Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cycling  (Read 4933 times)

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
cycling
« on: March 09, 2006, 12:03:31 AM »
I also posted this in the patello femoral site but I would really like to know about cycling

After I was advised to give up running, I was told to take up cycling instead. However, I also have a problem with my kneecaps mistracking so i was wondering if it would be ok to tape them before going for a long cycle - long in this case being only an hour, I am a beginner. I am tempted to throw myself into this sport like i did with running but am worried i will mess my knees up more? I am going a bit crazy here not being able to train like I used to and I seem to be running out of sports!

How many times a week would you recommend traing?
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline LatPKRGirl

• Regular Poster
Re: cycling
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 02:40:54 PM »
Dear NikkiE,

While I think cycling might be an option for you, I am concerned about your tracking.  Some questions I might ask myself - when my maltracking occurs, does my pain increase for more than a moment?  Does the taping really provide the amount of support I need?  and for the length of time I will need it?  Can my skin handle repeated taping sessions?  Am I proficient enough on a bike to keep the stress on my knees to a minimum?  That is, do I shift enough to allow a constant rpm and decrease the tension on the knees?  Will I be a flat-roader or want to do something more strenuous?  Can I adjust my bike to decrease my tracking issues - maybe raise the seat a bit to  allow for less flexion, but still reach the pedals at full extension (and not "reach" which could cause hip/back issues). 

You say you were once a runner.  Have you tried walking? Or is that too painful?  Or slow? (lacks filling that very real "need for speed")  Cycling is generally a "knee friendly" sport, however, that is only really true when you have "normal" knees.  I think I would opt for something more knee-friendly like swimming.  Above all, resist the temptation to "throw" yourself into cycling.  Remember how long it took you to build up your running?  You most likely started as a child and built up every year - bear this in mind with your new activities and do not increase more than 5% per week.  Listen to your knees - they will tell you how you are doing.  Avoid the "zero to hero" mentality...

LatPKRGirl
LatPKRGirl

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 03:10:10 AM »
Gee there sure is a lot to consider and I thank you very much for all the food for thought. I really just thought cycling was a matter of getting on your bike and riding!

Youre right about the need for speed. I find lap swimming extremely boring. Its also about the need for exertion too. I have a motor scooter if I want to speed about, but I have yet to find a sport to replace the sheer physicality and joy of running.

I have bought a new bike. It has dual suspension to take the shock out any rough paths I may encounter. I have also adjusted the seat.

I do walk daily - I have a dog - but not strenuously.
The doctor had even suggested to me that I should just stick with non weight bearing exercise. Pity I cant grow wings.

Anyway I have to go now and wrap myself in cotton wool  ;) - thanks heaps for all the info!
 :)
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:19:07 PM »
Nikkie, would you consider taking aqua aerobics classes? I take them in a deep, cool pool wearing an aquabelt to remain afloat. The classes are fun, energizing, and generally fine for my knee. I know lap swimming can be very dull--I'm not a strong swimmer, either--so aqua aerobics is a fun variation on 'regular' water activity.
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

support