Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Back to sport...after two years!  (Read 1132 times)

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Back to sport...after two years!
« on: March 19, 2006, 04:46:51 AM »
Hey Everyone!

It's been a while since i last posted so i hope everyone is holding up alright ;)
After my hip recon last year i've finally returned back to play hockey! It's a bit exciting! I've discussed playing sport with both of my orthopaedic surgeons and niether of them want me to play hockey, they feel that swimming or bike riding would be more beneficial. However, hockey is my sport and after playing it for 10 years and having to give it up because of my hip and knees one of the main reasons i chose to have surgery done was because it could give me the opportunity to go back to sport!

Anyway...enough rambling on there...i'm a bit worried because so far whenever i have gone to hockey trainings and games it is my knee that gives me agony not my hip which is ironic. I have had two cartilege operations one my left lateral mensicus for tears that occured during a dislocation. My knee hasn't been sore but whenever i play i spend the next day limping. It feels as if i have torn it fresh again, i have pain when twisting and bending. However it seems to go back to normal each time, at the moment i have no pain at all!

Something that concerns me is that i have paid $450 to play the season...its only just begun, i'm hoping that this isn't a sign of worse things to come...i want to play for a whole year!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Back to sport...after two years!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 11:55:12 AM »
I understand that you want to continue though your docs think you shouldn't..have been so myself.
Have you asked them why you should avoid it ?  Maybe bracing the knee could prevent from further damages.
Just a thought...do remember to really know why they don't think you should continue and think if it's really worth it if your knees and hip can become real damaged in the future just because of the hockey.

HUGS NETTAN former sportfreak 8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

harry78

Re: Back to sport...after two years!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:18:30 PM »
Hi pip,

Well I think that a dislocation either patella or knee, could mean that you do have to recover great strength in your legs before committing to playing again. This is a similar situation to mine whereby also need to assess at what time I'll be ready to play again competitively(hockey too ironically) but this season is just finishing in the UK so I think that playing Cricket will be a good thing to play before the vigours of hockey.
You need to take the advice from the professionals because they have seen the damage in your knee firsthand and dismissing it would be dangerous. How does the hip and knee feel? It sounds as if the hip could be ok but the knee is the joint that will have to deal with most weight as it transfers from one leg to another. My advice would be to further strengthen the quads and hams so that the tightening effect takes place and lasts. This in turn could mean you play hockey at a lower intensity before hitting the targets hard.

Take care Harry.