Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Baker's cysts behind both knees, one reptured and I need to know how to treat it  (Read 774 times)

Offline PBK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
 :(Hello, I am new to this site, or any other site for that matter. I am scheduled for total knee replacement in April for my right knee, and after recovery, TKR on my left knee. What is really hurting me is a ruptured Baker's cyst in my right leg. The only thing my doctor's assistant told me was that I had a Baker's cyst. I had to research the symptoms to find a match with a ruptured cyst. I have intense pain behind the knee, some swelling, the one on my left knee is larger and is not ruptured. I believe the right cyst ruptured about 8 weeks ago after a strenuous stationary cycling, as since then I have had unbelievable pain behind the knee, down the back of the calf, and when driving it goes all the way down to the foot because of the way my knee is cocked. This pain keeps me awake throughout the night with a dull aching pain from the knee down to the ankle. An intense dull aching, and it persists and worsens during the day with activity such as standing, sitting if my knee is bent, etc. A bruise like discoloration around my ankle is slowly subsiding, but this daily pain on top of the knee pain in both knees is ruining my fragile sense of well being as it severely interferes with sleep.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might treat this, i.e., ice, heat, hot bathes, leg elevation and rest, etc.?  I have a pretty bad dose of arthritis/degenerative joint disease in my cervical and lumbar/sacral spine, and have had surgical consultations for both areas, but am trying to put them off for as long as possible.  If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. I also have no idea of how long these things persist, but I do know that my surgeon has said they will remove or repair it when they do the TKR surgery.  Feel free to email me, as I have no idea how to navigate this site and don't know where this post will end up.

support