Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 6169 times)

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Alcohol
« on: February 18, 2006, 06:08:09 AM »
Hi All

Does anyone know of any research being done on alcohol and OA?

My mother swears that if she drinks alcohol (she is a light drinker) it makes her arthritis pain and swelling worse.

I have noticed that over the past few weeks of Xmas and whatever, that with increased alcohol consumption, I now have significantly more pain in my knee - enough so that it is now keeping me awake at night - and I have achey fingers.

I dont know if this is what is called a "flare" or if alcohol is responsible.

Do you think this might be an inflammatory reaction? Or a reaction to the toxins in my body?

Prior to the whole knee thing, I spent most of my adult life in this sort of split-personality state of going out on the weekends drinking heaps, smoking etc and then during the week not smoking, eating healthy and jogging. Could the alcohol consumption have been the thing that damaged my knee in the first place???

Is continued use of alcohol damaging it further or just irritating it?

The only references I can find on the 'net are to do with gout. Anybody had any similar experiences or heard anything anecdotally?

At least after a couple of beers it doesn't hurt any more ;)

No sport, no pub, can't anybody have any fun any more???
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline Besty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 11:02:19 AM »
Hi NikkiE,

I posted on the Cruciate Ligament site earlier this week about diet.

I had an ACLR five weeks ago and last weekend had quite a lot to drink and ate very badly for two days...that's what watching England in the World Cup does for you!

On Monday I awoke in a lot of pain to the point where I thought the new ligament had become displaced. But no, it was due to inflammation of the knee due to excessive alcahol. My surgeon also confirmed that I had arthritis and excessive alcahol would affect it.

So there is a truth in what your mother says. I had some good responses about diet and alcahol, so perhaps it's might be worth referring the Cruciate Ligament thread under Diet During Rehab.

I think fun, as you and I know it, is out for a few months at least!

Besty
In my 40s
Complete tear to ACL 12 years ago through playing football
Knee completely unstable with further damage to joint
Quality of life seriously suffered over past two years
Plucked up courage to talk to surgeon Nov 05
ACLR 5th June 2006 with hamstring graft

Offline lucyanne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 04:53:49 AM »
The acupuncturist I go to says that alcohol will aggravate any inflammation in my knees. However, I am a much better dancer after a glass or two of wine, and sometimes actually forget my pain..until the next day. ;)

Offline mbr20

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 03:19:20 PM »
Yep, I can confirm I am also a much better dancer after the alcohol (or at least I think I am  ;D)... but seriously, I am finding that I am getting flare ups sometimes after alcohol and was wondering if it was a factor. I am now thinking of giving it up totally  :(
I am also finding that I am also feeling dehydrated most of the time, even though I drink heaps of water, and this correlates with the OA pain. Anyone else finding this?  ???
MBR
Bilateral PF Osteoarthritis

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 07:00:21 PM »
I been told dehydration can cause chronic knee pain, that alcohol causes, you should drink 6 to 8 glasses of purified water a day to stop any dehydration.

Here some information regarding dehydration and chronic knee pain, does not mention alcohol but does cause dehydration.

http://www.caringmedical.com/media/article.asp?article_id=198

Nick  :) {2006} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 07:09:58 PM »
Mel - I think your job probably causes you to be more dehydrated than the rest of us - more inflight water for you!!!

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline mbr20

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 02:12:14 AM »
Thanks Nick and Anja. I drink heaps of water, particular when flying, but am suspecting its the electrolytes (salts, etc) that I miss out on? Getting the occasional muscle cramps also  ??? Will be trying to track someone down about it next week and will post if I get some good info.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 06:56:08 AM »
Propel water is great! And has lots of vitamins in it.....try it!!

DONNA :)
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline mbr20

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 03:08:02 AM »
Hi Donna

I havent heard of Propel water. Will look it up on the net.

Thanks
Mel

support