Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Acupuncture  (Read 917 times)

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Acupuncture
« on: March 14, 2006, 02:26:39 PM »
Hi

Has anyone tried acupuncture? Especially interested to know about anyone who has tried it to help a knee injury.

Sarah  :D

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »
Acupuncture can be great for knocking back swelling, loosening tight muscles, healing tendinitis, among other things. But it cannot fix damage to the back of the kneecap (articular cartilage). It can help speed healing of irritated cartilage, but it's not going to repair it to the state that it was before the damage occurred.

Acupuncture has been an amazing discovery for me and it's worked wonderfully. I cannot say that I am 100% cured, but that's not because the acupuncture is not working -- it's because of various muscle/tendon and malalignment issues I have going on now. And it was a chronic condition before I resorted to acupuncture, which makes it more difficult to treat.

Anyway, it depends on what you have wrong with you and what you're looking to get out of the treatment. Acupuncture can really help speed the healing process, particularly if swelling is a problem that is holding you back from doing the proper exercises for your condition.

That's just my two cents. Some people feel it doesn't work for them. But you do have to give it time to work -- it's not a miracle cure by any means. I was warned by my acupuncturist that sometimes it just takes a few sessions to work out a problem, but complicated or chronic problems can take a long time to sort out (mostly because one problem leads to another and another, etc.).

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:00:01 PM »
Thanks for your reply Karen - it's really good to hear from someone who's tried it!

From what I understand I have damaged cartilage (although my OS says he may not be able to do anything about it although he is going to try an artroscopy) and according to my physiotherapist my fat pad and bursars are inflamed, the inside of my knee is tight, and I may have scar tissue.

I am going to ask for her advice when I next see her but in your opinion does acupuncture sound like something that could help what's wrong with my knee?

I also wonder if since my OS doesn't seem too positive about the arthroscopy if it is worth trying a course of acupuncture first, in case it helps and I don't need surgery at all.

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
Yes, in my opinion, all of those things could feasibly be helped (and even resolved) with acupuncture -- except the damaged cartilage, as I said before. So acupuncture could be a very good *additional* therapy to any PT that might be prescribed for you. My acupuncturist almost emphasized to me that PT was important (until she realized that the therapists were expecting too much of me...I am an odd case, and now I only do the exercises the acupuncturist tells me to do).

I did have bursitis, soft tissue soreness, and I had lots of scar tissue problems. They have all been helped greatly (and the bursitis is officially gone now). Again, it did take awhile for some of these things to respond, but they did. And each doctor I've seen has been happy to hear I was going to acupuncture and that it was helping me.

In my opinion, it's worth a try.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:34:29 PM by KarenS »

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 03:45:24 PM »
Brilliant!

So glad to hear it helped you!

Feel really hopeful now - going to find out where my local acupuncturists (?) are  :D

Sarah  :D

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »
I'm glad to help. :) I hope you have success with it and that you feel better soon!

Offline softballcoach

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 04:46:11 AM »
Good luck if you go to get accupunture, it really worked for me. It not only assisted in easing pain in my knee, but it helped other problems....... Once again, good luck. :D
acl reconstruction 1997
lateral meniscus repair  1997
scar tissue removal 1998
scar tissue removal 2006
lateral release 2006
achilles tendon repair and debridement 2007