Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: synvisc  (Read 1813 times)

Offline trudy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
synvisc
« on: February 13, 2006, 10:48:41 PM »
Hi - I have only visited the board a few times.  I had arthoscopic surgery on both knees in July -he said he cleaned them up did some scraping and gave me a shot of cotizone in each knee.  Since then I have had two rotator cuff surgeries (both shoulders) so now I am back to the knees.  I still cant get down on the floor and back up and I cant get up from any low sitting positions without help.  It is frustrating and very limiting not to mention painful.  My OS has mentioned SYNVISC and told me to research it before I come back (I have 4 more weeks of PT for my shoulder) and then we will talk.  Anybody have any experience with SYNVISC.  Any advice?  Thanks so Much!

Offline Jengizu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: synvisc
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:39 AM »
I'll be getting my first injection of Hylagan (similar to Synvisc) on Wednesday, so hopefully I'll be able to give you some good news in a few weeks.

Tom

Offline trudy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 01:30:02 PM »
Hi Tom
Thanks for responding....   I will be very interested to see what kind of results you have.   Good Luck.
Trudy

Offline sandra

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 02:01:04 PM »
I had Synvisc last summer and think it helped some, but I had a bit of a bad experience with it.  It's a series of three shots, and after the third shot my knee swelled up and required draining and a shot of cortisone to get the swelling down.  So it's hard for me to know if the Synvisc helped, or the cortisone, especially since I didn't really get the full dose of the Synvisc. 

Anyway, I'm still glad I tried it, because one way or the other I got a few months of relief.  I actually ran a few times!   :o  Others on this board have had Synvisc, so maybe they'll post, or you can search for topics on it.

Good luck!
1/04 left knee lateral release and debridement; grade 2-3 chondromalacia
7/05 left knee synvisc treatment
3/06 left knee debridement

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »
there is an entire board dedicated to this.  Head down to the arthritis section, there is a board for "injections to the joint", with threads on all the different viscosupplementation injections.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • not the bee's knees
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 04:14:41 PM »
Trudy,

I had two series of synvisc/halagyn shots before my surgery. I think it bought me some time, less pain for a couple months. Ultimately, I had to have the PFJR but sometimes getting a little more time and less discomfort is woth it even for a short time.

Good luck!

Nancy
OA both knees, confined to patella. Arthroscopy 1998, cortisone both knees,  Halygan shots both knees. Had PFR 3/28/05. Recovery on schedule according to OS but lots of pain radiating up thigh and to lower back.

Offline trudy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 05:49:24 PM »
Nancy
thanks for your response.  I am seriously considering the injections.   Right now I am trying accupunture.  I want to be able to ride my bike and do even a small amount of aerobic exercise.  I have gained quite a bit of weight- (25 pounds)  between the knees and the shoulders - I have not been able to exercise.  Did you find the shots allowed you more movement?  More range of motion? 
P.S. Exactly what is a PFJR?
Trudy

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • not the bee's knees
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 04:28:16 PM »
Trudy,

Sorry I didn't get back to you for so long. The Patella Femoral Joint Replacement is a partial which involves resurfacing the patella and installing a prothesis.

How did the Synvisc work for you? How are you doing now?

Best,

Nanchy
OA both knees, confined to patella. Arthroscopy 1998, cortisone both knees,  Halygan shots both knees. Had PFR 3/28/05. Recovery on schedule according to OS but lots of pain radiating up thigh and to lower back.