Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain only to the touch!?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Heids

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain only to the touch!?
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »
Hi folks,
Maybe someone can help me out...... I feel like an impostor here, reading about all these very serious knee problems - make mine look like a breeze!
So...here's the deal.  Three or four weeks ago, while ice skating, I fell squarely on my kneedcap.  It got pretty bruised up and a little swollen, and was sore for a day or two.  Now I have no knee pain at all - I walk, I dance (ballet), I run, it's perfectly fine.  However, if I touch the front or my kneecap, or (God forbid) forget about the injury and accidentally kneel on it, the pain is searing!!!
Again, I feel silly writing this, since I'm really problem free, but the ocassional extreme pain is not going away at all..   So I just wonder, is it just a bad bruise? My husband says if I really injured it (like fractured the patella), I'd be in a lot more, constant, pain.  But he's not a doctor......
Any thoughts would be helpful.  In the meantime I'm just assuming it will eventually go away... I just don't want to be unknowingly doing further damage.

Offline gaz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Pain only to the touch!?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:28:31 PM »
if i was you i would get it checked out as soon as.  i injured my knee last july whilst on exercise with the military,  i reported to the military Dr and was told not to worry its only swollen and to carry on,  two months later i was working in Iraq and simply slipped off a kerb landing arkward on my right leg, i didnt fall or collapse,  i did feel extreme pain imediatlly, i tried to carry on with my job but by the next morning i was unable to move my knee.  i was like a rainbow with all sorts of different colours.  i was flown back to the UK and had a authoroscopy.  i had a fractured knee cap and torn my MCL (both seemed to be old injuries) but because of these previous injuries my simple slip in Iraq caused further damage (miniscus) its now march and i am still suffering (had an MRI last monday still awaiting results) so the moral of my story is if you think you have problems dont take no for an answer get it seen by an expert immediatley it may cause problems later,  i do hope for your sake though that its only brusing but please get it check out :-\   

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
Re: Pain only to the touch!?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »
I agree, get it checked out.

I fell on my knee and injured it a year ago. I was travelling at the time, so didn't get medical attention, and although it was sore I really thought it would heal on it's own and get better.

I could manage on a day to day basis, and still can really, but I am still in a lot of pain, problem not fixed, and over time has been gradually getting worse. And I think the sooner you get treatment after an injury, the more quick and effective the healing process will be.

Hopefully your injury is only a bruise and will get better soon, but it's definitely worth getting checked. Don't feel silly or like it's not important enough to see the doctor. And in the meantime put ice on it at least 3 times a day for 20 mins - that should help.

Good luck!
Sarah

support