Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cat is back- 2yrs post TTT  (Read 6666 times)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: cat is back- 2yrs post TTT
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 08:20:52 PM »
Hey Jim,
You've tried cortisone. What about rooster juice?

Do you get a discount since you already have part of a new knee? Curious minds want to know. ;)

Lovin that zipper idea,
 ;D cat† ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-† 3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »

Heather,
Damn, girl.† I sure hate hearing that you are still having issues.

Well me too!† Thank you so much for your concern but thereís no need to worry. Iím really not in that bad a shape. (I am better than I was). I donít have patella baja and most of the pain I have is my fault- sort of a self control thing. (I like to have fun.) On a good day I hardly notice my knee unless itís bent for too long and just a bit when walking, noticeably when† extending, and† definitely when squatting. I have full extension and almost full ROM. I do have some quad- just not much of a VMO.† I believe I had the x-rays you mentioned last fall. My OS is aware of infrapatellar contracture, doesnít think my knee will get worse, but does think it would be good to get another opinion. He gave me several names-† PF "thinkers"† who also have good surgical skills.

I would be inclined to give up and attribute the continued problems to old lady knee syndrome if the post op report had noted cartilage damage. It did not. Everything looked relatively normal. So I dare to hope. I just want to make sure that the tight knee and the pursuit of fun donít spoil things for me in the future.

How are you doing these days?
 ;D cat† ;D[/color][/b]
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 11:12:39 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing 'better' Cat.  Funny how we qualify things isn't it?.  So the wife says (some of you know about her critical care nursing job) "do you think you'll make it through the night, or should I make "arrangements"........HELLO!  I'll have burned out the 3rd transmission in my "Rascal" before she can make "arrangements""!!  Gold Digger?? :o
Cat:: Personal Note: they cut into my roof to add on a new kitchen the other day....Got three (3) inches of rain last night.........needless to say., "We're" not amused."

Peace - Steve

8-04 RtK ACL Recon & Menisectomy, LK scope, patella shaving
1-05 LK synvisc & patella bracing
4-8-05 LK LR, VMO Advance, TTT
1-4-06 Screw removal
6-5-07 LK Arthroscopic chondroplasty, synovectomy
4-2013 RK oblique medial meniscus tear, ganglion cyst, baker's cyst - arthroscopy
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline Jimb

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 01:31:35 AM »
Hey Cat!!   Yea, it's cortisone time,  I tried the juice 3 years ago but cant have the shots anymore due to a bad reaction to the stuff. just my luck. 

Heather M had an interesting reply there about the scaring.    One thing the doctor comented on when he was giving me the shot was that I have a lot of scar tissue in the joint.  He said he was able to feel it while putting the needle in.   That might just be something for both of us to look into.
12/2003 scope left knee
03/2004 fulkerson, left knee
02/2005 Scope left knee,
05/2005 Patello-Femeral Replacement Lt Knee
10/2006 Scope,† Lateral Release, Scar tissue debriment
03/19/2007 Left TKR,

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 01:40:26 AM »
Steve,
How is Chef Boyardee gonna manage? Does this mean that dinner has been rained out??
 ;D cat† ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 01:48:25 AM »
Hey Jim,
Too bad about the juice reaction as the HA seems to work well for so many. You know I hear their using leeches now a days.... As for the scar tissue,
He said he was able to feel it while putting the needle in.
But did you feel it?† :o OWIE† :o
 Maybe that contributed to the early demise of your meniscus. I would certainly look in to that.

Glad my OS didn't feel anything but me squirm when he injected me!
 ;D cat† ;D[/color][/b]
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »
Good on you for your persistance Cat - I sure hope the injections work. 

Thanks for sharing your pictures - very interesting and...um...revealing? ;)

Hope your summer is going well - I'm off to chase a little white ball......

Steve
1-4-06 Screw removal
4-2013 RK oblique medial meniscus tear, ganglion cyst, baker's cyst - arthroscopy
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 04:45:33 PM »
Steve, you silly man. I find the little white ball to be very frustrating but you go after it and have fun. Thanx for the well wishes,
 ;D cat† ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 04:16:08 AM »
Sept 7 2006 Ė I made a trip to see The Man- "Dr F" in CT
 I had to wait over an hr to see Dr F. There was a young man who examined me and took a brief history but didnít bother with the notes I brought. I don't remember if he was an intern or fellow or what but I gave him my history and all. Probably told him more than I told the doc. Anyway, he was nice, Dr F was nice. The exam wasn't as thorough as some others I've had but perhaps he didn't feel the need to do some of the typical knee exam stuff. They looked at my films. They noticed the tacks in the patella and found it odd as they don't use those for medial work. They also wondered how my OS had accessed the medial side and finally concluded it was through the lateral incision. Guess they don't do that either. The doc had me lie on my stomach and brought my knees to my butt or at least as close as they would go. He noticed a big difference in ROM between the two and said I had tight hip flexors. So he gave me some quad stretches to do. He said to really work at them and- get this- to do yoga! He noted that I had quite a bit of crepitus despite the post op report saying there was no significant chondral damage. I dont' know if the crepitus is from the realignment surgery or just the natural progression of a degenerative process. He thought it was possible that my medial work had been over adjusted. If the stretching doesn't help, I can schedule a scope with possible medial release in 4-6 mos. Not sure if I want that but dont' want to get worse. He gave me a 75% chance of improvement with a 5% chance of getting worse. I asked if I would get worse without surgery and he couldn't say. Soooo, I guess I have mixed feelings about the apt. It wasn't very definative and I almost felt silly being sent home to do quad stretches. I should have asked how many success medial releases he has done. That piece of info would have been most helpful.
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:01:56 AM by cat »
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline Jimb

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 01:35:03 AM »
CAT!!!  From what I am reading here you are STILL having problems with those hinges of yours???? It seems your traveling around the country to see different doctors.

If you are there is a doctor here in South Jersey that as it was put to me by 2 people during the preop testing......  "Jim you do realize that you have the Guru of knee's working on you"
The people in the hospitals he is affiliated with and the doctor that refered me to him hold him in very high regard.  And I must say he did a great job on me. 7 weeks post op from a TKR and I'm looking at going back to work in the construction trades in about 2-3 more weeks.

If you are interested in having a consultation with him let me know and I'll private message ya his name and phone number

Jim
12/2003 scope left knee
03/2004 fulkerson, left knee
02/2005 Scope left knee,
05/2005 Patello-Femeral Replacement Lt Knee
10/2006 Scope,† Lateral Release, Scar tissue debriment
03/19/2007 Left TKR,

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »
Hi Cat!

Hope you and Toto are ok in KS. Having lived through 2 direct hits, I surely have compassion for the windblown folks. Another thing,  I've known alot of dogs but never one named Toto. Maybe it's an 'as big as you thought state' thing?
So if you have an osteotomy on your femur, and tibia, and re-do the tubercle...Ouch.  I'm only 2 states over - give me a heads up so I can put my shootin plugs in.

Diffuse PVNS is the latest for me.  We'll see.  Sounds like an easy procedure - arthroscopic synovectomy  on June 5 and take another snip out of my meniscus.  Gotta admit, I'm getting tired and losing patience. 

Take care and good luck - Steve
1-4-06 Screw removal
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 10:49:51 PM »
Finally got the radiologist's report from the CT I had done.

Conclusion:
1.† Bilateral femoral internal rotation; 34* on the right and 28* on the left.† † †( Normal values femoral anteversion:† 8-15 plus or minus 5-9 degrees.)
2.† Bilateral tibial external rotation;† 37* on the right and 34* on the left.† † † †( Normal values tibial anteversion:† 18 degrees with 13.4 average.)
3.† Borderline bilateral patella alta.

:o :o :o :o :o :o
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: cat is back- 3 yrs post TTT- looking at a derotational osteotomy
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 03:06:47 PM »

June 8, 2007- the apt to see Dr T in MI-
First impression- This can't be the right place. I was expecting a mega medical complex with glitzy offices. This was a fairly modest unpretentious building. The waiting room was TINY and there was only one bathroom. Unisex, patients and staff shared it. That made quite an impression as I had drank quite a bit on the way over. After an hour in the waiting room, DH and I were taken to an exam room. The nurse took the paperwork and was dismayed to find I had been referred by F for rotational issues. Apparently, Dr T never got the letter of intro sent by F's office. Bummer. Anyway, to correctly evaluate, a CT study was needed. No problem. F had ordered one and I had it with me. WRONG! It wasn't done the way Dr T does them. Nor did he trust my radiologist's reportings. So after another hour, I finally met the doc. Very nice man- gentle and unassuming and apologetic for the wait. He did a very thorough exam. Showed me all kinds of things like how the patella tendon didn't move the way it should. (It's tethered down.) He showed me how I was too tight medially and then brought out a CT study done the preferred way. Mine was different but he got it out along with tracing paper, pen, and protractor and proceeded to make some preliminary measurements- which were not the same as my radiologist's findings.† I also had full length leg x-rays done from hips to feet. I got pics of those and will add them to my album later. They're kind of neat.

So here's what I learned after almost 6 hrs at the doctor's office. I need another scan , one done in MI, Dr T's way, by his radiologist. And I need a derotation of the femur (an intertrochanteric osteotomy), a revision of my TTT, some medial work, and something to untether the patella tendon. Is that an anterior interval release? Dr T doesn't think I will need a tibial osteotomy. We will have a more accurate game plan after the scan.

The nurse seemed to think I could have the scan and preop work done on a Wed and have the 5 hour+ surgery on a Thurs sometime in Oct. We still have to check schedules to see what works for everyone. I will hopefully find out more later.

Anyway, Teitge and his staff are awesome- friendly and warm. His patients love him. (I know as I got to chat with some while waiting.) And this dude really knows his stuff! He is a true PF expert. I wish our paths had crossed sooner.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:52:14 AM by cat »
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »

Glad you were able to get some direction Cat.  I'm actually a bit nauseous thinking about your surgical plan though. I hope you were able to get a reference from you doc who can speak to you from the patient perspective to ease your mind a bit.   Peace to you and your family as you weigh your options and make decisions.

Steve
1-4-06 Screw removal
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
Hey Steve,
That nausea is probably from the pain meds you're surely on after your OR visit. How R U doing? I see that your recovery coincides with the Open. Cant' get enough of that little white ball, can you?

I asked about speaking with a patient who has had this done. I will call MI today and hopefully will get a phone number or e-mail today. Thanx for thinking of me.

Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way,
 ;D cat† ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05