Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: how long does it take to be normal again?  (Read 822 times)

Offline brokengal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
how long does it take to be normal again?
« on: March 08, 2006, 03:02:46 PM »
Hello everyone.  I just found this site and am so excited to connect with people who have been through the same thing.

Last April, I was in a motorcycle accident and fractured my knee.  It was an odd break (off to the far right) and was an open wound for several weeks.  As a result, I had to wear an odd brace.  After the wound healed I began therapy and progressed fairly well.  In fact, I did so well that my dr cancelled my remaining therapy sessions and said I could continue at home. 

I did do exercises at home for awhile but once I began walking better, I quit.  In November I tried to go back to working out and was in so much pain after a few weeks that I gave up.  Now, I feel like I've either had a set back or I'm just frustrated of where I am.

I am nearing the one year anniversary and not back to normal - in my standards, at least.  I can walk, ride a bike, etc but with limitations.  Hills and stairs kill me - especially walking down stairs.  I still have pain in my knee - some days worse than others.

My question is, am I where I should be?  Do others who have had a break still have pain and difficulty 11 months out?  Should I go back to the doctor?  I haven't seen him since July when he released me.  I just want to be back to where I was - enjoying life and being active.   ???

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: how long does it take to be normal again?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »
Hi,

I think, in the first instance, it may be worth you resuming some of your physio exercises. Take it easy at first then build it up as much as you can. If you still have problems then really you should go back to your doctor/OS. You could also try getting some more rehab sessions so as you build up at home, you can carry onto the next stage during rehab.
Bear in mind that everything we do involves our knees and once they start playing up, they continue to do so until they're rested. Resting an injured knee isn;t always easy or practical, but may help at least in the short term.
Hills and stairs kill me too. Think of the forces that you put through your knee joint every time you take a step. Going up hill or up stairs increases those forces and going down hill or downstairs dramatically throws those forces up into orbit. If you haven't regained a decent amount of muscle strength, then normal every things like this are gonna hurt - but are generally resolved quite easily.
Also, everyone's knees heal differently and at different rates. You need to listen to your knee and take things at your own pace.

Hope this helps.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline brokengal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 03:32:56 AM »
anybody out there?   ???

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:58:39 AM »
Yes, were out here.  I am only 4 months into a broken patella and wonder the same thing. Will I ever get back to normal.  Did you have any pins and wires, and if so is it still in?  I am in a lot of pain but think its mostly due to the hardware.  They will be taking it out next week and hopefully I will start getting back to normal, if there is such a thing.  I have already accepted the fact theres just going to be some things I won't ever be able to do again.  I had such a bad break and am just so grateful I can even walk again.

Yes, you should definitely seek opinion from a doctor, if your still having a lot of pain and difficulty doing things.  A year later you would think should be pain free.  Oh my, I just can't imagine having this pain continue on for another 6  or 7 months.  Go to the doctor and keep us posted.  Hope your pain free soon.

By the way me and hubby ride motorcycles, but broke knee by slipping on ice.  Have suffered so much don't know if I ever want to get on that bike again.  I love to ride but don't know if its worth the pain if we were to get into a accident.

tippyclubb
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 04:01:58 AM by tippyclubb »

Offline brokengal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 10:52:24 PM »
We used to ride when we were dating and we sold it after we married.  12 years later we decided to buy another one and this wreck was actually our first long ride after buying it.

I loved to ride too but after this year and knowing that i may suffer for a lifetime from some of my injuries, I don't think I'll be back on one.

People just don't watch for motorcycles.   :(