Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: went in for OATS. and didnt have it  (Read 1614 times)

Offline femur

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • "it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt"
went in for OATS. and didnt have it
« on: March 03, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »
So i went in for my OATS surgery on jan 20th. i was planning on being inpatient for 5-6days and having TTT with my OATS.

so when i wake up. i was in a lot of pain, they gave me more pain meds and i went back to sleep. Then.... i asked "when am i going to my room?" then nurse replies. "oh honey, you're going home" WHAT!!!!?!?!?! then i start to cry and proceed to tell her how "screwed up!" my knee is and this can only be horrbile.
so to make a long story short.
i talked to the doc before i went home. and i would have needed 9-12 plugs to have the OATS. and that is just bad. so he cut scraped and did all the fun stuff and then took some cartliage out and it is growing in Texas, for ACI surgery probally at the end of this year..
holy moly. and i thought i would be on the road to recovery.. but once again.. I HAVENT even started. but i do have to say,. the stuff the he cut off, has helped. im not in as much pain.

so there you have it . my update story, if anyone cares. 
22 f
broke right femur in 03
several surgerys on right knee since
no cartilage in right knee under patella.
Having OATS 2.20.06

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: went in for OATS. and didnt have it
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 01:40:38 PM »
Femur, understand your disappointment, but if this surgery instead can make it better for you it can be worth the wait. Take it easy and let this go in for you and I hope you're on the road of recovery soon.
HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 09:47:13 PM »
Femur,

I feel for you also!!! I know first hand what it is like to feel like your going to be on the road to recovery and BAMMMMM the dorr get shut in your face.
Just be thankful that your OS did not take all of those plugs from somewhere else in you knee- just think of all the problems that could have created  :(
It sounds like your OS was thinking of all the unnecessary damage all of those plugs could have created and did the right thing for you.
Before you know it you will have your graft and be on that road to recovery!! I am happy that your pain level is a bit lower.
Keep us posted on how you do and when your next proceedure is!!

Paulette  :)

4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 12:39:16 PM »
Although I don't have knee problems I can understand your frustration.  One good thing is that your not having pain now and they are going to fix your knee.  You have a lot to look forward too.  Keep your chin up!
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.