Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kneegeeks, please help, weird pain in knee  (Read 677 times)

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Kneegeeks, please help, weird pain in knee
« on: March 12, 2006, 09:04:35 PM »
Okay, most of you probably know my story by now and I am going in for arthroscopic in a few days to "remove ACL tendon debris". My OS wants to clean it out prior to my ACLR which will be (so he says) 2 weeks after that. Okay, I'm having a hard time believing it will be so soon but whatever.

Here are my thoughts and questions. I do have a posterior horn tear but my OS didn't make a big deal of this at all. My problem to date (2 months post injury) is this.

I have incredible knife like sharp pain on the medial side of my knee like in the indentation part to the left of the kneecap. This spot always swells if I walk too much on my leg. What the heck is this pain? It's like a pinching knife like horribly painful almost very fresh feeling pain. Whenever I feel it, it brings back memories of the day I went down. I mean the pain is identical.

I have serious stiffness, cannot fully extend my knee or bend it. If I try to fully extend it, this pain in the side of my knee kills (why) If I try to bend it, I get a serious pressure like rubberbands too tight around my kneecap. It's awful.
My OS says this is due to the acl debris, but I don't know.... what do you guys/gals think.

My OS has had me in my Donjoy Playmaker brace since injury. So I've been wearing it every day (take it off for therapy and sleep) for 2 months. This was originally ordered because I had an MCL tear which I feel is probably healed by now. Should I still be wearing this brace?

After this arthro to clean out, do you think my chances are pretty good at getting full rom? I plan to work really hard in therapy, and am already doing so 2x per day, I also RICE several times daily.

Has anybody experienced anything similar and what are my chances that after the arthro I'll be okay?

Thanks a lot.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 09:06:07 PM by celinenj03 »
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: Kneegeeks, please help, weird pain in knee
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:36:10 AM »
this sounds like a meniscus tear, a loose piece floating around, isn't this what you're having taken care of soon?

this site might help if you haven't sen it.

http://steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/overview.asp

in the right hands meniscus/ACLR have high success rates, in the 80-90% range. should resolve pain and stability issues.

Post-op activites will best be determined by you, OS and PT.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Kneegeeks, please help, weird pain in knee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:08 AM »
Thanks Jb,

Yes, I am going in to have it taken care of, but my OS said the reason for this upcoming arthroscopic surgery was that he was going to remove acl debris/stump. He didn't mention anything about meniscal repair. I am going to ask him before my surgery of course because like I said it seems to be more than the acl debris that is causing my problems.

I'm glad to hear that the success rate is that high. I am just getting a little ancy as I haven't been able to bend or straighten my knee in 8 weeks. It's a little frustrating.

I haven't read any stories on this site yet, where someone has had a similar problem so I was very curious.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)