Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Whole body seems connected to my knee >:(  (Read 1072 times)

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
Whole body seems connected to my knee >:(
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:40:52 PM »
Hurt my MCL Dec. 29, '05.  Been back and forth to several docs, been diagnosed with hamstring issues, patellofemoral problems, MCL tear, and various other things, most of which can be ruled out by standard LOGIC (for instance, my hamstring is actually more flexible and stronger than it's ever been and doesn't hurt at all... go figure!).  Anyway, I'm now almost 8 weeks out, knee seems LOOSER than before, and i've been doing home PT for four weeks now.  Something happened this weekend that gave me a bit of concern... I slipped on my grandma's dog in the landing of her steps, fell down only 3 carpeted and padded stairs, and now have a LOT more bruising and such than one would expect from such a minor incident... my knee is now VERY sore, even though i didn't bump it or bruise it at all (that I remember), and I feel like I've stepped back about four or five weeks in recovery time!  Normally, I bounce back from bumps, bruises, strains, sprains, breaks and the like.  My knee's the only thing i can't seem to get over, and now after that fall it seems that EVERYTHING has lost it's ability to bounce back.  What can I do to help my body get back to where it was?  Such a short and minor fall shouldn't have done this to me (My thigh is bruised so much I can't sit or lay on that side, hurts to walk; my arm has a big ol' lump underneath the bruise that makes it hard to move it [not broke though... doesn't hurt much at all, actually]; all my muscles seem stiff).  I'm 22; should NOT be feeling so much like I'm falling apart!!!  Any advice on what you've done to improve your overall health after injury would be SO appreciated, as apparently I messed with more than my knee!
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

Offline nichole

• Regular Poster
Re: Whole body seems connected to my knee >:(
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:07:25 PM »
Hi im nichole, sorry to hear about the dog :) no im just kidding i hope that made you smile tho i had a similar incident like that recently with ice ,so now on fri i have a ttt scheduled but i have a 2 yo and a 4yo. have you seen a doc if so what did they say i have found that a product called bio-freeze works well its a bit on the pricey side its a analgesic like bengay but better you can get it at chyropracters (scuse the spelling) or some small pharmacies are you on muscle relaxers ? well good luck if you have any other questions or need to talk just e-mail [email protected]  [email protected] Good Luck nichole
torn miniscus 02'03
tons of cortizone inj
patella femoral realignment 02-24-06
28 yo f mom srudent

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 08:13:54 PM »
Well, my body is still rebelling... BUT... Did get my arm straightened out - went to my family practice doc, who has known me forever and i feel very comfortable with... apparently, because of some previous injuries that resulted in minor scar tissue formation, some of the facia around my muscles is tougher than normal... the bruise caused bleeding INTO the muscle compartment, and the bleeding has now begun to calcify (shows on an x-ray) - at least that's what i'm pretty sure he said - wasn't overly alert as it was an early early appt. and he had just gotten done manipulated my arm into all sorts of contorted positions - blood work shows no remaining clotting issues... anyway, he says that i've gotta get it broken up (the scar tissue) or else face MAJOR surgery if i want to keep using my arm (the affected muscles are used to both turn my palm up and turn it down, and the muscle which pulls the back of my hand up is affected as well).  When I stretch them, especially in the morning, i can actually HEAR things ripping. :'(  SO to help break it all up, i'm seeing a massage therapist 5 times a week... thank GOD she is a close friend/mother figure, and is doing it for free - after 3 sessions (just started this week), i've regained a LOT of motion and even a little strength.  The treatments aren't too bad - until about an hour later when things start trying to tighten down again...  but it seems to be working! ;D  I really do think i can avoid the surgery with her help!  To all you out there fighting arthrofibrosis (nothing like my arm, i'm sure - i still have my joints, but i bet it's the same sort of pain), BIG HUGS!!!  I never knew how much scar tissue could HURT.  Even when you're NOT doing anything to it!  To every one else - when people complain about their scar tissue in their knees, give them a break - i can't IMAGINE this happening to my knee :o .
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:45:59 PM »
I feel for you. Hang in there. You are in my prayers. Keep us posted.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »
Thank you for the replies!  On the one hand, i'm very happy with my knee at the moment - on Saturday night, i was able to run from the car to the house and back (was in a hurry!) and while it didn't feel natural (i haven't run at all since December when i hurt it), IT DIDN'T HURT!!!  ;D I'm VERY happy for that!  On the other hand, due to mucky weather and my massage thereapist being stuck at home, it's been three days since the last go-round on my arm, and it shows.  Literally.  i can actually see the lumps (big ones) caused by the scar tissue.  I try to break it up myself, but can't seem to do it very well.  :-\   Something about digging deep into the muscles and applying the necessary friction and such, causing great pain that brings tears to my eyes, all myself TO myself, can't do it.  BUt back on teh wagon tomorrow for more torture...  If I may say it again - BE NICE, VERY VERY NICE, TO PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SCAR TISSUE IN THEIR KNEES!!!  Unless we're unfortunate enough to experience it, we'll never understand, but at least we can be NICE!  I've had just a little taste of what it might be like, and i feel for all of you w/ arthrofibrosis, i really do!