Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: symptoms of a torn meniscus?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
symptoms of a torn meniscus?
« on: February 22, 2006, 04:21:16 AM »
okay , so i had a fulkerson's/LR on aug. 26 05 and have had a milion problems!

1. staph/ and something else unknown that kept the wound from closing for five months
2. PAIN!!!
3. dicolouration in an area where the skin is also indented
4. PAIN!!!
5. popping and warmth!!!

so, right now we are dealing with the pain popping and warmth and i dont know what is going on. I'm afraid that i may have torn the medial meniscus, because thats excatly the area that is popping and hurting. when i saw my OS on monday he said it was either secondary to the screws or secondary to the discolouration(but they dont know what that is ...so that really doesnt mean anything). we took an xray and i am to follow up on thursday, but unfortuntely if it doesnt show anything we will have to go in to find out whats wrong and possibly to remove the screws...because with the metal in the joint the MRI doesnt come out properly and doesnt show much of anything. What are some of the symptoms/warning signs of a meniscus tear...and how can i tell those apart from other problems?

please help!!!

amanda

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: symptoms of a torn meniscus?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 07:18:13 AM »
Amanda, I don't think anyone really here can tell what is what with your knee...though you can check out this website and learn more about meniscus.Take it easy..it doesn't have to be this bad. When will you get the answers of the Mri ?

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 06:01:24 PM »
Unfortunatly we didnt get anything from the MRI because the screws throw off the machine so everything comes out all blurry....but the xray results come back today....so hopefully they will show something so we dont have to go in and find out whats wrong....but on the otherhand hopefully they dont show anything because the last thing i need is a problem with the screws lol

and i know that it is unlikely that anyone here  can figure out whats up with my crzy knee...but with a bunch of stupped dr.s theres always a hope that someone will come up with an idea ...you know?

anyway...illl let you know how the xrays come out

amanda

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
HAHAHA...stupid doc, he should have known that. Hope x-ray can reveal something at least.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 04:56:17 AM »
hey, just thought id let you know how my appt. went today!

the xray looked perfect!
so...after his examination the dr. decided that it is the screws causing the problems and that he will take them out as soon as im ready(so really he wants to do it next wednesday lol) but, at this point i dont think im going to let him do it...cuz i think theres something else wrong too not just that....and i dont want to take them out unless we have to! but on the other hand if that is all thats wrong it would be nice to get rid of the pain

any thoughts?

amanda

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 07:48:22 AM »
I would get them out ASAP.If there is something else you will see that after the screws are gone.
Good luck !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 03:33:26 PM »
hi amanda, I don't know anything about fulkerson's.

generally, I would agree with Nettan on removing screws if the OS recommends it. I've read of similar screw issues in few ACLR cases.

He can take a look around while in there, hopefully this is not too invasive.

here's a good site for meniscus info:

http://steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/symptoms.asp

also, check the recommended book list on the bottom left side of this:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

support