Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: need info on an injury  (Read 1087 times)

Offline bluplate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
need info on an injury
« on: March 30, 2003, 01:27:35 PM »
    I begin by saying I understand the absurdity of diagnosing anything via the internet and plan on seeing an orthopaedic surgeon as soon as Monday morning, having said that maybe you can shed some light on my situation. I am a 36 year old male who is very athletic and very fit. While practicing yoga I heard a pop on the outside of my right knee. My left leg was firmly on the ground. I bent my right knee and placed my right ankle just above and on top of my left knee. I then proceeded to bend over bringing my hands to rest on the floor. This, on this day, obviously created too much strain on the outside of the knee because as my hands touched the ground a pop, or snap sounded. I have never heard this sound before. I did not immediatly lose any stability in the area, and when I returned home I iced the knee over the next 24 hours. However upon awaking there is what I would describe as a burning sensation in the area. It is not a throbbing pain, or even pain, just a hot sensation. But when I move the joint there is a bit of pain and a feeling of instabilty.
      Any thoughts?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: need info on an injury
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 07:30:56 PM »
I tore my lateral meniscus doing Downward Facing Dog pose in Yoga...it might be something to look into.  If you'd torn something bigger (cruciate ligament for example) you'd expect a lot of swelling and stability.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 09:37:24 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Good luck at the doctor's office, and please do go ahead and see one. Keep us informed!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 06:18:01 PM »
It sounds like you tore the Lateral Ligament but as you said, an OS visit is needed. The MEdial and Lateral ligs are fairly thin and can heal but usually they heal weak. The pop you hear with ligaments usually means they snapped. They dont often swell in that area either. Hope all goes well for you, I just tore my medial in my good leg but it doesnt always mean surgery is needed. I am continuing light sport with a soft brace on my good leg just to support it a bit. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

support