Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Maybe things are looking up! (Spoke too soon - Maybe not!)  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Maybe things are looking up! (Spoke too soon - Maybe not!)
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:12:05 PM »
Hi all,

I've been feeling really down, mostly because of the amount of pain I'm experiencing with my knee. Having said that, I've still forced myself to persevere with physio, in particular, straight leg raises, static quads, VMO etc since I slipped and dislocated my kneecap again 12 days ago.
Finally this morning, my knee decided to play ball and during physio (so at least I had a witness) I was able to straight leg raise and even hold it for a few seconds.   ;D
My PT was quite surprised that I'd worked so hard at it at home - apparently most people don't put much effort into physio, but I almost enjoy it when I get results like this.
I know its only a small step, and I have an incredibly long way to go yet but it's cheered me up no end.
I see my OS in 2 weeks so now I can really get my teeth into it and perfect this one exercise at least before I see him.
The only other thing is that I've had to accept defeat at work today. I went back to work on Monday last week for the first time since surgery. I've deliberately taken it easy and not overdone things, but didn' t realise how much pain can wear you down. I had to admit to my Manager today that I just can't cope with work in general until I can control the pain. Even making my way to the office is really difficult and trying to compelte site visits and building inspections is impossible - but at least I cansay I gave it my best shot! My Manager has been supportive so far and has contacted Personnel to find out what options are available to me. So for now, I'll just make the most of a bad situation.

Thanx for listening/reading,

Laura
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 07:57:00 PM by laura79316 »
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Maybe things are looking up!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:36:01 PM »
Hi Laura
Great achievement - you deserve to be pleased with yourself.

As for the pain - I dont think that unless you are suffering from that constant nagging pain that you can appreciate how debilitating it is . I find that when my pain is under control it is easy to forget how bad things got.  did that make sense?

You have to take care of yourself first, work can wait.  I am pleased that your company are being supportive - so many just dont appreciate what a problem it can be, especially in draggaing you down mentallly as well as physically

keep up the good work with the physio!!
take care
A.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:05:13 PM »
Hey Laura

Hoorah! It's about time things started looking up for you. Not working will also give you more time and opportunity to work on your exercises. It's great that work are supporting you, it really takes the pressure off if you're not worrying about it.

Last week my mum bought me a bottle of glucosamine and emu oil gel. You rub it into the offending joint. Now I don't know if it's a placeabo effect but it seems to be helping with the pain I have. When I get home later I'll dig out the link to their website so you can have a look. Hey, it's go to be worth a try and it's an alternative to rattling with pills inside you!

I hope this is the turning point for you and that things continue to improve.
Hop x

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 03:33:52 PM »
Hey,

Thanx for that. I'll try absolutely anything to get rid of the pain. If it means selling my soul, I'd even do that!

L.x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 09:17:46 PM »
Hi Laura

Decided to post the site on here rather than email you just incase anyone else is interested. The site is....

www.zipvit.co.uk

I's a white plastic bottle with a blue label of glucossamine and emu oil gel. Supposedly effective for arthritis, muscle strains,sprains, back ache and tendinitis. Seems to have helped me!

Hope you are doing good.
Hop ;D

Offline katuc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Just wanna smile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »
Hi Hop

Thanks for the suggestion I've just been on line and ordered some, i've never found glucosamine to work before but i guess one small capsule was trying to help my whole body and that might have asking a little much, so maybe this direct approach will work better.

Kat
Will anyone ever believe me :(

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: Maybe things are looking up! (Spoke too soon - Maybe not!)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 08:08:52 PM »
Hey,

Thanx for that Hop. Today I've been diagosed with RSD. my OS had mentioned it but I didn't think my symptoms were right so never bothered mentioning it before. I've had all kinds of tests including a nerve block, x-rays, MRI, ECG, bone scan etc, not all of them particularly pleasant.
Fortunately I saw my GP today. My OS had written to him about it and surprisingly, he has a special interest in the condition.
What this boils down to is that I have to change my job to be more office based and I must resign from the Police. I can't believe it - the 2 things I enjoy most and I must give them up just because of pain.
I hope it becomes a little more tolerable, otherwise how do I play with my son as he grows?!
Sorry for moaning.

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »
OMG Laura ! dont know what RSD is but be very careful about the resigning from your job - dont just chuck the towel in - pretty sure they will have to find you something else to do - equal opportunities employer and all that - dont know too much about it other than I resigned from the police when my daughter was a year old having served 10 years - fully intending to rejoin when the kids were older and was told that it would be no problem - so 6 yrs later I reapplied and was turned down on ill health as I had had knee surgery! This surgery was as a result of being hurt on duty!!!!!!!! Just to add insult to injury - I had moved my pension to a better performing scheme and subsequently was not entitled to an Ill health pension - which I would def have got ha I not moved it - gutted.

Please get advice
anja
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
Hey Anja,

Thanx for that. I'm not a regular officer, just a special and each year just to be insured on duty we have to sign a contract stating we are fit to perform duties. With RSD I don't think I'll ever be fit enough again.
My full time post with the Local Authority isn't so bad - I can stay with the same Department on the same money, just not go out on site so often.
I don't want to just give in without a fight, but I don't have any fight left. I don't know who to ask for help or what to do. Nor do I know how I'm supposed to feel about it. I'm not used to getting bad news and when I do, it doesn't usually affect my whole existence like this.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 07:11:41 PM »
Hi Laura
this may not sound right but I was glad to see that its not your main employment going down the pan - however still not good.  It might be worth having a chat with the police fed - presume they cover you as far as advice goes - maybe they can find you some other work that doesn't involve being out and about.
sorry but what is RSD? prob being very dense.

anja

(ps .specials are important people too)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 07:41:04 PM »
Hey Anja,

Thanx for your comments. Until last year the Police Fed didn't recognise Specials as Police Officers - stupid, huh?! Then they backed down and we are able to join for a fee. Obviously they're running out of money, but to try to take money off people who don't get paid for the (mostly risky) work done I think is disgusting. Therefore, I won't join on principle. Having said that - I think once Occ Health get wind of this, I'll be off the force anyway. I intend to speak with my DO to see if there are any other options because since being unable to go out on duty, I've been responsible for training new Specials (and a few pro cons) in force policy and paperwork, with a bit of criminal law thrown in. So, there may be a way around it.

No - you're not being dense. Until recently I had no idea what RSD was. its RSD/CRPS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy/Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome). I'm not really up on all the facts about it, but what I do know is that it hurts like hell. Having my son without pan relief was far easier than dealing with this!
Basically, it can affect any part of the body, usually after trauma. The injury can heal perfectly well, but one can be left with chronic pain which can be very debilitating. Some people can get better and the earlier the diagnosis, the better the chances of recovery. Some people though have to put up with it for life. I'm finding it difficult because no amount/type of painkillers or anti-inflammatories will work. So, I've ended up having a load of tests which I'm told do not conclusively prove I have it, but have ruled out everything else.
There are lots of people here who know more than me about it so maybe they could fill you in some more - or at least point me in the right direction if what I've said or been told is wrong.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 04:24:48 PM »
Hi Laura

I'm so sorry I havn't responded to your post until now, I've been poorly! I don't really understand what you mean by RSD?
What has your OS said exactly with regards to living with it, is it something that you can recover from? Rehab etc?

With regards to the special police, firstly good on you for getting out there and making a difference. Is there any way your duties can be altered to suit your condition? What you you do also for your main job?

I am sending you all the support I can and as soon as I get back to work I'll dig out some funny mails to make you smile. In the meantime you maon all you like.
Hop

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
Hey Hop,

Thanx. I need to let off steam every now and then - just seems like more often than not at the moment. I hope you are feeling better now.
Both my OS and GP have told me loads about RSD but to be honest, even though I understand what they've told me, I can't get my head around it. It doesn't make any sense. Basically, one of my nervous systems is running wild and there's not a whole lot I can do about it. There are certain treatment, rehab protocols etc that can help.
I can't really explain it to you. The best thing I can suggest is that you have a look at their website www.rsd-crps.co.uk The American site www.rsdhope.org is also very good. they both have loads of info, but I just can't seem to absorb it. I'll ahve to keep reading about it some more I think.
As far as living with it is concerned - I don't want to. I've already had enough of being in so much pain I don't feel like getting up in the morning, usually because I can't! I'd rather my OS just took the damn leg off above the knee and destroyed any nerves that were left. Then no more knee problems and no phantom pain either without nay nerves.
As far as the police are concerned, my Senior Officers are very supportive but there's only so much they can agree to. If I'm not to do any duties then I really shouldn't hold the Queen's warrant so would probably lose all my police powers. To be honest, I don't wanna give it up - it's come in handy before now even when I've not been on duty.
My full time post is as a Planning Inspector for the Local Authority. I have to make site visits, inspect buildings usually during the course of construction and determine whether any breaches of planning law have occurred. Then there's the office work/paperwork to do too. My employers are being really good - they've offered me reduced hours, reduced visits, reduced office work - basically anything I want. But it's such a struggle just getting to work. I've only been back 2 weeks and I don't want them to think I'm just backing off because I'm being lazy as that isn't it at all.I'm just so worn down with it. I'm getting irritable and arsy with everyone and I can't even remember the most simple things at work. I have to write everything down - it's embarrassing.
I'm seeing my OS on Friday so I'll see what he says..
Thanx for your support.

Laura x
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:05:34 PM by laura79316 »
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 09:36:35 PM »
Hi Laura

Have read the site and sent you an email
Hop
 ;D

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 03:51:37 PM »
Hey,

Well, it looks as though the knee is now completely screwed! I didn't see my OS 'cos he was stuck in theatre so I saw someone who doesn't know my history, my knee and took no time to read my file. Not his fault entirely - they could've made me wait for my OS I suppose!
He told me that there's now absolutely nothing left to do and I have to strengthen muscles to prevent further dislocations. This is ridiculous - I have blasted my knee with physio and can complete most exercises now. OK it's painful, but I can do them so there must be some improvement.
I have to go back to the hospital on Monday to get a hinged knee brace to be restricted to 30 degrees. I have to wear this until I see my OS in 3-4 weeks. How this is supposed to stop it dislocating I don't know - but I supposed it's worth a try.
I phoned my physio to let them know what was said. They're keeping my file open but I don't to go again. Does that make sense to anyone? If I don't need to go why aren't they discharging me?
Could be worse - I could be a horse - I'd have been shot by now!

Laura
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:05:50 PM by laura79316 »
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy