Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: did anyone else watch sweeney investigates?  (Read 778 times)

Offline belle9

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
did anyone else watch sweeney investigates?
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:37:52 PM »
hi
i just wondered if anyone else saw this programme on bbc2 last night about the attempts to reduce NHS waiting lists to 6 months instead of 2 years for ortho surgery. I was shocked to see  how people had had their limbs and indeed lives ruined by incompetent surgeons, who were suppose to be helping them to get better quicker.  If i got offered the options of waiting with my current surgeon or chosing to be seen as an NHS patient at a private hospital much quiker i know which i would chose!  These people clearly had no idea what they were doing and as far as i could see were actually making waiting lists longer due to the fact that the NHS surgeons were having to fix their bodge jobs.
belle
*Mal-alignment issues due to torsion or both femur and tibias
*Derotation osteotomy of right distal femur and distal tibia 12/04/11

Hop skip n jump

Re: did anyone else watch sweeney investigates?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »
Hi Belle

That all sounds a bit scarey! What part of the country if any were they focusing on?

Hop
(Southampton)
 ;D

Offline belle9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »
well, i recall seeing one was at the nuffield in ipswitch, i'm not sure where else.
They were employing people through agencies all over europe, even though they knew very little about them or there qualifications.  It was no solution.
*Mal-alignment issues due to torsion or both femur and tibias
*Derotation osteotomy of right distal femur and distal tibia 12/04/11

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:07:43 PM »
I watched it and thought it was a poorly exercised peice of sensationonalism worthy of the some of the poorer tabloids!
Where was the realistic comparison of figures, standard NHS against fast track figures? Who were the other contract holders?
Where were the people it had worked for who were happy? Yes some of the stories were horrendous but I'm sure there are people out there with equally terrible tales to tell from UK NHS surgeons and they weren't included! My consultant practices at the Nuffield Cambridge (along with his NHS work) as does David Dandy, both are excellent surgeons and if I had the cash I would be in there now having my ACLR done! I am not trying to say that the Nuffield group were blameless in this but the program was seriously biased.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
Hmmm, interesting

I am at the Nuffield, Leicester - but on NHS.

I'm not at all impressed with my OS, but then he also works for the NHS as well as the Nuffield.

support