Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain at back of hyper-extended knee  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Geoff

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pain at back of hyper-extended knee
« on: March 12, 2003, 12:15:35 PM »
I am in my mid 40's and both knees have been hyper extended for as long as I can remember (heel will lift about 4" from level - can't give an angle).  At school I played rugby, judo, basketball and had problems with knee pain/swelling/fluid at age 16 - 18 that led me to give up all contact sports but I have no recollection of the hyper-extension being caused by an impact.

Compared to most of the cases on this board I am very lucky.  Normal life, running and tai chi don't give me any problems although my knees make a wierd assortment of cracking and grinding noises.  My knees don't give way and don't seem to have excessive lateral movement.  I don't often have knee pain.

However, I love hill walking and steep descents from hills do result in pain behind the knee - feels like the bottom of the hamstring.  The knees can bend backwards when descending on uneven ground.  I still feel pain 4 weeks after my last descent.  I don't use trekking poles - I probably should and intend to from now on but even so would not expect the pressure on knees that poles relieve to result in pain for 4 weeks.

Can anyone explain, or point me to an explanation of, what is wrong with the structure of the knee that has resulted in long term hyper-extension.

My quads and hamstrings are in reasonable shape and I do stretch before exercise but are there any specific exercises or stretching that I can use to prevent this pain?

Any other advice?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 11:05:29 AM by Geoff »

Offline BoxerDog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Plymouth Boxer Dog
Re: Pain at back of hyper-extended knee
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 02:38:21 PM »
You are describing similar symptoms to what I experience with my knees.   They click (louder now then a few years ago) when I contract and sometimes "clunck" when I extend!   Also have a constant dull aching pain..............stairs are a real problem when I get to the top!!

Recently been to hospital and the Doc said that it's just something I have got to live with, apparently th ecartlidge behind my knee caps are worn quicker than they should have and that they do not have the technology to replace the cartlidge!!! gutted!

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 07:14:37 PM »
I dont know if this will help, but I have a bit of that trouble as well and my Donjoy brace is great, I put a 10deg wedge into the hinge and it wont let my knee go back that last little bit. The brace is airy and not very restrictive at all. If thats all it takes to stop me from being in pain all the time, I'll wear my brace happily.
If a brace is recommended by an OS and fitted by an orthotist then you can claim it through your health fund. Mine was $800 but I didnt pay a cent for it. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 07:17:41 PM »
Oh my lord, Ive become a 5 star Superkneegeek with that last post. YA, That tells me I spend too much time in this site. It takes 501 posts to get 5 stars LOL.
Im so proud of myself LA LA LA LA LA   Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

support