Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Looking for advice!  (Read 2048 times)

Offline jms1001

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Looking for advice!
« on: April 01, 2003, 12:15:05 AM »
I have, for the last couple of months, been suffering with knee pain (left leg).  It started off as an annoyance, but it's grown to the point where walking just physically does me in.  I CAN walk, but by the end of the day i'm so worn out by the pain i'm threw.  Even being so tired, i have to take something to get me to sleep through the pain.

The medical folks have been approching it as an authridic condition (celebrex, viox, ect...), but that just hasn't been holding any water.

This knee has a so-so history living attached to the rest of me.  When i was younger (I'm about 20 now), it was twisted outward, but that was corrected then.  It also has been on the recieving end of a number of blows (desks, chairs, ect...) as well as it being the site of a number of impacts from falls i've taken over the years.

The pain itself is a sharp jagged one, under the knee cap, on the upper right side mostly, however, i'll ocassionally feel as if the upper leg bone and lower leg bone are grinding against each other.  The lower leg will throb when i lay down, most times, and I'll occassionally get a tingly feeling in my foot.  

I'm on the course to see an othopedist to do "imaging or exploritory athoscopy", that's what the resident doctor at the hospital said.  

I have no idea what this problem could be, and i'm really desparate for some type of help with it, no matter what (braces, cruches, ect...  I can't really do heavy pain meds, they just wear me down to such a point that getting through the day is not even an option, i end up spending it on the couch).  Each day gets harder to get through, and i'm not sure what to do even to help myself a limited amount.

Anyone with anything out there????

Thanks!  

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Looking for advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 12:38:01 AM »
Don't really have any answers for you, but it sounds like you definitely need to see an orthopedic surgeon. Do you have an appointment?

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline jms1001

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 12:58:17 AM »
Yeah, i have one next week sometime.

Looking for something to get me to that point!

SL99

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 01:11:36 AM »
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your knee problems and really hope that the OS appt helps you to make progress with getting it sorted out.

In the meantime you could try a light fabric brace to offer a little protection and support to the joint, it can make quite a difference to some people and might be an option worth trying. As for pain releif without the meds, the only think I could suggest is perhaps a TENS machine as it doesn't affect anything but the area you use it on.

Hope this helps and that things improve for you soon.

Cheers.......Jo
xx

Offline jms1001

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 02:51:10 AM »
Hadn't heard of a TENS mechine before?

What is the general gist about it?

Thanks

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 08:53:20 AM »
Try icing the knee. It works wonders. If you don't have one of those refreezable gel packs, use a plastic bag of frozen peas. You can reuse and refreeze the same bag--just don't eat it, of course.

I know that icing seems pretty low tech, but it really does help. Those of us in physical therapy really depend on it after the workout brings on swelling and pain.

To get you to next week, you might also try wrapping your knee with a couple of Ace bandages. Just be sure you don't wrap so tightly that your foot or toes turn blue! If your pain gets dramatically worse, go to the emergency room of the hospital.  You may end up at the hospital for some of the tests the doctor will order, anyway.
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

SL99

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 02:39:53 PM »
Hi,

A TENS machine works by gently stimulating the nerves and muscles around the sore area, with little electrical pulses. This distracts the brain from the receiving painful stimulus messages and in theory reduces the discomfort you feel in the knee. They can be very useful for knee pain but as with most things different people/injuries get different results. Your PT centre or a pain management clinic should be able to give you a trial or laon of one so that you can find out if it's suitable for you before actually shelling out to buy one.

The extemes of cold and heat can be useful for knee pain too. If the pain is accompanied with warmth and swelling in the joint, then icing is a good option to reduce the inflammation. If there's no heat of swelling however a soak in a hot bath, perhaps with a muscle soak added can help as can the microwaveable heat pads you can get now too. I have one that I use on a night and it really helps to ease some of the pain I feel at least.

Hope this helps and that your knee soon gets better.

Cheers......Jo
xx

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2003, 02:59:46 AM »
In your case, I don't think a TENS unit would be very effective.  In an athletic setting, we hardly ever use TENS units.  I have used them for trigger points in muscles and similar situations.  I personally have one, my OS perscribed it to deal with pain from my IT band.  I have a screw directly under my IT band about 3 inchs from it's insertion.  TENS units are generally more effective for more superficial conditions in which the pain can be pin pointed to a specific location.  Your pain seems too difuse.  TENS units work on the basis of the Gate Control theory.  Synaptic tranmission is inhibited in large and small fiber afferent pathways.  The pain message is then not transmitted to the 2nd order neurons and never reach the sensory centers.  The balance between the large and small diameter afferent fibers determines the amount of pain message that is blocked.  TENS is not used to elict a muscle contraction.   (sorry for the therapeutic modalities lecture  :))  

For now, It seems like crutches are one of your better options.  Since their dosn't seem to be any instability a brace wouldn't really do you any good.  Maybe a knee immobilizer just so you are not moving it.  It sounds like you really haven't had any luck with the COX2 inhibitors.  Those are really ment to be more of an anti-inflammatory med than anything.  Maybe try something that is more for pain.  This summer I was ultram to get me through a soccer camp.  It is a non-narcotic analgesic.  It made me tired the first time I took it, but after that it was fine.  Toradol might help, but since you haven't had surgery recently you haven't had the IV form of the drug.  There has been shown to be some very serious reactions when the drug is started orally, without an IV form of the drug preceding it.  Recently I have been put on relafen for severe IT band pain.  It is very mild and really helps with pain.  

If the pain is really bad, spend a couple days on the couch with stonger pain meds.  Darvocet tends to work pretty well for severe pain.  There is always Tylenol 3 and vicoden.  

Practice the RICE principal and hopefully the days will fly by until your OS appointment.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline jms1001

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2003, 03:59:53 AM »
UPDATES:::::

Today was nasty.  Walking a nightmare, shooting pains, ect..   I'm just waiting for it to finally give out and send me flying down steps or something.

Working on trying to keep it iced currently. :-/

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2003, 08:29:19 PM »
jim
sorry to hear your problems. hope you find a solution. try everythig forementioned in replys as well as maybe looking at your shoes as well if you are walking alot, have history of bangs, any thing to ease the aches and lessen the daily impact from walking,new shoes or orthodics may ease some of the daily grind. keep an open mind to all info provided, and communicate with an os when you see one. some os take different approaches and use things adjunctively. take it easy until you can get it looked at.
neil
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 07:16:10 PM »
The not knowing is the hardest part, when you get some answers its a bit easier to deal with. The tingling you mentioned sounds like some circulation problem. Whne the blood supply to any part of the body is cut off or limited you usually get the tingles. Maybe a nerve or something is being pinched in there. Who knows.
Let us know what the OS says. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline jms1001

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 11:22:05 PM »
UPDATE!

Went to the OS today...looked at me, took a x-ray, and said that apparently, I don't remember the actual medical name, my knee cap is being pulled on one side into my other bones.  There is a nice normal gap on one side of my knee, and almost none on the other.

Hadn't heard of this before, but it's all new to me.  

MRI thursday to double check stuff :-/

Thats my update so far.