Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy Success Story  (Read 13949 times)

Offline deejay30

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Fulkerson Osteotomy Success Story
« on: February 11, 2006, 08:24:38 PM »
I'm very excited to tell you my success story!  After a couple of different surgeries, including a lateral release, my doc recommended a Fulkerson Osteotomy - I was pretty hesitant to do it but boy am I ever glad that I did!

I was 30 at the time of the surgery and my fear was that it wouldn't be successful and that my next best hope was knee replacement. 

My surgery was on June 21, 2004 - 1 1/2 years later I am back to hiking and enjoying my life. 

It was hard work getting here but it's worth it - I am practically pain free at this time, once in a while I have some shin pain and the area where my screws are is pretty tender but it doesn't slow me down.

I know this surgery sounds pretty scary - and it should, but it's worth it.  Just make sure you follow the doctor's orders and do your exercises and you should recover just fine!

If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]
10/03 LK Scope & Lateral Release
06/04 LK Fulkerson Osteotomy
10/04 Tibia fracture
12/04 Left ankle/foot pain
03/06 diagnosed with posterior tibialis dysfunction, Currently in physical therapy

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy Success Story
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:46:50 AM »
I like coming on this part of  the site.  The  other sections can get so depressing.  I am so glad that your surgery was a success!  That's such great news.  The new bees on this site need to see that some of us do have successful surgeries.

Teresa

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:50:45 AM »
I am 6 years post-op from my Fulkerson TTT and Lateral Release and it is still 100% successfull!!!!!!!!!!!! I have full range of mortion, full stability and more important NO PAIN!!  I was told by my OS I should get 5 years from the TTT and I am proud to have 6 so far !!!!

For a Fulkerson to be successfull first of all it has to be the CORRECT operation that you need and the OS you find has to be VERY experienced in doing them!!! I was a perfect candidate and my OS had done hundreds of them so between that and my following all my post-op and rehab instructions it worked!!!!!! It is so important to listen to what the surgeon and PT says and not what other posters say regarding what your limitations are because each OS has their pwn protocal and reasons for such!!!

It is nice to be in the successfull group!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Stacey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:05:59 PM »
I am having my Fulkerson TTT on May 11, 2006. I am a little scared and reading you success story really helps. I have read a lot of scarry stories about problems and I am glad to hear that it is not all bad. Thanks!
Stacey
21 years old
L- LR 2002
R- LR 2002
Right leg TTT and LR- May 11, 2006
Screw removal December 2006
Left leg TTT and LR- May 17, 2007
Screw Removal September 2007

Offline deejay30

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 05:38:10 AM »
Good Luck with your procedure!
10/04 Tibia fracture
03/06 diagnosed with posterior tibialis dysfunction, Currently in physical therapy

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 05:28:35 AM »
I hate to be the voice that changes the tone of these success stories, but................ I had Fulkerson's on both knees (back in 1989 and 1990) and the operatins lasted until 2004.  The early success rate is fantastic for Fulkersons.  But if you look at long term results they are not so great (if you are in your 20s-40s).  Be prepared for PKR in the years to come (or even TKR).

My suggestion is keep up with your therapy, follow your doctor's advice, but also have a back-up plan.  If you need to know anything else (ie-what was involved with PKR, recovery time, therapy, etc.) just ask.

Offline deejay30

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 05:29:05 AM »
Hi Mr. F,

Thanks for the information.  The purpose of my Fulkerson was to give me 6 - 10 years before having to have KR.  My doctor was up front with me about that and I knew going into it that it was not a permanent solution.  Because of my age he was just trying to give me some extra time.  I'm about 2 years post op and still doing well ....hoping I can get more than the 10 years but if not - well.... I guess I'll have to deal with that when it comes, eh?

Deej
10/04 Tibia fracture

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 02:55:37 AM »
My Os also stated that if I get past the 5 year mark in great condition ( now 6 1/2 years) that I should be able to make it to 10 years. He did stress that this might not be the end of the road for me and a PKR or TKR MAY be needed after 10 years or so.

After feeling great 6 1/2 years later I will keep my mind positive on the long term outcome :)

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 02:55:50 PM »
It is great that you are experiencing success with your surgeries.  I can tell you (7 months post op...bilateral PKR) if you need both knees operated on do it at the same time.  The recovery time is alittle longer (up front) but I am able to walk, go up and down stairs, bend, drive, and 3 weeks after my operations I was back at work.  If I had one knee operated on at a time, in about 2-3 months I would be ready to have the second operation.

Just one question...why did the OS give you 10 years for your knee(s)? At 10 years I was having minor pain, at 13 years the pain was bad, and at 15 years I could barely walk.

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 05:55:11 PM »
My Dr is very conservative so he feels 10 years is the "average" time that he had seen where people start to have trouble so he uses that as his benchmark. He did say he had a few patients who were 15 years post TTT with no issues.

Cari

Offline Stacye

• Regular Poster
  • a
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »
Hi my TTT lasted about 13 now its time for something just trying to decied what?? They say a OATS procedure but the pkr are sounding better to me.  Im 42 they keep tellling me Im too young plus sometimes fake knees dont work for dislocations is that true?? You can still dislocate the new knee??

Offline David3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
Some interesting posts above. I'm in the process of learning about TTT and patella realignment since I have severe cartilage damage on the patella and in the trochlear of my right knee and understand that I may need an unloading osteotomy as well as a cartilage repair procedure. I'm interested that people in this posting say that TTT has a good early success rate but that long term results are not so great. Can somebody shed some light on why this is? Is it because the TTT relieves pressure on the damaged part of the patella for a few years but, eventually, further patella damage occurs causing the pain to return?  Does anybody know if the long-term results of TTT are better if also combined with a cartilage repair technique such as ACI (Carticel)?   In other words, does the pain eventually return ater the TTT due to worsening cartilage condition, or is there something inherent with the TTT that leads to a deterioration even if the patellofemoral cartilage is successfully repaired and remains intact?  Thanks for any help.

David
2006: Left Knee (LK) microfracture (MFC, LFC, Trochlear), failed at 6 months
7/07: ACI/TTO of LK (MFC, LFC, trochlea, patella)
2014: Considering ACI treatment on RK.

Offline cook

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 06:14:47 PM »
I just had a Fulkerson and was unaware that this wasn't a permanent fix.  I have the same questions.  Is cartilage damage the reason for the future problems or is it the actual TTT.  Why doesn't it last? 

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 07:55:33 AM »
One must remember that we are all in the processes of ageing.  People that have symptomatic miss-aligned knee caps that resulted in articular lesions have to live with the fact that the TTT surgery is not a disease altering surgery it only changes the force through your knee to slow the loss of articular cartilage.  Some people have extraordinary results, but most of use have to realize we must maintain strong legs, light weight and be careful with what’s left of our knees.  The road to TKR can be lengthened, but for people with severe knee problems it is most likely in our futures; however technology is always looking for a cure one that is completely disease altering a true fix.  I for now will continue to do the best with the technology available today and keep trying to loss weight if we could only run.  It is the cross we all have to bare.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 07:07:38 PM by fire535 »

Offline aggieapes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »
this is really interesting, i was thinking this was a fix for many many years, i'll be having mine done in Jan 07

support