Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Got off to a wrong step, start all over.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline sylgeren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Got off to a wrong step, start all over.
« on: March 25, 2003, 11:21:22 PM »
 :oHi  to Everyone here.  I guess my last message was a little to short.  Let me tell you about myself.  Iam 6l and still working as a Dental Assistant.  I do alot of walking up and down halls and sitting patients all day long. I love my job, so this knee thing has me really upset.
I have had a lot of pain for a year or so, and now it became to much.  Went to see  Dr. Suziki in Riverside, ca, and he wanted to do a arthoscopic to see what going inside,  at my age he said it probably was arthritis.

Well Friday I had it done and now he said he cleaned up a bit and will probably give me som Synvec shots soon.

But in the very near future I will have to have a total knee replacement.  Just wanted to hear from someone who has gone before me..  What to look forward too. haha!!!

Any help will be appreciated.  syl ??? ??? ???
Sylvia Geren March 2l,2003 had right knee arthoscopic surgery.  Very little cartilge left.

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Got off to a wrong step, start all over.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 04:54:26 PM »
Hi Syl

I have not had TKR...if you look back on the board a ways you will find some info on it though...I know Sylvia who posts here pretty regularly had one and is very knowledgable...

My neighbor who is 60 just had it and is doing VERY well. The key seems to be using that CPM (a passive motion machine) regularly. He could not walk at all before and is now golfing. He is planning on having the other one done in the fall.

Anyhow, you will hear lots of positives and negatives and it is best to be as informed as possible before going in...I would definitely want to know WHY my OS thought I should get a TKR as opposed to one of the more conservative treatments...

Good luck to you, and welcome to the board...
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 02:25:41 PM »
I have had both of my knees replaced.  It is not an easy surgery and it has a long recovery.  Most people can go back to their daily activities and live pretty pain free.  I spent about 4 days in the hospital, did not go to rehab either time and was off work for 8 weeks.  PT is the key to getting back to your life.  Work hard at the exercises, take the pain meds if needed to do your best, and do your exercises faithfully.  It probably took me almost a year before I started feeling  like myself again.  

You can email me if you have specific questions or want more info.
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 06:01:27 PM »
Well that visit ended up a bit scary for you. A TKR is a pretty big op, I wish you well with it. You'll know when its time to have it done, when you cant stand the pain anymore. I know a man that had a hip replacement and he said it was the best thing he ever did and wished he'd done it years before. Some people say these ops give them back their lives again. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline sylgeren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 06:19:41 PM »
Well in response to the replys I got,  ::)this the 6th day after having my arthosc done.  He said he scraped most of the rough things out and smooth it done.  but in places ( in the photo he took) :-/it's pink, which means bone to bone.  I'm due to go back to work on 3-3l-03, but this really still hurts :'(He has me doing leg and foot movements, but I just don't know.  In 2 weeks he will give me a Synvec shot in 3 series.  I've had them before and they help a little.  I'm just hoping to get by for a little longer , since last year I took off from work 3 months for Heart Surgery.  My employer isn't that understanding. :-/   Syl G. ??? ???
Sylvia Geren March 2l,2003 had right knee arthoscopic surgery.  Very little cartilge left.

Offline eurofrenchie29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I miss skating.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 03:48:00 AM »
I havent had replacement, but I am suppose to get one done in the near future.  I was a little scared but asked a lot of questions.  When I was in physio, there was a man in his 50's that had it done to his one knee before and now he was getting his other one done.  I asked him tons of questions (probably being a pest) and he said to me that it was the best thing he could have ever done for himself.  He said that the pain was gone when he had his other one done and never looked back to do the other.  He said he was able to do things he has'nt done in years.  All I can say to you is what I did.  Get as much information as possible.  Find out the benifits and draw backs.  This way you can make an informed decision on what is best for you.  Myself, all I have heard was good things from others, and I am looking forward to walking without pain. ::)
Osmond Clark Aggravation Test Positive/Gr lV patellar femoral change/Gr ll medial tibial change/Scope in 2002/Future knee replace/Chondromalacia/Cronic Pain/All thanks to falling on some ice.

support