Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cat is back- 2yrs post TTT  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: cat is back- 2yrs post TTT
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »
Thanks Cat - The scope was easy.  Some grinding, chopping, and sucking - all soft tissue so little to recover from.  I see the doc this morning to remove stitches etc.,.  Feeling really great - actually.  There was a pretty large piece of cartilage that came from med. femoral, and I think that was the biggest issue.  Like walking around with a stone in your shoe, I guess.

Ahhh, the Open Championship!  Looks pretty easy with no trees on the course!  Ha!

Best wishes, -

Steve
8-04 RtK ACL Recon & Menisectomy, LK scope, patella shaving
1-05 LK synvisc & patella bracing
4-8-05 LK LR, VMO Advance, TTT
1-4-06 Screw removal
6-5-07 LK Arthroscopic chondroplasty, synovectomy
4-2013 RK oblique medial meniscus tear, ganglion cyst, baker's cyst - arthroscopy
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
Steve, sounds like your OS made a smoothie out of your knee.  :o Now that the doc has had his turn, will the physical terrorists get a chance to work you over?

BTW, you've got 3 1/2 mos to find those shooting plugs. Looks like we're playing spin the bottle with the leg Sept 27th.
 ;D cat  ;D

"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »

Hi Cat -

September 27th sounds like a lucky day!  So,...this is just one twisted leg?  or,...is the other one a candidate as well?  Lately I've been wondering how some folks age so gracefully?  Maybe we had more fun than they did when we were younger and deferred paying the bill until we hit 40?!  I think that may be my case anyway....that and crappy genetics.

Rehab?  I don't need no stinking rehab!  Doc said no running in Grandma's Marathon in Duluth this weekend...rats!  Other than that, I guess he figures I know the drill.

Oh...and as the saga continues - I'm off to see the urologist next week  (one might call him the Wizz-ard)- apparently, knees aren't the only thing 40'ish guys have issues with. ;)

Take care - Steve
1-4-06 Screw removal
4-2013 RK oblique medial meniscus tear, ganglion cyst, baker's cyst - arthroscopy
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »
Steve,
These babies came in a matching set. However, the L knee was the one that used to do the one legged skating squats.  :o  Right now I don't see any reason to inquire about a 2fer deal.

Hope the 'wizzard' is able to work some magic for you. Maybe a little Flowmax will fix you up.

Have a good one,
 ;D ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
I FINALLY got the notes from my visit to see Dr T. They read like a novel compared to some docs. (I told you he is thorough.) Anyway, according to the notes the original problem was the torsion in my legs- femoral and tibial . Initial measurements overlaying poorly done CT films indicate a femoral neck to condyle measurement of *50 and an epicondyle to malleolus (ankle) measurement of *35.  I guess normal is around *15.  More precise measurements from a better more standard CT will have to be taken prior to surgery. The distal and proximal work I had done previously will have to be undone. That surgery is overloading my medial compartment. I also have "a considerable amount of scarring of the infrapatellar fat pad." :'( At the apt we had spoken about having the derotation surgery and TTT revision at the same time but, according to the notes, those things are usually done separately. I guess what's done and when will depend on my insurance. I hate having my insurance company dictate my medical care. Good thing I hadn't already purchased plane tickets. To top it off, I found out that Dr T is no longer in network. Bummer!

So now I have to get diagnosis and procedure codes to find out how my insurance will reimburse. And I have to determine if there is a preexisting condition clause. Fun, fun. And I'm still waiting for some faxed questions to be answered. I want to know what's it's gonna be like to have my leg spun around so my foot is turned out. ??? ??? I'm also hoping I can get the contact info of someone who has 'been there done that'.

to be continued.... ;D

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:54:46 AM by cat »
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Hard to wrap your head around it all, I bet?  Surely affirms the complexity and wonder we call the human body.
Amazing it works as well as it does....isn't it?

Best wishes to you as you continue...  Ever consider just getting a good narcotic prescription and forgetting about it?  I tried that for about a year....turns out that it's not such a good idea ::).

Wizzard update: took 12 slices to look at under a microscope (another story, another time) and all came back negative!  Yea!  Following a nasty UTI, I'm back in the swing ;).  Follow-up blood work in 6 months.

Keep us posted - I'm interested in how others have fared with the untwisting.  The kid on Little People Big World seemed to do OK and it looked like he had similar femoral/tibial involvement. 

Peace - Steve
1-4-06 Screw removal
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »
:o 12 slices ?!  :o Holy smokes! Wasn't one or two enough? Did the good news at least make it more worthwhile?

Thanx for the well wishes. I didn't know that someone on Little People Big World had an untwisting. Was that a recent episode? Were both legs done? Was there any limb lengthening involved?

Have a good one,
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

brianne

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »
Zach on Little People had his leg straigtened.  His tibia and fibula bowed and they were both cut and made straight.  It was a fairly recent episode.  I found that episode kind of interesting.  his leg might be an inch longer, but that is only because it is now straight instead of bowed.

Brianne

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »
Yep -

I think Brianne is correct - maybe not so much untwisting as un-bowing?  I think the doc said the length was only marginally altered-  Might be able to catch the episode/s on-line.  Anyway, I paid attention 'cause I'm sort of interested in knees/legs....can't imagine why?

Keep cool  8) Steve 8)
1-4-06 Screw removal
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 06:50:55 AM »
Cat:

F****ing Ins.  I hope you can work it all out.  You deserve the best treatment for your condition.  Good luck.  It is strange a third party gets to dictate your care regardless of the impact on your life, nor for your doctors decisions/desires. 

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 11:11:12 PM »
Thanx all. I will have to see if I can find that episode.

And thanx fire535, for the support.

The OS's office gave me the procedure and diagnoses codes today for the derotation, the TTT revision and  medial work, and for the arthrofibrosis. Now I need to call my insurance to find out how much they "might" reimburse along with a statement about how this isn't a guarantee of payment. And I won't know til after the surgery whether my insurance will cover all the procedures or just some of them.  :o :o :o  How in the world are you suppose to make any kind of intelligent decision based on that limited info? My one leg could cost one of my kid's his college education. Eenie meenie miney moe.... which one gets to pay his own way?

I'll ponder that why I grab some pizza.
Later  ;D ;D
 ;D ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 10:38:36 PM »
Okay, so here’s the latest. I WAS scheduled for a derotation of my femur, scar tissue removal, and revision of the previous work I had done (TTT, medial reefing, and VMO advancement) on Sept 27th. (I say revision but Dr T was actually going to undo what had previously been done.) Then there was a problem with whether the reimbursement would be enough. So there was talk about splitting the procedures up and having separate surgeries. So months after setting up the surgery date and still not knowing what procedure(s) was going to be done, I bought the plane tickets for myself, my DH, and my mom who was coming to coral the kids.  Today I got the news…  The doctor would not be able to do surgery on that date. **!#!*!!#*  And after I bought the tickets! :'(  So now, I have the option of 2 weeks from now  :o  or 2 weeks after the original date.  I had everything planned out.  ..sigh..  Sometimes life plays not so funny jokes on you.

I’ve got to pow wow with my guy and mom to see what date works best for all. But now at least I know that the doctor intends to all the procedures together. One stop shopping- the consolation prize.

will update later
 :) cat  :)
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 11:59:19 PM »
Good luck and you may be able to get the airline to change your tickets for no charge.  I think they make some acommendations for people flying for medical procedures.

Sucks about the short notice change, but at least your having both procedures done.

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 03:16:29 PM »

Rats!  I wish you the best though - you deserve it :-*

Take care -

Steve
1-4-06 Screw removal
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2007, 12:58:51 PM »
Thanx, fire535. Thanx, Steve. The ticket changes will cost 100$ ea but at least I have that option. And I'm not buying anything til I talk with the scheduling nurse on Wed.
Steve, how are your hinges doing?
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05