Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anothers Opinon  (Read 649 times)

Offline J_Jackie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anothers Opinon
« on: March 09, 2006, 11:57:10 PM »
Hello All--Hoping to get some others insight:
I've just returned to full training since my surgery for patella tendonitis and plica removal when track mandatory practice began Monday. Surgeon had told me on my last appointment that he wants me to continue to do my home exercise program and at least 20 minutes of biking even when track practices started. I am not a runner; high jump is my only event, so he said I shouldn't be concerned about endurance--more just strength in my leg/legs for jumping since that is my main and only objective in track. I shared this information with my coach upon talking with the surgeon and coach agreed to have me do my biking at the school's weightroom instead of going on longer runs with the team. With almost a week of practice in, I haven't been able to do my biking at all during practice. We've been doing shorter runs and sprint work mainly. I then go home from practice and do my biking later in the evening once I've somewhat recooperated from practice. At that point, I'm completely burntout. My question to you is this: Should I be putting in a full practice and coming home to yet do another "mini workout" on the bike? I'm not a top class athlete (one of the slowest on the team infact) and only focus on high jump...how important is running to my goal? I've been in pretty high muscle tightness and pain from practice so far and find it frustrating to come home and yet have to bike. How do I bring this to the attention of my coach without seeming like I "just want to get out of practice"? Haven't started jumping yet at practice, but plan to next week probably. Hopefully all goes well with the knee through that and all is well in the end. I'm just frustrated at this point and overwhelmed with everything. I don't think my body can handle this throughout the remainder of the season at this rate. As always, any comments greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Jackie

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Anothers Opinon
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:31:59 PM »
Jackie, get papers from your doc and give to your coach,or even better let the doc phone your coach if that's possible.
I think this must be working or your coach is very silly.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anothers Opinon
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 02:12:02 AM »
Hi, Jacky..when I was in school I was dancing ballet..later turned proffessional...running is not the best thing for flexibililty and it alos really aggrevated my already bad knee, so I got excused..I now work fulltime for a ballet school and we regularly get our girls and boys dropped from running......it seams unreasonable to come back from a knee injury to go running, especially since your doc wanted you on the bike...so I would talk to the doc and get a medical excuse, then talk to the coach to get special exersizes that will help your jumping....like stretching..etc....good luck

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

support