutal.  Others probably did better than I did.

I had several post-op complications and didn't start PT until a full week post-op--I think these facts were the source of my issues.  I had a post-op joint bleed (hemarthrosis) and developed severe scar tissue in the joint (arthrofibrosis), in part likely due to delayed motion and the blood in the joint.  Again, my case is extreme but I think it's a good cautionary tale!  Get into early PT....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline NYRPruchaFan25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 08:10:59 AM »
i had my meniscus repaired and a LR and i was back to work in 2 weeks.  my job is far from a desk job (i work at a restaurant).  i was on my feet all day and it was sore, im not gonna lie but i was able to do it.
arthriscope for meniscal tear and lateral release -7/29/03
Elmslie Trillat for dislocating patella -2/15/06
~*~ 19 years old tryin to play soccer again ~*~

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 06:47:18 PM »
HEY GUYS, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE FEEDBACK.  IM ACTUALLY  A TELLER AND I WORK AT A GROCERY STORE ON WEEKENDS.  IT SOUNDS LIKE THE FOUR WEEKS IS PRETTY LEGIT.  I DONT KNOW OF ANYONE AROUND HERE THAT HAS HAD THE SAME PROCEDURE DONE SO ALL FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. .  I DID THE DISLOCATION ETC ON JAN WHEN WE HAD AN ICE STORM.  EVER SINCE IVE BEEN IN A LOT OF PAIN. ONE DAY IM GOOD THE NEXT DAY NOT.  IM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BETTER, LIKE I SAID BUT WORRIED ABOUT THE PAIN.  THANKS ALL AGAIN

Offline jchicago

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »
CynnieB4,

That darn ice!!!   >:(   I fell three times this winter on the stuff.

Anyway, I just had my LR on Friday.  Used a walker for the first day or so, and now I'm getting around with a cane, and it really doesn't cause that much more pain if I put weight on it.    The knee just sort of throbs all the time, and feels like a burning pain.  But with pain killers it is managable.  I'm thinking of walking to the corner store (1 block away) later today to see how I do.  If I were you, I wouldn't mess with crutches.  Most people are too clumsy with them anyhow, and the last thing you want to do is slip and fall after surgery.  Get yourself a cane, and a walker for the first week.  The hospitals have a lending service for them, or they can tell you were a lending closet is.

It sounds like four weeks off might be a bit much, but if you are in a profession where you need to be on your feet all day, then I could see why.  You should try to keep the leg elevated when you can, because if you're standing on it all day, then you might experience quite a bit of swelling.  I've been keeping my leg propped up and iced, and that has helped my pain and prevented swelling.

Offline brendamag

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »
I had the same "surgery" done a year ago. I had about 2-weeks of PT at the facility - the rest I did on my own at the gym. I've had great success had been running and playing soccer. BYW - I'm older (45) and didn't learn to play soccer until three years ago. I never had crutches, cane, or walking assistance with this one, but I had a lateral release done on my other knee in '96 and had crutches for one day. They told me, the didn't want me using crutches past the very first day and if I showed up for my post-op appt. with them, they'd take them away.
Pain-wise, the first day is the worst, after the knee block wears off, but I still did't think it was that bad. Expect the first day of pt to not be very fun - the put me on the bike right off, to help with mobility and get things moving. The first three minutes is awful, but bear with it - you'll feel a whole lot better after! ICE is your friend!
I was also told by my Dr. that a life-long regime of strength training (nautilus or other such equipment) will be necessary to keep my knees in decent shape. I have taken this seriously!

brenda mag