Banner - Hide this banner

Poll

British? Do you use the NHS service or opt for private health care?

NHS
18 (72%)
Private Health Care
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: NHS Thread!  (Read 22063 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Hating the NHS today!
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2006, 09:31:18 PM »
gambia hop
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2006, 09:40:34 PM »
Hi hop
no we are going to gambia not kenya.
dont know what there is to do yet - we will decide once we get there - there is a monkey sanctuary which i would like to visit so will have to wait and see.
had big plans for a trip into the sahara last summer but it got cancelled because it was too hot - the tour companies health and safety intervened - so will wait till we get there this time.

Congratulations on your engagement and wedding - do it here and have a honeymoon! - we got married 2 years ago and had big church/golf club reception/jamaican honeymoon - bloody fantastic -- my brother in law gor married in st lucia just before us and have not stopped moaning since they came to our wedding wishing they had done it the traditional way - they had a blessing/reception when they came back and needed another break after all that - if you go abroad make sure you have a few days to chill and catch up when you get back - we went straight back to work having had 3 weeks away - hard work

very well done with the weight - feel like you should have a glass of this wine ;D it was like a slush puppy wine!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2006, 09:55:30 PM »
Don't know what made me say Kenya! oops!  Sounds fab, monkey sanctuary, how cool. You will have a lovely tan!
We have both been married before and had the traditional thing. We really want to get married alone, just the two of us. We're going to both wear white linen and make it very simple. I can't wait to be his wife.
(shall I pass you the sick bucket lol!!!) We actually though of Jamaica amongst other places, there are too many places to choose between. We'll have a bit of a bash when we get back probably in the bar of the building we live in. (Old converted hotel)

Pass over a glass of slush puppy wine flavour, sounds lovely! I'll get the cheese and biscuits!!

Hop

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2006, 10:47:27 PM »
nearly went to bed then hubbie came back so need to give him time to chill - both at work at 8 am and the stupid clocks go forward!!!

Jamaica was beautiful - bit of a funny place though as you cant really go off resort unless organised trip - but still had fab time - dont go on one of those tyres on the back of a speed boat though - omg biggest mistake ever - plays havoc with knees - i came off it crying my eyes out! - brilliant waters for scuba and snorkelling if you're into that.

the next carribbean place i want to go to is aruba.
must go now coffee and bed!
night

Offline foxpot

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • I will be the cat that got the cream
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »
***Have you had knee problems for a while? What's brought you to this point?****

i have a genetic conditon and basically without being too graphic my kneecaps dislocated out of their sockets....I had a procedure called a roux goldwaith done a couple of years ago but while it did help I still needed more surgery....I had no choice as i was told I would be in a wheelchair in 18 months if i did not have the surgery and the reason they have given me a half knee is that a full knee only lasts 15 years and am 44 so will be needing 2 full new knees in the next 15 years, I have a web page that goes into detail about my condition if you would like to look at it...

xxx
foxpot

www.freewebs.com/marshwriggle
*******foxpot******* 

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2006, 06:00:51 PM »
OMG foxpot
have just seen your website and your weightwatchers bit - flip girl you must be annorexic - I havent weighed 9 stone since i was aboy 12 years old!!!
how tall are you? - think gonna have to def get back to WW after hols - trouble is dont like the leader in our town - very self righteous - makes me feel like I am bad even when I am good - last time I went lost 7lb in the first week! yes thinking now really should do it. my darling children bought me a beach bag and filled it with my fave things - marzipan ,lindt raspberry and aussie liquorice!!! ;D ;D ;D hehe

;Dmy knee trouble is just from injuries when 18 - ruptured acl and tore all cartalidge - just got worse over years - grade 4 arthriris which is eroding top of shin bone apparently - dont know too much detail - had two choices - fusion or tkr - simple. - hoping they come up with something new in the meantime - I am 43 - and the youngest person my OS has given tkr - so he promised to make it his best ever piece of work- hope he has a very good day - I do like him though and know a lot of people that have been under his knife including my 15 yr old who had acl reconstruction

Offline foxpot

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • I will be the cat that got the cream
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »
OMG foxpot
have just seen your website and your weightwatchers bit - flip girl you must be annorexic - I havent weighed 9 stone since i was aboy 12 years old!!!

you say all the right stuff:-)
*******foxpot******* 

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2006, 08:42:18 PM »
Hey Anj - Will remember the tip about the doughnut on the back of a boat although I would love to have a go!

Hi Foxpot - Have just been on your sire, cool. Loved the poems, bless ya. How long ago did you go to Malta? My parents used to take me there, I loved it. Really friendly and crystal clear waters. How's them knees today?

Hop

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2006, 10:00:15 PM »
hey Hop
DONT DO IT!

think will def do the parasending though as would prob be frowned on after tkr.  Have had to take a vow to totally repect new joint - quite understandable.
anj

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2006, 01:58:47 PM »
NOw im feeling worse, 9 stone, you must be happy.  im like 9 1/2 and the doc said lose more, he said i should be about 8 stone, maybe a little more, but then im only 5'2"!i think if i did get any less than 9 stone i would be very ill.  but all depends on your heoght and build, and have to remember that muscle is heavier than fat, so i say im just all muscle, and yes muscle does wobble!
I try to keep positive
charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2006, 09:30:28 PM »
Hi charlotte
cconfused me thinks - have not been 9 stone since I was about 12. Got another  5 stone on since then - need to be about 12 so 2 to come off - I am nearly 5'10 so can carry 12 off easily - thats only 28lb! there its easy - hee hee not. will concentrate on it when back from hols - will have about 13 weeks to sort myself out so if I aim for 2lb a week I will nearly be there. - why is it that when I put it like that it makes sense. - gonna ban chocolate,biscuits.cakes and wine - thar will prob equate to 5lb a day!  lol  dont see how you can be overweight at 9.5 stone - 8 stone would just be so unhealthy.  I have to confess that when I go under 12 stone people say that I look ill - that is actually where I feel that I look good. - and I am very muscular ;D actually do weight lifting at work every day - just stocking up the fruit and veg dept keeps me fit - and cheaper than the gym.
take care
anja

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2006, 12:19:23 PM »
Hi Anj, foxpot and Charlotte

I hope you are all having a good knee day today. So Anj tomorrow's the day, flying off to Gambia. How exciting.
Another reason for it to be a great day, Charolttes OS appointment. Everything is crossed for ya girl.

Foxpot - For us at least it means it's almost the weekend! lol
With regards to your conversations about weight I'm not far off from you Anj, I'm 6 feet tall and 2 stone overweight now. I too have decided to give up smoking, not on the day of surgery as planned but as soon as the 200 duty free's that I have are gone. I'm going to ask my doctor to write me a prescription for some patches. I figured it is more sensible to do it before hand because it's supposed to less risky going under if you don't smoke. Fingers and toes crossed. I feel sorry for my fiance though cos I know I'm going to be a right cow!! Am tempted to phone the admissions office again today as it's almost 2 weeks since I called the last time and was made an urgent case. Don't want to harrass them but really want a date. I had a dream last night that I got a call saying my surgery was this Thursday, very surreal! Not that I'm obsessing or anything, lol !!!

Sending you all a hug.
Hop  ;D

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2006, 12:20:31 PM »
Sorry Charlotte, it's Saturday isn't it, not Thursday! Doh
 :P

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2006, 09:40:16 PM »
Hi hop,charlotte and foxpot

just having a final check in now that all the packing is done - got a glass of wine and well chilled!
Hope you are all having a good day - right now my knee is crap but I have just had 10 days at work - not to be reccommended - but it doesnt matter as tomorrow I will be in a much warmer place for a while and that really does help.

Hop - this giving up smoking bit is not easy - I am having about 5 a day - whoops - just I know that I really will want a ciggie with my cocktails! so when I get back will get on the patches - again - have some already - must admit to buying them - my doctor knows me well and he tries to sit there quite seriously but knows that when I get to the pub........... he was at my wedding and gave me the evil eye when I was looking all glamorous - with fag in hand!!!  Good luck to you - trouble is that I only put all this weight on when I stopped smoking - so need to concentrate hard - my husband smokes which doesnt help - we can but try.I keep saying that I need a job that doesnt involve food - to easy to have that little bit - wont do any harm! Not much - apparently you only put on a lb a day - so I am lucky that I havent put on 90lbs! lol

Charlotte - your appt is on 13th April isnt it?

Right going now - got to get up at 4.30 am so just got to check other mail
take care while I am away - will have a cocktail for all of you on my daughters birthday (18) OMG - think I will have mixed emotions that day - my little girl has grown up! - might be an idea for us both to have a luggage tag attached so we get back to the right hotel. lol

take care
anj

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2006, 09:49:12 AM »
Hi all
the appt is tomorrow (saturday 1st april) so im a little nervous and excited.  got everything prepared, debating whats best to wear.  trousers and take them off, or my long dress thing (not fancy at all) and then i can just roll it up/down for him to see my knee? not sure.  think i might go with the dress, dont feel quite so exposed then.  i know theyre looking at he knee, but when they insist on lifting your leg in the air and twising it at all angles asking if it hurts (hell yes!) i feel a lot less exposed if im at lest a little covered. 
ill update you tomorrow with how it goes.

charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

support