Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: A veritable knee-injury virgin...  (Read 2450 times)

Offline 1234qwerty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
A veritable knee-injury virgin...
« on: July 06, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »
Hi,

I've looked through many of the posts and have found them very useful.  However I would really like to get specific advice from all you knee geeks out there about my particular situation.  Please excuse any inaccuracies in terminology.

I have been training hard for a good seven months now, having proper rest and stretching before and after every training session. My left leg has always been 'tighter' than the right, and when doing the 'figure four' hamstring stretch i can't reach as far down my left leg as i can on my right. No dramas, as it never hurt pre, during or after a run (though occaissionaly it might feel a bit tight down the medial tendon/ligament which runs from the back of the inside of my left leg to my shin).

Anyway! I have started a course with TA which means i will be doing a lot of running/physical activity and last Tuesday we did a hill sprint/run session where i felt my hamstring tighten a little.  Since then i have had occaissional short dull pains up the ligament/tendon and tightness in the quad and the medial side of my left leg.  I have given it the RICE treatment, stretched LOTS and am laying off running until i go to TA on Tuesday.

So basically; what do you reckon I have? Quad tendonitis?  Damage to my Medial Collaterol?  To be honest i'm clutching at straws here.  Whatever it is, i think i've caught it pretty early as i COULD run on it with no trouble, but i want to be careful and stop the problem snowballing into a real injury.

I would go to a physio but unfortunately cash flow problems restrict me from doing so!  And i don't know whether i should be stretching more/stretching less/doing light exercise/swimming/how long should I leave it before getting back into my training seriously?

Sorry for my long post, I've rattled on for ages and not said much.  Apologies if it is the wrong place or it has been covered before, and i really will appreciate any reply.

Thanks in advance,

1234qwerty

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: A veritable knee-injury virgin...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »
For your description, I'm wondering if you have tendonitis within the Pes Anserine group.  This group of tendons with a common insertion consists of tendons from the medial hamstrings along with the sartorius and gracilus muscles.  Check out this link and see if this follows what you are experiancing.

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic100.htm
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline 1234qwerty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 09:59:06 PM »
That is brilliant.  Thank you so much.  You don't realise how much i need this!

I think i love you,

1234qwerty

Offline 1234qwerty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:11:53 PM »
That is very helpful and relieving.  It looks like this is my problem, and im glad it's nothing too serious and can be sorted out.

One more thing...Does anyone have a good link/document for quad strengthening exercises and a guide me as to the frequency and intesity with which i should be doing them?

Thanks,

1234qwerty

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 10:24:03 PM »
I e-mailed you an anterior knee pain protocol

1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline 1234qwerty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 05:12:34 PM »
Thanks for that. It's a great help.

It looks like I do have Pes Anserine Bursitis.

Does anyone know how long before I should be cleared to train again?  I don't think i have it bad and am following a course of stretching and quad strengthening.  Plus I don't think it is a severe case of the condition.

Thanks

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 05:50:45 PM »
You might want to try using Ibuprophen or Naproxen ( over the counter anti inflammatories) to try and settle the inflammation while you follow the protocol, as well as icing before and after exercise. Make sure you put ice packs on top of your knee, and behind... ;) The cool can get to the joint better that way.

Goodluck

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?