Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cost of Surgery  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Janss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cost of Surgery
« on: March 12, 2006, 05:21:40 AM »
I was floored when the hospital quoted me $8,000 for out patient surgery for one knee.  Then the surgen quoted me $2000 to $4000 which he'll decide while I'm out cold.  Is this for real?  Maybe I could save the $8,000 by having it done in the parking lot.......

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: Cost of Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 05:51:08 AM »
it's really ridiculous of what surgery costs isnt it??!!  :o  i dont know what my family would have done without the great insurance we have.  i know that my first surgery which was only a scope was around $10,000.  the two TTTs i had later in the year ran close to $18,000 each.  then my last scope was about another $10,000.  oy what a bill!! :o  i'd suggest calling your OS office again to get the correct idea about the costs.  the surgeon may have quoted you on what he/she charges for their services, not including the pre and post op care youre given.  i'm sure thats where the extra costs are coming from

good luck
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
Re: Cost of Surgery
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 02:36:58 PM »

I have to say it is scarey. I had one bone staple come out of my femoral osteotomy site. It traveld to the back of my knee and landed in my sciatic nerve. My hospital bill was 13,000. I spent 1 night.The surgeon and post op x-rays came to 4000. I had lost my health insurance. The hospital worked with me and took my case as charity. My os office lets me pay 10.00 a month. Sometimes when you do not have health insurance the Dr. and hospital can work out discounted rates. I would ask.  Good luck
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery