Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR vs Osteotomy  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: TKR vs Osteotomy
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 06:22:11 AM »
Mat,

Feel free to ask anything you might think about and I would be more then happy to help!!! See I found KNEEGURU in 1998 when I was originally suppose to have the osteotomy and I met some great people who helped me and I vowed to always give back!!!!!!! These people I think are one of the reasons I made it through eveything so well over the years!! Supposrt is soooooo important and family no matter how much they try cannot give the same support as they have not been through it !!

I live in Long Beach, Long Island!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline nlb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 05:39:11 PM »
I faced the same thing 3 years ago.  My Os suggested doing an osteotomy because of my age.  I was 36 at the time.  TKR last about 15 years and then have to be redone.  I am eventually going to have to have Tk done but this bought me some time.  When I had my osteotomy done my surgeon was going to do the high tibial osteotomy but after much consideration and speaking with his resident doctors we decided to do a distal femur osteotomy which helped me considerably.  Please remember everyone is different but it is something to think about and maybe suggest to you Os.  I am now the same age as you are so I know what you are going through. Feel welcome to contact me.  I'll try and at least give some support. :)

Offline gusto

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 07:44:42 PM »
This is a long range perspective from a 59 year old male with a worn-out left knee who had a HTO in 1994 due to the same old reason (from my OS) of being too young for TKR. We discussed the options; live with the pain, TKR or HTO. After lengthy discussion with my OS, wife and PT's, I opted for the HTO. My OS thought that I could buy 5 to 7 years before I would need the TKR. This seemed like a reasonable option. Recovery was twice as long as expected,the 6 months back to full recovery turned into 13 months (after a second surjury and bone graft) due to a "non-union", but in the end I did very well. I've spent the last 12 years (up until the last 6 months) mountain biking and road riding 3 to 4 times per week. So the HTO proceedure bought me almost twice as much time as predicted. I am now scheduled for TKO in early April. All other options have been exausted. I left the hardware from the HTO in until Dec. 2005 which was  a mistake due to putting off the  TKR too long. At this point I am very unstable and expeirncing bone on bone pain, etc. Anyway. a whole new chapter is about to open up. Both my knees are shot and I have had 10 different proceedures over the years. Hopefully with TKR I can continue with cycling, although my OS cautions me not to do the off road after the replacement. In a nutshell this is my long-term on the HTO.
Gus

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 04:39:04 AM »
Well, I am a trusting person. i am also vunerable and I feel that if I take a chance on my one knee, I will see where this will land me. I was fortunate to find a parking lot around the corner from my apartment in order to avoid the stress of moving the car daily. i am getting my house stocked with good, healthy food and ordering good books and Netflix movies.

I am at a point that I need to take this to the next level. PT, accupuncture, pain meds; arthoscopic surgery, synovial fluid replacement and massage therapy have not helped. I also have been struggling to loose weight. I am 6'4 and weigh 290 lbs. All the OS and MD's are shocked I weigh this much. They think I would of weighed about 220. I hear this and then run for the icecream and cookies.

I pulled a muscle in my neck swimming and am in the process of being tested by a neurologist at NYU. I feel that Iam a premature geriatric case.  I hope to heal the neck and get back in that pool. I also enjoy the massage therapy and belief in a Higher Power. So much to ponder; from the mundane to the existential

I am here to listen and give support to anyone who needs it. I may not have the answers but i am a certaintly good listener. Heck, I do this for a living. Thanks everyone for feedback........
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"

support