Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dumb Question  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Dumb Question
« on: March 29, 2003, 05:51:19 AM »
People on this board talk about rehab a lot. I have always called it Physical Therapy. Whats the difference in PT and Physio :-[!?

Sorry for the dumb question!
Emily
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline eurofrenchie29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I miss skating.
Re: Dumb Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 03:36:41 AM »
Nothing is ever a dumb question...I'm pretty sure that rehab and PT is the same thing just has different names.  When your going through Rehab a Physiotherapist is providing that service.   When a person is in physio they are rehabilitating them selves. ::)
Osmond Clark Aggravation Test Positive/Gr lV patellar femoral change/Gr ll medial tibial change/Scope in 2002/Future knee replace/Chondromalacia/Cronic Pain/All thanks to falling on some ice.

Offline JenJen03

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 06:29:10 AM »
oh ok i was allways wondering about that too!
~Jen
18 years old -- bi-lateral (both knees) LR on  8/8/02, Synvisc injections in May of 04  and still in major pain.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 07:48:39 AM »
Physiotherapy is British English, Physical Therapy is American.  Same concept.  Rehab is when PT or Physio is performed after a surgery in order to rehabilitate the patient....

Languages are cool--that's why I like to study them.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 04:33:10 PM »
We call it physiotherapy in Canada too.

Just a little FYI.

:-)
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 07:08:27 PM »
I always just called it physio too, I think people just got too lazy to say physiotherapy and it was easier to write.
The different languages are great, I think us Aussies confuse a lot of people a lot of the time. Thats fair dinkum mate :-)  from the sheila down under. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 12:40:10 AM »
I think PT and rehab can mean the same thing or can be different, depending on the reason you are going. Post-surgery, you go to PT for rehab. But people also go before surgery, or instead of surgery, to find ways fight pain, etc. So you may go to PT for rehab, or may go for another reason.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 02:10:44 AM »
I know that Canada and Australia use the term 'physiotherapy,' not just England.  ;)

What I meant was that in linguistics, the 'brand' of English spoken in every country BUT the US is considered to be 'British English.'  In the US, we use 'American English.'  So linguistics buffs classify Canadians as speaking a variation of British English, same in Australia and NZ....that's why you lot write programme and theatre and we write program and theater.

What's really funny is the 'British English' is predominantly identified by the use of French spellings, as noted above!  How's that for ironic?

Languages are so cool.

Heather

PS Netty--Fair Dinkum is my favorite Aussie expression (except for maybe 'taking the piss')!  At least I can understand it...some of the rhyming slang went right over my head, though!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 02:12:12 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 04:12:54 AM »
Ah Ha!! The code is cracked in my head ;D!! Thanks guys!

Emily
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 07:21:24 PM »
Fair Dinkum = Its really true
Mate= friend
Sheila= female
Down Under = Australia
G'day= hello
Bloody Oath=yes, thats correct
Bugger Off=would you mind leaving
Owarya= How are you
Come a gutzer= to fall down
Pigs Bum= I dont believe thats right
Stunned Mullet= I am in utter disbelief
Pissed as a nit= he's very drunk (or she)
Drunk as a skunk= same as above
Hows it hangin'= Is everything alright today
Thats just a few, so if you visit my fine country, just say G'day mate, smile and you'll have your questions answered. Dont worry if someone says "rack off ya mug"
See ya's Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable