Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Did you use the CPM after TKR?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Did you use the CPM after TKR?
« on: March 06, 2006, 02:13:44 AM »
Hello All!

At my arthroscope post-op appointment I asked my OS if he prescribes the CPM in the hospital and then for home use after a TKR.  He said he will prescribe one if I want it (how am I suppose to know if "I want one"??).  He said no one has shown that a CPM makes any difference in the long run.  I have come across articles to support that theroy; however my question to you very knowlegeable folks is:  Did you use the CPM and did you find it to be of benefit?

I appreciate any input .. need to get all my ducks in a row before I book surgery!

Thank you,
Huntingandmoon

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Did you use the CPM after TKR?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 02:32:47 AM »
I had a left TKR in Jan 05. My doctor puts his patients in a CPM right out of surgery. I was in one out of surgery at about 60 degrees flexion, but it wasn't turned on til the morning. I used it in the hospital 2hrs/3 times a day and took it with me when I was dismissed at 4 days. I used it a total of 2 weeks. I found it very beneficial for a jump start on flexion. Extension is the most important to achieve early on. The most I got up to in the CPM was 100 degrees. After the CPM Machine was discontinued, I used the ERMI flexionator seat. The PT dept had the ERMI and I had the doctor write a script for me to have one to use at home for 2 mos.  It helped me progress further with my flexion and the constant battle with the stiffness you will have the first 4 mos. When I was 2 weeks post op, I was at 122 degrees flexion. The highest flexion I got was 130 and that was while using the ERMI, but a year later I am between 120-125 degrees flexion.

So to answer your question, I found the CPM to be very beneficial for early flexion after TKR surgery, but it takes constant hard work afterwards to continue gaining flexion once the CPM has been discontinued.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline nlb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:24:41 PM »
I HIGHLY recommend using the cpm.  I am a ortho nurse as well as suffer from knee problems and see the benefits from the cpm.  Pts that use the cpm have a much better recovery.  The cpm helps with range of motion and pain control.  When I had my knee surgery the cpm helped considerably.  It helps keep scar tissue down  and keeps the knee flexible which helps in physical therapy.  I used my machine 1-2 times a day for 1-2 hours at each session.  Hope this helps.  Good luck with your TKR.  Any questions please feel free to ask.

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:48:31 AM »
Thank you all for your honest answers!  I think I'll err on the side of caution and ask my OS to order a cpm in the hospital as well as at home.  At least my OS will work with me - even if he thinks patients do fine without a cpm!  Doing all of this research is very time consuming, but I am the type who needs to research and get answers or I don't do very well post-operatively...so thank you all very, very much!

Huntingandmoon

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:42:48 AM »
Our OS put patients in a CPM right after surgery. Their only goal is getting the patients to get 90° of flexion within a week. Either by CPM or active ROM exercises, as long as they gt the 90°bent it's ok. however passive motion is more easy than active ROM.

Good luck!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support