Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1 year past PFR/TTT and finally posting  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
1 year past PFR/TTT and finally posting
« on: June 27, 2005, 03:42:12 AM »
I have put off posting to the "Success" board as a treat for when I was 1 year post-op. Sometimes I suffer from a bit of superstition, so promised myself I'd wait until after the 1 year mark for fear I may jinx it.

On June 18, 2004, I had an Avon patello-femoral replacement and a TTT at the same time after a nasty dislocation, a failed lateral release and 18 months of PT and agony. It wasn't easy as I worked very hard at therapy and tried to stay positive throughout it all, but I am finally at a point where I can say confidently that it was a success. I'm not the same person physically that I was before my accident, but that would be unrealistic to expect that. As it is, I am now able to live with the physical ability that the surgery has given me.

I am able to do most of the things I did before surgery, and feel that I am still getting stronger and better everyday. The jury is still out on skiing, kickboxing and backcountry hiking, but all in all, I am happy and thankful that I had the surgery. I was truly at the end of my rope before the surgery and could see no clear path to mobility.

I would like to thank Dr. Mark Deibert of Alpine Orthopedics and Eric Shelkey of Active Physical Therapy, both in Bozeman, MT. Without their skills and faith in my ablilities to recover, I'd still be in a horrible, painful situation. They both supported me and were willing to explore new territory with me and I owe them a great deal.

If anyone would like more information on my surgery, recovery or outcome, please IM me. I would be happy to share my experiences with anyone who may be facing the same situation.

Leta  8)
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: 1 year past PFR/TTT and finally posting
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:32:10 AM »
Hey Leta !!

Thanks for sharing your history. It's good to hear that peps actually can get better after having surgery.Wish you the best !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline reli-hunter

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Evil Knees
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 08:02:57 AM »

Hi Leta.
Congratulations on your first year.
Thanks Leta for all the tips and help you gave me..
Best wishes Jan
knees giving way & locking since childhood, patella tendon transfer in 1969 left knee,
ateral release & Arthroscope 03/03 right knee,PFJR 18/03/05 right knee,           Arthroscope medial plica removed 10/01/06 left knee, 
PFJR or TKR on the left knee in the future

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 01:28:07 AM »
Leta,

Offering my congrats and hopes for continued strengthening and mobility. You have been a godsend to me ( and many others, I'm sure) and I want to say thank you.

Wishing you all the best.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:57:02 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 06:54:57 PM »
You guys are too cool! I'm glad I could be of some help to you all. There are so many dark days when we are in the middle of it all and it's a relief when we can finally have a bright day...or two...or three! Keep the faith and never give up. New things in orthopedic medicine happen everyday and someday, we won't even need the board to help us slog through the dark times.

Wishing you all the very best and hope you are having an excellent knee day!

Leta  8)
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04

Offline kscamper

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »
Leta,
I haven't checked the board for a couple of months.....congrats on your anniversary.  I wish I could say my 1 year anniversary (Oct 4th or 5th) had me in as good of shape as you are.  I had the scar tissue scoped on July 25th and up until a week ago I was doing great.  All of a sudden I am swelling and have the "hot knife" pain again.  Last night was the worst (glad I kept some of the Loritabs from my scope) and I have been down most all day today.  I am beginning to think this is as good as it gets for me. 
BUT...glad you are doing well.  Do you hear from Nancy in NY?  Wonder how she is doing?

Sheila
Patellofemoral Arthrosis Right. PFJR 10-5-04 Avon prothesis. Cortisone shot 3-25-05 for scar tissue.  Scope with scar tissue removal 7-25-05. TKR right 2007.

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 11:33:09 PM »
Oh Sheila... :'(

I'm so sorry to hear that you are in pain. Maybe the hot knife pain was more scar tissue breaking loose? I'm sure you know the drill by now: rest, ice and elevation. I do pray that it will get better for you soon. I want all us pfr gals to kick butt and show the world that this works. Hang in there and do let me know how it's going from time to time.

Yes, Nancy and I still correspond. She hangs on the post op thread. She seems to be doing pretty well. They just moved and I get the feeling that she may have done too much during all that as there were some pretty down days for awhile. All in all though, it seems like she's getting along pretty well and has gotten back to shopping, which is something she loves to do! She still has the other knee to look forward to though and I know that is still a dark cloud to face.

You take care of yourself and give me a holler if you need any moral support or just a shoulder to cry on. I'm always here for you!

All my best,

Leta  :-*

Offline Pati__MT

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
Congrats Leta, I just posted to Hopefull's thread here is success stories. Glad to hear you are doing good. Watch that snow and ice. Take care  another fellow Montanian.....Pati
55 yrs old
April 12,2005 Fulkerson/LR left knee
Sept 13,2005 Fulkerson/LR right knee

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 08:05:44 PM »
WOW - Way to go Leta!!  I am so inrcredibly proud of you!  I'm out of Bozeman, now, and miss it terribly!!  We are hoping to find a way  to get back there that includes good jobs!!  It'll have to wait until next year, for now!

L.
Fell 3/02
TTT, lateral release, VMO transfer & meniscus repair on 4/20/04
Lysis of adhesions/MUA on 6/10/04
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
Normal minimal function (ie, stairs, walking, etc) by 8/23/04
NO probelms since!!
Pregnant spring 05 - Due 9/05!!!

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 01:50:55 AM »
Sheila,

Question for you from a neighboring state.  Where did you have your PFJ surgery and who was the OS? 

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:56:37 AM »
Kris,

So sorry it has taken me this long to respond! I have been rather absent from the board, but I think that may be a good thing!  :)

Dr. Mark Deibert at Alpine Orthopedics did my surgery in Bozeman. He did a fabulous job and I am forever grateful to him!

Please don't hesitate to IM me if you have any other questions. Since I don't visit the board too often, an IM would reach me in a more timely manner.

Leta