Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Foot turning different colour?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline PoppetK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Foot turning different colour?
« on: March 19, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »
I had surgery for a tibial plateau fracture a week and a half ago and I've been noticing that the foot on the leg I had surgery on is sometimes a slightly different colour from my other one.

When I've got my leg elevated it's fine, but when I stand up it turns a kind of purple/grey colour.  It's bad for a few minutes but then eases off and gets lighter.

Is this normal?  ???

When in hospital the doctors were constantly checking my foot.  It was warm, no pins & needles and I can wiggle my toes and ankle no problems.

Should I be concerned?  Is it just because my leg now spends a lot of time elevated is something more sinister?

Thanks,
Hayley

Offline favouritesearcher

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Foot turning different colour?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 05:59:10 AM »
Hi Hayley,

It is common to have your foot change colour when it goes from being elevated to being stood upon.  This is because the blood pools in the foot before the veins have had a chance to start pumping the blood back up.  Using the leg helps the veins to work properly.

The doctors keep checking your foot because sometimes bleeding can press in on the nerves etc and cause compartment syndrome.

I think that your doctors are treating you very well now, because mobilising the knee in a CPM machine does a lot towards getting the best possible result.

John
Mar 04 - Tibial spine avulsion fracture (skiing). Open surgery to fix, 1 screw.  Max passive ROM 20-75, active ROM 30-45
Aug 04 - Diag. severe arthro. Scar tissue clean up (LOA, removal of scar tissue).
Feb 05 - Discharged from surgeon's care. ROM 3-125.
Apr 05 - Discharged from physio. Same ROM

Offline darnknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:57:16 AM »
You had better go back to your doctor and have your circulation in that limb checked.  I am new to this site, but I am a nurse, and color change is NOT a good thing!  Good luck!

Offline hempty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »
In my experience it is totally normal, my whole leg goes blotchey and purple when i stand up, dont panic, as long as you have good feeling in your foot and no calf pain or new pain then it should be fine. As you start to exercise more it will stop this..try and exercise your ankle and foot/toes as it is elevated..
ex uk team cyclist then-arthroscopes x3, LR both knees, emslie trillet right knee, screw removal right knee, fulkersons left knee..

Offline PoppetK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:52:35 AM »
Thanks so much for replying everyone.  Hempty - I've go no new pain or calf pain at all.  It feels totally fine.  In fact, the only pain I do have is from the bruising from the surgery and the incision where the surgeon drilled, my knee itself feels great - stiff but great!

I'll work on moving my ankle/toes more when elevated.

Thanks,
Hayley

Offline hempty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »
Hi,

It will continue to be tender for a while, it will hurt if you knock it, even after a few months! plenty of ice and do your physio..
i am currently using a mini skateboard as a cpm machine! it works pretty well, just taking care not to leave it around!!
keep up the good work
jane-hempty
ex uk team cyclist then-arthroscopes x3, LR both knees, emslie trillet right knee, screw removal right knee, fulkersons left knee..

support