Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PT before surgery  (Read 849 times)

Offline ibis003

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
PT before surgery
« on: March 08, 2006, 10:33:37 PM »
My OS wants me to start PT before surgery...Is this common? 
Dislocated Knee/ Blown ACL/ruptured MCL 2-18-06 (Donahue  Triad)
Started pre-op PT 3-14-06
ACLR & MCL repair on 4-26-06

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: PT before surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 01:43:30 AM »
Hi,

Yes, it's very common to try to get the muscles around your knee build up before surgery.  The stronger your leg muscles the easier time you'll have with your rehab afterwards.

Good luck.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 01:17:29 AM »
Hi Ibis

PT as much as you can before surgery! Get your butt in the gym and make your legs as strong as you can. My PT had me build up both my legs before my TTT and it has really helped me with my recovery.

Try some leg press, some one legged squats, some romanian dead lifts, lots of VMO work and more. If you're already fit, try to lift weights on your legs 2-3 times a week. If you're not fit start out slow but do as much as you can, work your muscles to failure so they build up stronger and make sure you eat lots of protein. If you're not already exercising or are not sure on what to do I don't recommend you try any of this without a physio's ok and supervision until you know what to do.

To deal with the soreness I felt while I was building my legs up before surgery I massaged a lot on anti-inflammatory cream into me knees.

Hope this helps. I have wirtten a post op diary so feel free to read it and ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer :-)

Brigitta

Offline ibis003

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
thanks for the tips Brigitta, I have been going to the gym, just to keep some muscle on my leg.  PT has been great, it feels so good to move my leg on a regular bases (I am in a brace locked @ 20 degrees).  I am working my leg 2-4 times a day @ home & the gym.  I will check out you  post-op diary.

Offline ibis003

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »
I have been going to pre-op PT for about 2 weeks now, it is so nice to move my leg around.  My question is do I need to get to a certain range of motion before they operate.  I started PT at 70 degrees now I'm at 91 degrees, I have so much fluid under and around my knee it won't go to much futher.  when does the Doc usually drain the knee?