Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post operation knee replacement problems  (Read 986 times)

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • the4pages
Post operation knee replacement problems
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:56:20 PM »
Hi,

I'm adding this on behalf of my mother in law.

She has had both her left and right knee replaced. The first being the her right, which has been a total success. Rehabilitiation has been excellent and this knee is "as good as new". This replacment took place in July 2003.

In Aug 04 she had her left knee replaced - this is a different story. From the beginning there was pain to the left side of her knee, but with the help of physio is able to walk and bend it (very good range). However, she cannot put weight onto the knee to go upstairs. She comes down stairs putting most of the weight on the banisters which are either side of the stairs.

She says the knee feels like having something caught at the side of the knee cap. As she had the operation "done" under the "paitents charter", neither the operating consultant or, the one at her local hospital will take any responsibility for it, so has not been able to see either of them.

She has since moved from the area where the operation took place (London) to Birmingham.

Does that fact that she has move NHS areas affected her chances of getting someone to look at her knee within the foreseeable future?
Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing the pain?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

Gavin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:02:50 PM by gavpage »
Knee injury whilst playing football Jan 06 - told to rest for two weeks
Feb 06 - knee collapsed playing football
Mar 06 Diagnosed with torn ACL and meniscus tear
3rd August - Hamstring ACL and meniscus trim

Offline vickers01933

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post operation knee replacement problems
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:18:52 AM »
Hi I had tkr in Oct 2005 had lots of pain when trying to bend my knee, Felt like something rubbing on the outer side of knee. Had op under NHS but at a bupa hospital. They did not want to know about my problems, so early in March i could not stand the pain any longer and paid private for a OS consultation. After x-raying it was obvious what the problem was. Overhanging of the Tibial component this is also causing inflamation to the tendons and ligaments. I am now back on the NHS waiting list as i need to have the TKR done again.
           I advise you to pay to have a consultation as if i hadnt done so i would never have found out what the problem was.
                                                                       Good Luck. :-

harry78

Re: Post operation knee replacement problems
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 02:18:16 PM »
Hello

I had my knee operation in Birmingham and the hospital concerned was excellent for my injury. The good thing is that it is solely an orthopaedic hospital and it is situated in Northfield. If your mother register's there and gets a referral to this hospital- then her chances are excellent. I can't name the hospital for certain reasons.

Hope this helps. Harry