Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hemarthrosis? Bleeding in the joint? Help please!  (Read 2418 times)

Offline bbkmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Good grief...who knew knees were such a problem?
Hemarthrosis? Bleeding in the joint? Help please!
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:09 PM »
I had a lateral release done about 3 weeks ago and I now have a large "lump" for lack of a better word on the side of my knee. It is not completely hard, but feels squishy. Last night I noticed a bruise on the back of my knee which had not been there before and today there is a bluish purple line going down the back of my leg from the bruise. My question is...could this be bleeding in the joint? My OS thinks he is a wonderful surgeon and nothing can go wrong so I don't even bother to mention this to him anymore...after all, he did a great job and I just really need to quit complaining >:( Also, should I be wearing some sort of knee brace? If so, what kind? I am not doing therapy of any kind because I wasn't told to, this concerns me as well.
Thanks for all your help everyone, I have posted before and always gotten wonderful responses...so helpful!! ;D

cholt

Re: Hemarthrosis? Bleeding in the joint? Help please!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:57:34 PM »
Hi, I had one after my LR in July.  It can take up to a year for your body to reabsorb the blood from a bad bruise like this.  I had a bruise from mid thigh to mid calf.  A BIG one that was all black and blue and it never turned yellow, green or brown.  I still have discoloration on my knee from it.  But it has almost gone away.  I was having severe, cramping pain in my calf and they thought I may have a DVT (blood clot).  So they drained it and then did an ultrasound in the hospital when it got worse.  I did not have one (thank God), but I had severe aching for about 2-3 weeks.  Couldn't sleep at all.  They put me in the hospital for 3 days to control pain.  Finally put me on liquid morphine which worked for about 1 day then quit. 

Was told to keep elevated.  If your OS has checked it, you might try to put a wrap on your knee to give it some compression to stop the bleeding if it still is.  It will also give you a little relief.  Also elevation and ice.  Remember R.I.C.E.

Good Luck.  PS.  if you start to have aching in calf, see a Dr. ASAP. 

Cindy

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 01:47:59 PM »
Hey
I had a LR almost 4 years ago now and I developed a HUGE hemarthrosis... and trust me, you'll know if it's this. I was violently ill and extremely weak from the pressure in the joint. I had a HUGE lump half the size of a melon on my knee just above and to the lateral of the patella.
My LR I had last August... I had some bruising and bleeding as well, but it can take time for this to go away.

I was braceless post op just wore some Tensor bandages to try and help with the swelling. If you are worried, you should call your sugeon or physiotherapist. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Goodluck
LInds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline ncjen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:59:58 PM »
I had a lateral release almost three months ago.  This procedure does develop lots of swelling.  I had a large lump on the outside of my knee for about 2 months.  The elevation does help along with some heat.  I finally got it to go away by wearing a hot pad at night and massaging above the knee cap along the muscle several times a day.  About the time the swelling went down, I did notice some new bruising. 
As for PT, I think every doctor is different.  I was put on crutches until I got my unloader brace.  I understand from some PT's that you should be on crutches for the first 6 weeks to reduce swelling.  My doctor had me doing PT almost immediately along with using a CPM machine (continuous passive motion) to bend the knee again.

support