Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain/Clicking/Clunking  (Read 1509 times)

Offline BoxerDog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Plymouth Boxer Dog
Pain/Clicking/Clunking
« on: March 27, 2003, 02:23:04 PM »
 Hi,
I have recently been to the orthopedic section at the hospital about my knee complaint.  Both knees continually ache and I have to stop when I get to the top of any stairs as the pain in both knees is excruiating.  I can't even stand still for long without them hurting inside and I have to resort to sitting on the floor.....can be embarrassing when waiting outside shops with my dog!  My knees click and clunk when I bend them.

Well the doctor at the hospital said that the cartlidge behind my knee caps has excessively worn and that there is nothing they can do for me............she said I have to "live with it"!  I'm only 33 years old!!!!  She said there is no technology available to replace cartlidge! I find this hard to believe........surely there is something that can be done for me!  :'(

Possible reasons I can think of for my aching knees would be:
1) I jumped off a wall which was not as high as I thought when I was younger and I landed with dead straight legs, I remember my knees being in pain that night  :(
2) I used to work in the boat trade and my knees were damp/wet for most of the day  :-/
3) I worked in the motor trade which involved a lot of kneeling of hard concrete floors.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Pain/Clicking/Clunking
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 03:50:36 PM »
Sorry you are having so much pain. You definitely should see an OS who specializes in knees. There are all kinds of treatment options available.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 03:54:36 PM »
Hi there,
sorry to hear you have been having so much pain with your knees.
I have to say that if that is all the help the doc could offer, then I would seriously consider a second opinion.
It does sound like you could have damage to the patellar cartilage. Did the hospital take any X-rays or an MRI scan? If this is the cause of the pain, then they should really look into why the damage is being caused in the first place. It could be that the knee-cap isnt tracking properly - hence the clunking. There are surgical procedures that can help this, and physiotherapy can have good results by working on strengthening the muscles around the knee and correcting any inbalance there may be. There are also procedures for encouraging re-growth of cartilage (dont know if this applies to the patellar), or re-surfacing the patellar - but I know absoultely nothing about these! But there are some posts in the patellar-femoral section on this board which may help you.
I have had my patellar shaved on 2 occassions. There is a fair bit of damage there, but it isnt down to the bone and so not at a critical stage.
I hope you manage to find some answers...
One bit of advice I can offer - dont ever give up!
Best of luck
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline BoxerDog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Plymouth Boxer Dog
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 04:03:20 PM »
Thanks for the replys folks.   As I'm located in the UK , (Plymouth) , I feel like the NHS just fobbed me off!!!!

Deffinately not going to give up on this, I can't see how I can put up with the pain and discomfort for the rest of my life!

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 05:51:58 PM »
There actually is a procedure for replacing cartilge. Its something like, they take a bit of your own cartlidge out and they can grow it in the lab. Weeks later they put theis new growth back in. I forget off hand what its called but I know someone thats had it done and Ive read about it in the section here under abbreviations.
Get a few opinions, pain is not natural and pain means your body is telling you that. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 05:57:16 PM »
Sorry, I tried looking it up for you there but cant find it. I'll find out and get back to you.
PS, nice dog you have. My long haired Chihuahua just had 4 babies 2 weeks ago, very cute too. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

support