Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 months later and had a relapse  (Read 689 times)

Offline ladybugplus150

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 months later and had a relapse
« on: March 12, 2006, 08:06:22 PM »
Hi
I had 30% of left knee menicus removed Oct 29, 2005 because of a posterier tear on horn.  Everything was healing nicely as I went to PT for 2 weeks and did home exercise they gave to me.  Then I got pnumonia anf got out of groove of going to PT. My knee was getting better anyways and I was walking great but did still have some pain going up and down stairs. I could not put all my weight down on knee on stair climbing.  Its now March and its like my knee had a relapse and  is now hurting almost as bad as before surgery and its driving me crazy. I realize that not going to PT like I should have been doing is probly why I had a relapse. I am so afraid to go back to OS Dr because I hear he is a stickler about going to PT but fearing him give me H#LL for not being a good patient is not smart.  Should I go to another Dr and get post op help or suck it up and face the music with the stickler Dr.  I realize also that that is up to me but I guess I just need to hear someone who wasn't doing PT like they should have tell me what happened from not going.
I did go to gym and did bicycle, leg press, leg lifts and was really helpful that day so mayby I am just to the point where I should be getting on with gym routine.   In your opinion is it too late to start over with PT.  Another point is when I went to PT all they were doing there is having me do the same exercise thatr were on the home handout paper so I figured why not just do them at home. Others I talk to get more treatments like ultrsound treatment.  I might have kept going if they would have done this.
I am worried that it may be too late. Please I need all the advice, opinions, criticisms I can get.  TIA
Laura
PS  What did I risk happening by not going. Do I have hope still?  I really am afraid I did permanent damage by not going to PT

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: 4 months later and had a relapse
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:19:30 AM »
I woud really go in with gym routine if I were you..but listen to your body and don't overdo..if you get a setback be more gentle in the gym and rebuilt again.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »
I really doubt that it is too late. As someone who has had pneumonia twice, I am so sorry that you had to go thru that. I would not be afraid to see my OS. Simply TELL him about your illness and what happened. IT would not hurt to tell him about your pt not being very effective. I agree with Nettan, go back to your pt exercises and do it slowly and gently. Listen to your body.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline LatPKRGirl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 02:13:14 PM »
Dear adybugplus150,

Please do not forget that we are all human.  You did not "plan" to become sick; it just happened.  Now that you are feeling better, it is time to get back on track.  Although you say your OS is a "stickler," I would suggest that that attitude is reserved for those who are just plain noncompliant.  YOU do not fall into that category. Go see your OS and have him help you ease your concerns and get back to rehab.  This is your knee and you need the best care you can get. 

As for the PT, if you are comfortable with the exercises and have some sense of how to progress your rehab, then I don't think it is necessary for you to return (and I am a PT).  If your problems are only a lack of ROM or strength, you are probably very capable of progressing on your own, as long as you SEE progress in a timely manner.  If you are not sure of the exercises or how to progress them, then perhaps a visit with your PT would help.  Do you know your limitations as prescribed by your OS?  (ROM limitations, the amount of weight you should be bearing or lifting, pain control)  A visit with your OS can help to clear this information for you and get you moving along.  Clearly, your PT did not feel that your needed any additional treatements other than strengthening, so why do you think you need them now?   If it is because of pain, then see you OS to get your pain under control or to evaluate why you are having it. 

Above all, it is not too late.  You are only about 4 months post-op.  But, now that you are well, get back in the game.  Like Nettan and Missy said - Listen to your body.  It took a number of years to get to your pre-op point, it will take time to get back.  Take it slow and stay in touch with your OS.  He is there to help you.  PTs are generally very helpful people - give yours a call.  He/she is probably wondering what happened to you.  Or start over with someone new if you are uncomfortable.  Remember, this is your knee.  Take charge of its care and get moving.  It is not too late and you can do this.

LatPKRGirl
LatPKRGirl

support