Banner - Hide this banner

Poll

British? Do you use the NHS service or opt for private health care?

NHS
18 (72%)
Private Health Care
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: NHS Thread!  (Read 22079 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Hating the NHS today!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »
sorry hop gotta go for now - getting those looks telling me that i am being anti social - got family round - be back later
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline foxpot

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • I will be the cat that got the cream
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 05:34:04 PM »
i know how you are feeling hop.....I have been waiting since september 20th for a half knee joint replacement and will be having it done on april 13th....thats a month over the 6 month wait....hopefully you wont have to wait much longer than the 6 months....

foxpot :)
*******foxpot*******†
*******† † † †† *******

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:33 PM »
Hi Hop
I am soooo sorry - totally forgot to come back to you.
Basically I had total rupture of acl and tore all the cartalidge in my right knee when I was 18 - I was at the district police training centre doing gymnastics - haven't done that since!

Had the option of having acl replaced using carbon fibre - but was strongly advised not to as I was still growing! - so had all the cartalidge removed as it was so badly damaged - had that done over 2 ops - open surgery -apparently they didn't do keyhole back then!so have 2 x 3 inch scars either side of my knee - it used to give way without warning.

built up muscles big time and continued with police career and sport - county swimming and cross country (one half marathon!)
Unable to do anything sportwise now - other than upper body or swimming as long as dont use right leg - grade 4 arthritis now - had the knee cleaned out a few times - now having tkr on 26/6.  OMG so scared but would do it right now given the chance - having some serious trouble walking/standing - the slightest 'wrong' move and it makes me squeal! dont mean to comes out - very painful to drive as well - feel that I am coming to the end of my knee very rapidly - actally getting quite stressed as can't seem to get on top of pain/not able to prevent hurting myself. Unfortunately my financial circumstances are such that I have to continue working - although my husband has this idea that we could survive - wot no new shoes/handbags/clothes/makeup - no chance lol
take care and keep in touch
anja
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2006, 02:32:43 PM »
Hi Foxpot
Good luck with your surgery on April the 13th, what are you having done? Waiting sucks eh! Wish I could go in tomorrow and get it over with. Let us know how you are getting on?

Hi Anja
How you doing? Grade 4 ouch! My grade 3 feels bad enough! I know what you mean about the driving and squealing. I walk vcery strangely as it hurts and is so unstable. I have to be careful not to twist at all or big ouch! So it's the gymnastics eh!
I did my first disolcation in a ballet exam but I think mine was largely to do with gymnastics too, I used to train 5 times a week. (Passed my coaching exam too) I don't / can't do any of that wither now. I have been meaning to go swimming as I love it (qualified lifeguard too) but am so scared of falling over and hurting myself! My other half said he'd take me so I can use him as a crutch! I can't believe you did half a marathon with no cartalidge! Just think at the end of June you'll have a brand new non hurting shiny knee. What a result. It's just a shame we have to go through all the pain to get there.
With regards to driving... Is it your right or left leg, if left, automatic car perhaps?
A life without the necessities NO WAY. (shoes, make up etc tee hee)
How is it feeling how are you feeling at the moment?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Hop

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 06:31:32 PM »
Hi everyone!
Its looking promising with the private health care.  doc foned me today asking if i can do next saturday, 12.30!  i said YES.  its a 4 hour drive each way, so im hoping its worth while.  only thing is for the last year and a half, whenever my knee was bad or i was feeling down, my boyfriend was there to help, but its my parents taking me up to wigan and my mum wont let my boyfriend come.  she said he'll get in the way.  when last time i went to see an OS, i said about two words, she just wouldnt shut up, my boyfriend just held my hand, nothing else.  i said i want to go in on my own and she said she needs to be there.  i want my boyfriend to come and if anyone is coming into the consultation with me its my dad, but mum wont even let my boyfriend tag along and wait outside.  I cant believe it.  My boyfriend and I were discussing marriage and were hoping to get engaged soon, but my mum wont let him come along, but he has more right to be ther than she does!  i cant make her understand
charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.† And I'm only 20!

Offline foxpot

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2006, 07:22:38 PM »
Hi Foxpot

Good luck with your surgery on April the 13th, what are you having done?

I am having a unicompartmental knee joint replacement on my right knee, I had my left knee done in feb 05, what are you waiting to have done?

xx
foxpot
*******foxpot*******†
*******† † † †† *******

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »
Hi Charlotte
With regards to your appointment surely it's your decision as to who goes with you? It's not your mum's knee it's yours and if your boyfriend is the person who you want to be with then that's your decision. Don't let your mum take over. I can understand her motherly concern, she's your mum and that's what mum's do. Explain to her how you feel rationanlly, she loves you I'm sure you can make it right. The most important thing is you have the appointment that you have been looking forward to, this could be the start of something really good. This OS os the one who could help, focus on the positives.
Hop x

Hi Foxpot - What does the unicompartmental part mean? I'm having a TTT and laterla release, was changed to an urgent patient last week so hopefully it won't be too much linger.

Hi Anj
How are you doing?

Hope you are all having a good knee day.
Hop

Offline foxpot

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2006, 03:29:22 PM »

Hi Foxpot - What does the unicompartmental part mean?

it means I am having a half knee replacement rather than a full one

I'm having a TTT and laterla release,

what does TTT and latela release mean?
*******foxpot*******†
*******† † † †† *******

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »
Hi Fox Pot

TTT stands for Tibial Tubercle Transfer also know as a femoral osteotomy, the verson I'm havein is called a Fulkersons named after the doctor who pioneared it I think.
Click on this link, then I agree then knee. It shows animations of that and the Lateral release.
http://www.kneehippain.com/patient/animations.html

It also shows a full knee replacement but not the version that you are having. Have you had knee problems for a while? What's brought you to this point?

Hop

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
Hi hop
hope you are having a good weekend -do you have an op date? - being lazy not reading through above again.
To be quite honest I am having a horrible one - not only have I managed to put 3lb back on but my knee hurts sooo much - too many days at work - my own fault for agreeing to help my boss out - maybe regretting it now. Have just eaten huge bar of choc - shouldnt have done it - think gonna go back to the fags - have put on over 2 stone since gave up at new year!!! - Go on holiday on Thurs which will do my knee so much good then think will have to go to weight watchers (with fags in pocket lol) must lose that excess again before op - can give up fags again  ::)
anja

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
Dont go back to the fags!!!!! dont do it, better too heavy than poison yourself with that!!! the weight will come off when your knee recovers.  Maybe take it a bit easier on the work though.  And the more you feel guilty about eating chocolate the more you'll want.  so dont feel guilty!
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.† And I'm only 20!

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »
Hi Anja
Thatís a hard one about the fags. I have given up a few times and the same thing has happened to me with the weight gain! Have you tried substituting fags and chocolate with say sugar free gum? Try to find another way. Youíll kick yourself if you start smoking again. The first week of giving up is so hard, youíll have to go through that again.  With regards to weight watchers, have you tried it before? I couldnít stick to a diet if I tried! This year I decided to make a concentrated effort to think about what I put in my mouth. I still eat what I want but smaller portions and more veg than meat, wine instead of beer. Iíve lost just over a stone, itís coming off slowly but hey I donít care how long it takes as long as it stays off!
Great news that you are going on holiday, where are you going, how long etc? Iím slightly envious!

Hi Charlotte
How are you doing today?

Hop
x

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2006, 08:37:52 PM »
hi charlotte - just feeling very fat and full after choccie bar ;D hubbies fault for not being here to stop me - he went out at 5 am - still not back - on call catering equipment engineer(electrician/corgi gas) Think he is at lakeside now , trouble is already has 3 calls for tomorrow - clocks go forward tonight - poor bugger wont get much kip. †Going to Gambia Thurs - cant wait - might go parasending - told the kids how easy it is but long time since I have done it - seem to remember it was easy landing ;D †perhaps will let them go first. will try to keep off fags dont want to have them but need to sort it out.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2006, 08:48:44 PM »
hi hop
you be very envious!! lol oh I cant wait - we booked it last july when my daughter was in Thailand - it is her 18 th birthday friday and we knew she didnt want a party and that summer hols was out because of my op - she is going to uni in sept so we wanted a family holiday before she went. only going for a week. have been topping up my tan on my sunbed!

have done weightwatchers before - very successful while you stick to it like any diet ;D

and yes I know the theory very well about eating less just have No wilpower - was okay a week ago but thing the old pain chasing has got on top of me.

Lucky you mentioned wine - forgot I had put a bottle in the freezer at 6 - nearly frozen solid - will have to drink it now. - lager is actually better than wine for calories
ange

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2006, 09:29:28 PM »
Hey Anj
Kenya! Wow, that's will be amazing. Are you going on safari? What a wonderful present for your daughter. Certainly more memorable than a party!
My fiance and I are getting married next year and want to go abroad alone to do it so am looking forward to that.
We would have liked to have done that this year, but I can't before my op because of pain etc and think I'll be in rocovery for a while, but it's certainly something to really look forward to. I should have lost the weight I want to loose by then too!
I hope you have a wonderful time. ;)

Hop