Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post meniscus surgery problem  (Read 1009 times)

Offline tstueve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post meniscus surgery problem
« on: March 09, 2006, 09:33:30 PM »
I had knee surgery 1 1/2 months ago and everything was feeling great. Had to go back to the Dr. for a checkup and when I was leaving the house I had to go down stairs and while going down the stairs my knee extended all the way. It was pain all of the sudden in the back of the knee, where it was before. Went to the Dr and the said everything was alright, but now out of the blue the pain will come back like before. Is it possible to retear my meniscus going down the stairs like that.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Post meniscus surgery problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:33:52 PM »
Maybe you strained something. Where did you have the tear and was it big ? Did you have repair or meniscectomy ?

NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tstueve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »
I am not completly sure but i thought it was on the inside.They went in a did the suction thing with the grinder.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 02:55:47 PM by tstueve »

Offline Cindysphynx

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
I had a similar experience about 7 weeks after the same surgery.  I was playing tennis, and I felt my knee hyperextend.   I later developed chondromalacia patella, and my OS thinks maybe that event kind of tweaked things and caused inflammation behind the kneecap.  I'm doing OK, but chondromalacia patella doesn't go away, so the knee isn't 100%

My advice would be to make sure you're keeping up with a program of physical therapy to make sure your kneecap is tracking correctly and to strengthen your muscles.  The strengthening of the VMO and stretching the ITband has made things improve a lot.

Good luck!

Cindy
partial meniscectomy and plica ressection -- Sept. 05
chondromalacia patella -- Jan. 05

Offline tstueve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »
Cindy
It sounds like the same problem. I have swelling behind the knee and am all stiff again in the calf and hamstring. I try to do my exercises everynight. I know that I need to build the muscles back up in my leg to take the strees off of my knee. It is amazing how fast you can lose muscle when something like this happens.

harry78

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:10:41 PM »
Hi ther

I also sympathise with you for the pain you're in. The soreness in the hamstrings and calf - do you think it would help if these were stronger? I say this because as the knee extends and flexes the medial meniscus is a secondary restraint for anterior/posterior displacement of the femur on the tibia. It also happened to me after my partial meniscetomy in the first few months, that when fully extended the knee could easily hyperextend and cause me problems with the ACL reconstruction. Then I went on to building my quads and also the hamstrings for the real purpose to check the restraint posteriorly. It helped me tremendously in the long run and I'm finding that I now have quite alot of support there where I need it right at the back of the knee.
It will however require hard work to gain this support, keep doing stretches and closed chain exercises and you'll be fine.

Harry.