Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Jiu jitsu after ACLR  (Read 908 times)

Offline ibis003

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Jiu jitsu after ACLR
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:31:14 PM »
Since a large majority of the people on this board are athletic, has anybody train in (before knee injury) then return to jiu jitsu after ACLR surgery?  If so...had did you knee(s) feel when rolling (training)?    How did omaplata's,  triangles or knee on belly feel?
Dislocated Knee/ Blown ACL/ruptured MCL 2-18-06 (Donahue  Triad)
Started pre-op PT 3-14-06
ACLR & MCL repair on 4-26-06

Offline killjoy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Jiu jitsu after ACLR
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 07:28:24 PM »
I can only speak from my personal experience, but I was fine to continue grappling after ACL reconstruction with a patellar tendon graft.  If anything, if you rehab properly, your joint may even be stronger than before - you just have to work on the strenghtening and flexibiity of the surrounding muscles, etc.

However, what has been a real problem for me is the erosion of the cartilage in that knee, which has caused me to stop training altogether until I get it fixed.  I now have a very significant chondral defect that will need repair surgery before I can think about grappling again, because essentially the top of my shinbone and bottom of my femur are rubbing against each other bone on bone.

Good luck getting back to training.

Offline ibis003

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »
Thanks for the info, I was beginning to think that I would never get an answer to that question?  I have found comments on just about every other sport I do, just could find anything on BJJ. 

Offline killjoy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:17:37 PM »
If you have a patellar tendon graft using your own tendon rather than that of a donor, you will probably lose some feeling in the scar tissue in your knee, which will feel weird at first when you're kneeling.  You also need to be careful, because they will probably use screws to lock the ACL graft, and it's possible for the screw to, at some point, come through the surface of the front of the shin - I have that a tiny bit, though it hasn't been a problem.

Otherwise, again, your joint itself should be very strong after surgery, and as long as you work hard on the rehabbing and such, I wouldn't think you'd have problems with triangles, omoplatas, bridging or doing sweeps off that knee, etc.

Offline ibis003

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
Thanks again Killjoy for the information.  I will be logging my rehab on this site like others do.

support