Banner - Hide this banner

Poll

British? Do you use the NHS service or opt for private health care?

NHS
18 (72%)
Private Health Care
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: NHS Thread!  (Read 22042 times)

Hop skip n jump

Re: Hating the NHS today!
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2006, 10:17:45 AM »
Hi Charlotte

One more sleep until you see your Knee guru! Hoorah! I will be keeping everything crossed for you. When I go to OS appointments I usually wear jogging bottoms with boxer shorts underneath so I'm decent! I do the same for PT too. I think it's only fair on my OS after all he didn't sign up to be a gynaecologist!  ;)

Before I have my next op I'm going to cut down the outside of the bad legs seam and sew in a couple of buttons so they only have to go over one leg, under my bottom and then I can button them up without having to pull them up over the poorly leg! I thought I'd do the same with an old pair of jogging bottoms but on the bad side cut the leg off too so that side is the button up short thing! Hope that made sense!
 I'll send you an email later to catch up.
Hop x

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2006, 11:04:39 AM »
REALLY REALLY REALLY hate the NHS today! Have just spoken to the admissions office again. I spoke to her 2 weeks ago when she told me I would be marked down as an urgent patient. Well nothings changed! She sounded really stressed!

In the meantime my doctor has received a response from my OS asking if it is an appointment that needs expediating or the surgery! Doh! MOre time wasting.

Apparentely my OS works half a day in surgery a week. He is off because of the bank holiday at Easter and then the following 2 weeks after that too for training or something. So that's another month gone and obviously there are people ahead of me.
She said the best she can do is to get me assessed and then I could possibly go in if someone cancels. How long it will take for that to come through I don't know.

This is causing me real problems at work. They need to know when I won't be here as there is no one to cover my position (I run a department) also I'm desperate to talk to my OS to get an indication of his protocal as have also just discovered my work only pay 10 days sick a year! So I'll have to use my 20 days holiday and then go onto statutory sick pay 66 per week if I need more time to recover.

I think I'm just going to stop calling them and just wait and see what happens and just try to stop thinking about it. It would  easy to not think about it if it didn't hurt so bloody much. Foots gone now, covered in eczema cos of the pain meds.
Rant rant rant rant rant rant. Going for a cigarette!!
Sorry

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »
Know exactly how you feel!! I phoned the admissions people yesterday because I hadn't heard about my upcoming surgery. I was told that the funding had run out and everybody now has to wait a further 6 months to 1 year!! What the hell do I do now!!!

ally xx

Offline Elly

• Regular Poster
  • Cheer up, Charlie
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2006, 12:02:30 PM »
hello, sorry to hear your having a frustrating wait - you'll get there in the end.

Just a word about eczema - when I first saw the OS my eczema was slightly flared up and the physio told me to try and get rid before the surgery. This is because if you have broken skin it increases infection risk, so if you are an elective case they may put off surgery until your skin is better.

I know it's hard and worse if your stressed or because of medication - I've had it forever and nothing ever completely cleared it up until I changed from a cream to an ointment, which was like a magic cure for me!

Hope you feel better soon  :)
2006- Left hamstring ACL recon
          Med & Lat meniscectomy

2013 - Graft Failed, OA, and some kind of weird popping!?

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2006, 05:36:21 PM »
Hi

Ally that sucks, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to wait for such a long time. Can you not been seen somewhere else? I was told that hospitals get fined now if they lkeep apatient waiting for loger than 6 months. This is why people sometimes go to private hospitals for treatment cos it's cheaper for the trust to pay for private treatment than the fines they would receive. Or something like that. I hope your situation is resolved.

Thanks for the advice Elly I'll work on getting it sorted. Wish I coule wake up and it was a few months later! Guess I shouldn't wish my life away though eh.
Hope everyones having a good knee day'
Hop  ;D

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »
Hi all
sorry to hear everyones having such a bad time, im now on the dreaded NHS waiting list for an arthroscopy, yay.  i mean great that theyre doing something, bad about the waiting. 
i heard too that they have to keep within the 6 months now or send you private or elsewhere. 

as for eczema, i suffer with it to varying extents, but i was recently given like an intensive moisturiser to use as well as hydrocortisone that i have for when its bad.  the moisturiser catches it before it gets bad, and i have a bath/shower stuff too.  cetraben cream and cetraben emollient.  really really good.  i went from bleeding hands and arms to a little bit of dry skin in a week.  its well worth it, but its prescription only i think.  maybe ask at the pharmacy or gp.

charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem. And I'm only 20!

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2006, 09:27:06 AM »
Hi!

I only spoke to the lady at the end of the phone, who seemed to take great pleasure in telling me the wait was longer and the funding had run out. If I have to wait I have to wait, my only concern is I will have no one to keep a check on how my knee is doing.

My PT discharged me at christmas because he said there was nothing more he could do and I needed an operation to fix my knee. So really there is no one to check on it. I had a fall last week and a strange lump has appeared on the side of my knee, but who do I tell. My NHS doctor has no obvious contact point and my GP sucks. I'm really not sure what to do!!??

Ally xx

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »
Hi Ally

Have you thought about changing GP's? Alos your OD must have a secretary that you can contact. Don't let the system leave you in terms of having no one tha you can contact. Take control of the situation. Do you know what it is that you have to have done?
Keep your chni up darlin'

Hop x

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »
Hiya Hop!

I had a LR done in November 2005. My knee dislocates alot! It has a mind of it's own. I'm due to have key hole surgery first to assess how much joint is left, they have said that if there is enough they will do a realignement operation. My stoopid knee has worn away much of the cartilage and I have OA. Yeah for me, I'm 29 and my nan has better knees than me!!! She is 90!

Anyway, I gonna make an appointment with the GP tomorrow and start making a fuss, not really in my nature, but I'm tired of all this!!! Thanks for the advise!!

Ally xx

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2006, 07:10:23 PM »
Sorry to hear your bad news but hang in there.  I have been around the same cycle of hopes raised and dashed and even the 'next financial year' one.  I suppose I am lucky as I have my op scheduled.  I know it is difficult and all I can do is empathise at your situation.  I just kept thinking of all the things I could do as opposed to the things I couldn't (like drive a car) but I had great support from friends who have ferried me about when absolutely necessary.  There is always someone worse off and probably needs surgery sooner and your time will come.  I started this journey in July 2004 and have surgery this Friday - God willing.  Take care and keep taking the meds and doing your physio exercises.  Jak
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline sheri l

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2006, 07:45:05 PM »
Hi Hop... I am no longer living in the UK but I had my daughter at an NHS hospital and u have my full sympathy.
Although the staff were super there just werent enough clever people to go round and we could just rant on and on...
Hang in there...

Hi Charlotte just wanted to say that I REALLY do understand how u feel re uni... I am working and doing a degree part time plus I have two teenagers and my husband travels all the time.... when I injured my knee skiing earlier this month I thought...HOORAY time off to get a few assignments done.  Well really. What a joke.  In between the pain, frustration and indignity of it all I am now suffering GUILT because I just cant seem to get on with it.  By the time I have got myself up, kids out the door, loaded the washing machine, emptied the dishwasher, dragged myself up the stairs, removed my leg brace, showered, got my exercises done,brace back on I AM IN A STATE OF COLLAPSE.  And then I remember breakfast... so the nervewracking descent down the stairs, empty the washing machine, change the cat litter.... then I remeber that I have left my mobile upstairs.... and so it goes!
Of course I have been booked off work and whenever anyone speaks to me they say "oh isnt it great, you can get so much work done now.... i grit my teeth and bit my tongue.  For goodness sake.  When I am not in pain, overwhelmed by painkillers/muscle relaxants, I am using the remaining energy I have just to stay positive and polite.
So reading your few lines made me feel SO much better. Thank you. Bless you.  I understand.
Regards Sheri L
skiing injury 16 mar 06,
 unhappy triad,
acl healing response repair 3 May 06

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »
Hi Sheri

Thanks for your post, I hate being a moaning cow but sometimes you just nned to get it out of your system, plus it stops me from dumping it all over my fiance and family day in day out. None of us are having a great time but I'm a firm believer that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. It may not be a recovery for everyone but many other things can make us happy, right. I'm sorry you are struggling so much too. Day to day chores etc that most people take for granted can again for some of us feel like climbing a mountain! Stiil a bad day makes the good days seam great. Kee  ;)p your chin up girl

Jak- Good luck on Friday, I hope it all goes great for you and that your recovery is as pain free and uneventful as possible. Let us know when you get home how you are doing.

Ally - Don't forget to make those phone calls this week.

Happy knee days to you all.
Hop  ;D

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm back! :(
Had a great time - quite brown - and several days where I didnt have to take any pain meds!!!! very relaxing. Went on safari - great fun until had to go pee pee in the bush! - can't crouch very well at all .lol.

had one bad day - we were in the sea - big wave came over and thought I was caught up in seaweed - lifted my leg out and this strange stuff was wrapped around my ankle - blue strands with little spikes - started to sting and my husband tried pulling it off - got it round his wrist - by now burning very painful stinging - got the stuff off - hubbie bas shaking his hands and scraping it off his wrist - tragedy - his wedding ring flew into the sea - never to be found ! (not even married 2 years yet!- does that mean we are divorced?lol - got to laugh or will cry) but we got stung by portugese man of war jelly fish - OMG dont want that again - have pretty patterns on ankle now - look like tracks - the stings were excruciatingly painful - lifeguard treated them with vinegar - since found out that was totally wrong! - luckily had taken loads of anti histamine with us, but never had anything sting that bad - it was my bad knee leg and the leg ached and the pain went into lymph nodes lasted a couple of hours - we both got quite worried then it all went and just have marks left - and swollen ankle - pretty scary and lucky as know that people have died from these stings. later that day we went back to the beach and there were hundreds of them washed up on the beach - they are poisonous for several hours after being washed up - and have tendrils up to 40 ft long - no wonder we didnt see them!
might have to have another wedding/blessing for new ring!! lol party?

hope you are all okay will read through posts later - only got in at 4am today
take care
anja

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2006, 04:32:11 PM »
Hi Anj

You're back hooray! Glad you had a good time darlin' although the man of war experience sounds rather scary! It had to be your bad leg eh!  :o  Bloody typical! Loosing the ring too, what a bummer.  >:( At least it only took your hubs ring though, could have been a lot worse, they're nasty creatures!

What was the safari like? I would so love to do that. Did you daughter have a good birthday?
Things here have been pretty good, I'm giving up smoking today, have a perscription from the doctor for patches to pick up tonight and I also heard on Monday this week that I have my pre assessment appointment on the 21st April! So chuffed! Half way there now! They said they needed to do this before giving me a date so hopefully I will get sliced before July!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Have half an hour of work left, am looking forward to my Friday night few glasses of wine, yum! 

Good to hear from you.
Hop x

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Hating the NHS today!-(They are now forgiven!)
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2006, 06:53:34 PM »
Hey Hop
good to hear from you
Emz birthday was great - except she opened her present from chris and myself - duh - the bloody jewellers got the wrong ring!!!! - took it back today and went elsewhere to order the same one - they have said it will take another 8 weeks though!

The safari was great, we got picked up on swiss army trucks - bit of a struggle to get on - luckily they had a ladder for us cripps who couldnt jump on and off! the trucks had much more leg space than the plane and more comfortable (def. gonna upgrade when we go to egypt(not until 2008 for sons 18th)
We went to a place where an old boy (95) did palm tree tapping  - palm wine and fire water - both not really to our taste - yuck!

then went to a school which was really a charity event - spent quite some time there being shown around - terrible poverty then came the inevitable donation bit! They have to pay 100 a year to go to school there - so we put some in - unfortunately the rep said that we wouldnt need much money for the day so couldnt do too much but took the address and will prob send books for their new library- think we have more books at home then they have for the whole school!

Then we went to a place called paradise beach - fantastic place - had lunch there and lovely swim - mind you the waves were so strong kept getting knocked over-lol- not knee friendly really.
After that had some local tribes men do their dancing/snake in mouth routine! yuck. Then went to a local fruit wine distillery and just had to keep sampling the booze - very nice!
After that it was the long drive home - and saw monkeys in the tops of palm trees.
BUT everywhere that we went there were children running out at the trucks all saying  hello hello hello hello - drove ya mad all begging for sweets, money, school materials etc  - there were just children every corner you turned - quite dangerous- you are not allowed to throw things from the trucks as a child got killed 3 yrs ago running out to a truck.
excellent day!
The next day we went on a cruise up the river Gambia - lovely and relaxing - did some fishing and swimming and got VERY sunburnt!

The day before we left we went on a birds and breakfast trip on the river Gambia - left at 5.30 am!! Mad. but went on a little rowing boat- how do I get involved in these things - saw lots of local birds-parrots etc really interesting. Horrible drive back in mimi bus through the largest town in the Gambia - and it was market day.Their roads are mainly dirt tracks- the best roads are like our B roads.

Now to you! :)  Good luck with the patches - have to confess - had quite a few on hols :-X oops - back to work monday so will give up again- cant face the lectures.
What is your pre assesment appointment? is that like where they do the bloods etc before your op and discuss anastaesia etc? havent had this mentioned - just assumed that I would go in the week before for this appointment - maybe your op is gonna be sooner that you dare hope for (fingers crossed)
You should be home now - enjoy that wine and have one for me - official first day of healthy eating - had to watch hubby have fry up and daughter had fish n chips at lunch when we went out - I had tuna/cue sandwich :(
going to prep the dinner now - salad!

Hope you have a good weekend
anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

support