Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PT for post op meniscectomy  (Read 3262 times)

Offline ladybugplus150

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PT for post op meniscectomy
« on: March 10, 2006, 06:18:16 AM »
Hi all knee sufferers past and present,
I had a handout paper that had allot of post surgery knee exercisers from physical therapy but I lost it.  It had allot of streches, some with a chair for leg lifts, one had a cooffee can under knee.  I have tried to find a site that has similar  with illustrations to print out but have had no luck finding any. Please help me. If someone has a site that has similar exercise please post it here for me. I am having a relapse. I had a torn menicule in my left knee.  I would appreciate any help. I cannot go back to rehab no insurance.  TYVM  Laura
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:19:49 AM by ladybugplus150 »

Offline ladybugplus150

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: PT for post op meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 08:48:28 PM »
Since I did not get any replies back here I did some more searching and found these great exercises to do from another post on another board here. Just thot I'd share it here.  http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/booklet/view_exercise.cfm?Thread_ID=15&topcategory=Knee

Offline queenie90247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 10:52:26 AM »
hello  glad i came on ur post  i tore my meniscus later and medial and also my acl 3 months ago and  start pt  in 2 weeks not sure why they waiting so long my knee is still very swollen and hurts  almost can bend it but not so great its hard cause im a housekeepr so i cant even work cause id be on feel all day been lookin for exercises that had actual pictures   and i coaud not find any so this site   looks perfect im gnna give it a try        ill keep u posted if u  need to talk it would be great havin someone to chat with that had same probs as i my email is [email protected] or ifd u have yahoo messenger        id is mommas_got_the_magic04

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:21:05 PM »
My Physio consisted of Squats on a Swedish ball and Lunges. Once the leg got stronger and the swelling went down, I began alot of cycling and swimming to help keep it moving and to build up the muscle mass again. I was also told to keep stretching the Hamstrings to maintain flexibility.

It all worked great for me. The knee feels great and the leg is physically stronger then ever before.

Good luck. If you need me to go into specifics, I'd be glad to answer any questions..
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 07:44:28 PM »
Hmm... I dont' know if I could do a lunge, I feel like my femur would just roll right off the tibia... how did you do lunges without acl?
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 11:55:40 AM »
Hmm... I dont' know if I could do a lunge, I feel like my femur would just roll right off the tibia... how did you do lunges without acl?

I didn't.  ;)

The lunges didn't feel right at all. Nor did the squatting for that matter, but I still managed to do a few of them. Basically, as soon as I was able to, I was in the gym on the Leg Press on and on the Rower, re-building the wasted Quad.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
SPK,

So you are post Menisectomy and pre ACL recon like me? Did you set a date yet? I find that after 4 weeks, I still get painful tweaks if I do anything even remotely silly. Yesterday I just stood still and shot a basketball and my knee twisted and I got a sharp pain in the spot where the meniscus was trimmed. I know I still have no ACL so I shouldn't be too worried. I am walking fine, almost normally and have full ROM. How are you doing these days?

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:22:51 AM »
SPK,

So you are post Menisectomy and pre ACL recon like me? Did you set a date yet? I find that after 4 weeks, I still get painful tweaks if I do anything even remotely silly. Yesterday I just stood still and shot a basketball and my knee twisted and I got a sharp pain in the spot where the meniscus was trimmed. I know I still have no ACL so I shouldn't be too worried. I am walking fine, almost normally and have full ROM. How are you doing these days?

Celine,

Yep. Afraid so.

No Reco date set as yet, presumably sometime October/November I'd say though. I'm on the stupid waiting list because my insurance doesn't cover pre-existing injuries for 12 months.

After 4 weeks mine was still sensitive and I would get the odd sharp shooting pains, even if I wasn't doing anything silly (I did plenty of silly things though!). Even today, more then 6 months post op I still get a bit of pain sometimes going up or down a flight of stairs. Not much I can do about that though, but it's pretty minor so it never bothers me too much.

These day I'm great (apart from the obvious that is). Full-extension, ROM etc. First few Months I was smashing it in the gym and the pool just trying to build the muscle, which took an eternity. Now, it's bigger and stronger then it's ever been. The months of blood, sweat & tears have most definantly been worth it.

If I can offer you any advice? Cross-trainer machine at the gym. It has been like a best friend. Light and easy on the knee joint, but tough on the muscles and great cardio. Excellent for helping the muscles.

Oh, and you're probably doing this anyway, but I was still icing 2-3 times a week 2 months post-op. I'm not sure if it was like a placebo or anything, but it seemed to help me out.

Best of luck!

Please don't hesitate to ask me about anything either, I'm more then happy to answer your questions.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 12:37:44 PM »
Thanks SPK! I really appreciate the info. Yes, I still ice every day and you know how you learn by trial and error when you have a knee injury, I have found that if I finish my day with 20 minutes of icing, my knee feels so much better when I wake up in the morning. Is the cross trainer like an elliptical or something different? I am very interested to find out more. I really like going to PT and doing my exercises but I feel like they are really going easy on me and I know that they have to follow my doc's protocol, but I feel like I could be doing a little more to build muscle. I did go out and buy a stationary bike and I ride that with some resistance quite a bit each day. So, I'm very interested to "expand" my horizons and add another piece of equipment to my routine. ;D

That's a shame you have to wait for the fall to get your surgery but it's good that you are functioning good now and that you also have this time to get stronger. You probably already know this but your acl recon. is going to be much easier because you will be so much past injury and have great strength and flexibility. You should get A+ results and recover quicker as you won't have all the other issues going on at the same time.

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 01:15:01 PM »
Thanks SPK! I really appreciate the info. Yes, I still ice every day and you know how you learn by trial and error when you have a knee injury, I have found that if I finish my day with 20 minutes of icing, my knee feels so much better when I wake up in the morning. Is the cross trainer like an elliptical or something different? I am very interested to find out more. I really like going to PT and doing my exercises but I feel like they are really going easy on me and I know that they have to follow my doc's protocol, but I feel like I could be doing a little more to build muscle. I did go out and buy a stationary bike and I ride that with some resistance quite a bit each day. So, I'm very interested to "expand" my horizons and add another piece of equipment to my routine. ;D

That's a shame you have to wait for the fall to get your surgery but it's good that you are functioning good now and that you also have this time to get stronger. You probably already know this but your acl recon. is going to be much easier because you will be so much past injury and have great strength and flexibility. You should get A+ results and recover quicker as you won't have all the other issues going on at the same time.

Yeah, the Cross-trainer is the Elliptical. As I say, it's been really helpful for me. A typical gym session these days for me consists of

40 min (4.5km) on the X-trainer
2km Row
15km on the stationary
Leg Press - 220kg  3 x 12 rep
Leg Extension - 110 3 x 10 rep

It's a bit repetitive, but it's great cardio and you can definantly see an increase in the muscle mass. I've dropped about 7kg (some of which I accumulated during my injury, and some just from being lazy!) and I'm fitter then I've been for ages. I guess that's the one silver lining in this cloud of injury.

It definantly sucks having to wait. I spent the second half of last year doing all these weights and flogging myself so that hopefully I'd be more then ready to play again this season before the reco. All in vain unfortunately, the knee just didn't feel right and it wasn't worth the risk. Very disappointing but not much I can do about it. As you say though, at least when the op rolls around I'll be ready to get stuck straight into the rehab for it, which is a bit of a consolation, albeit a crappy one.

Have you considered a mini-trampoline? I used one of those at Physio. I'd bounce on my bad knee and throw a basketball against a wall and try to catch it again while still bouncing.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 01:49:18 PM »
That is a great program! Wow, you really have built up your strength! Good for you! Yeah, I'm sorry you couldn't get back to sport prior to ACL recon, but your hard work is defintely NOT in vain. You really will have an edge when you get the surgery.

My first PT told me she didn't want me to do any extensions. I dont go there anymore though. My new PT tests my strength by pushing my shin down and having me push my leg up. I think my strength is pretty good. I don't get any pain whatsoever. But they don't give me any extensions in my program. I'm wondering if I could just sit on a chair and use a very light weight around my ankle and gently extend a little. If I had to get any muscle up to speed though, it would be the VMO. It is coming back finally but still pathetic compared to the other side. I use the band and isometric tensing for now, it seems to be helping. Also, I sprained my MCL which has healed and I think it's a little loose. I don't know how to correct this and I'm praying my OS doesn't recommend a surgical procedure because I've about had enough with these 2 on my plate.

As far as the menisectomy is concerned, I am really glad I had it done. I really had no choice though as it was wedged in my joint, but it is so nice to be able to walk pretty much painfree these days. I am 4 weeks post-op and I fulfilled my first goal. I actually went to the mall yesterday and shopped for a couple of hours. I even walked almost normally because I didn't see anyone staring at me.

I have to say, since injuring my knee, I am pretty shocked at the stares I would get from people because I limped. You know, they stare and then when you make eye contact with them they look away. I never thought that would bother me but after awhile it did. I don't like to be noticed in a good way or bad way. I'm a very shy person.

I was going to have a t-shirt made for myself that said, "knee temporarily out of order", or something like that.

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 08:51:42 AM »
No extension?

Hmm..

My Physio didn't really say yay or nay for that - I'm doing it anyway so it doesnt make much of a difference now, but there are people on here who's OS and Physio swear that Leg extensions are the devil and should be avoided at all costs. Something to do with the pressure it places on the whole joint. If this is the case then I must be an exception because for me they've been great. Don't know if I'll be quite so confident after the reco though!

What type of Physio are you seeing? Mine is a Sports Physio who works with alot of elite athletes and high-performance sort of stuff so the rehab tends to be agressive and to prepare you for a return to sport or previous activity, rather then just getting the knee pain-free and being able to walk without a limp etc.

That nasty little VMO is a massive pain in the clacker isn't it? I became so fed up with working on that one little muscle I just decided to ignore it and work on ALL quad muscles as a whole and it's worked out just fine. Probably could be a little bigger, but I'm happy the way it is now.

My limp wasn't too bad at all, but now that I think about it I did have some trouble when I was drinking at bars. Apparently if you're limping around in a bar you must be drunk. I had to show one bouncer my knee, dressings and all, to prove to him that I had a legitimate injury.

For the record I probably was a little under the weather anyway!

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 08:42:27 PM »
Well, I've been doing my version of extensions haha. Very little weight but getting a workout from them so that's okay. My physio doesn't have to know. Yes the VMO is a stubborn little S.O.B. Personally can't stand the thing. haha

I also see a sports medicine OS, you know the type, works on the pros, etc. Did you ever hear of Terrell Owens.... Okay, nough said then. :) Yeah, I wish we could all make a comeback llike that.

But my OS is also known for being cautious and conservative with treatment prior to ACLR. Perhaps because I suffered the terrible T.

See you should get a t-shirt like the one mentioned above the next time you go out drinking so you don't have to explain!

Thank God I've been married 14 years and proved to my husband I'm not worthless... some days I feel that way when I'm tired and limping along. I love the mornings cause I wake up and feel so strong, but oh how quickly I run out of stamina. I keep telling my friends when I'm out of this I'm thinking of becoming a female bodybuilder. That's how much respect I have for muscles now. My legs are getting skinny and for once in my life I'm depressed over it. This is so screwed up.

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 12:52:49 PM »
Well, I've been doing my version of extensions haha. Very little weight but getting a workout from them so that's okay. My physio doesn't have to know. Yes the VMO is a stubborn little S.O.B. Personally can't stand the thing. haha

I also see a sports medicine OS, you know the type, works on the pros, etc. Did you ever hear of Terrell Owens.... Okay, nough said then. :) Yeah, I wish we could all make a comeback llike that.

But my OS is also known for being cautious and conservative with treatment prior to ACLR. Perhaps because I suffered the terrible T.

See you should get a t-shirt like the one mentioned above the next time you go out drinking so you don't have to explain!

Thank God I've been married 14 years and proved to my husband I'm not worthless... some days I feel that way when I'm tired and limping along. I love the mornings cause I wake up and feel so strong, but oh how quickly I run out of stamina. I keep telling my friends when I'm out of this I'm thinking of becoming a female bodybuilder. That's how much respect I have for muscles now. My legs are getting skinny and for once in my life I'm depressed over it. This is so screwed up.

It's screwed up I know, but the one absolute shining star I have gotten from this injury is a huge increase in fitness levels and muscle mass. Hasn't been easy, not by a long stretch. Dragging myself out of bed early in the morning to hit the gym or do laps on a cold winter morning is no-ones idea of fun, least of all mine.

I have so much respect for my muscles now, I'm going to have a career on treating musculo-skeletal problems and injuries like the ones we've all had.