Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS vs. TruFit Plugs from OBI  (Read 15447 times)

Offline soonerinstl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS vs. TruFit Plugs from OBI
« on: February 10, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »
I was just wondering what advantages or disadvantages you might have in using the two procedures.  I know the OBI Plugs are relatively new but didn't know what successes or problems had been documented using this procedure.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have! ;D

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: OATS vs. TruFit Plugs from OBI
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 01:44:56 PM »
I have had experience with the OBI plugs and they failed. I had them placed on both the medial femoral chondyle and the lateral femoral chondyles. Within a year they both flaked out(the scope pictures showed them looking like fish fillets).
I was told by the OBI company that they were having trouble with the OBI implants in knees. They were working fine for shoulders and ankles but they weren't sure why they knees were failing. (My OS did 3 patients knees and all three of us failed within the year time frame)
OBI never got back with me so I am not sure what the deal is or was.
Hope this helps a bit

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline soonerinstl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »
Thank you, Paulette.

Was it at your OS's recommendation that you try the plugs?  And how was revision surgery implemented?

I apologize in advance for the 20 questions but I'm trying to learn as much about their history as possible.  I've looked for articles on the OBI plugs but haven't had much success finding any.  Your info has been valuable.

Thanks again!
Steve

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:13:18 PM »
It was my OS suggestion that I try the plugs. He said it would benefit me because I had three lesions over 1 cm that needed to be filled- this way I want creating more holes in my knee to fill in those.

The revision surgery was easy we did part allograft and on the other sites with high failure rates we used my own tissue (autograft).

I am doing well now- I just have muscle weakness to deal with but I think I have made great progress as I was off an on crutches for 18 months.

Please dont hesitate if you have more questions.

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal

Offline soonerinstl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 03:46:24 PM »
Hi Paultette,
I'm still doing research on these plugs and was wondering who your OS was that used them on you?  Thanks in advance.
Steve

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:17:13 PM »
Not sure if we can say OS name on the site here but if you need to know you can PM me.
He was out of the lansing area in Michigan

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 01:22:38 PM »
Steve,

It's been awhile since anyone posted on this thread.  Don't know if you're even around anymore.  Had the surgery and so far so good. 
The OBI plugs will be very useful for people who don't meet the OATS or ACI requirements because of 'age'. Too often we have heard - 'nothing can be done' - well, maybe with new technology like this more options will be given to that age group over 40.........
After the damaged bone was removed, the hole was backfilled with the plug.  At the same time I had a TTT procedure to move over & elevate the Tibial Tubercle to unload the pressure on the patella. 
The OBI plugs are being used more frequently since the procedure has been approved in the US. 
The protocol:   6 to 8 weeks NWB (non weight bearing) on crutches, no physio therapy during this time frame.   Remove immobilizer once or twice a day to flex knee and try to achieve 90 degrees by week six.
In my opinion it is a good option for people that are in the 'rejected age groups'......  The protocol is long and tough & maybe not for everyone. 
In my view, it is a great option that might enable me to walk again without pain.
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Athlete Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 05:14:30 AM »
Hi -- my 13 year old son just had the plugs (2 weeks ago).  I'm very nervous -- don't know much about them or their success rates. 

The latest posting indicates positive results -- are they still positive -- keep me updated.  My son is on toe-touch only for 6 weeks.  Then full weight bearing.  He says he'll do another athroscopy in January to make sure its growing.

Any input??

Offline emilylauren

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: OATS vs. TruFit Plugs from OBI-advice please
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »
Hi,

I'm 48 y/o, former athlete until damaging the articular carlidge.

I thought I was having a OATS procedure (cadaver) but now I found out that trufit plugs will be used along with doing a lateral release.  Any updates or info on those who have had the plugs would be greatly appreciated!  Are there any athletes that are back to running, biking etc. after having the plugs put in.  How long did it take you to get back to training outdoors, competing?  Any info, thoughts on the plugs would be appreciated.  If possible too can you let me know where surgery was done etc.  Thanks!

Offline RichardUK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
I appreciate that there haven't been any correspondence on this thread for a while but thought it would be useful to leave this note for anyone who is considering TruFit plugs and doing some general research. 

I had 4 TruFit plugs (2 x 9mm & 2 x 7mm plugs) inserted on the lateral femoral trochlea in Dec 2008.  In my case the plugs completely dissolved leaving significant cavities in the femoral trochlea.  I wish the surgeon at the time had done a MACI procedure as the area of damage was quite large.  I have recently been to a different surgeon and the damaged area required a bone graft and then a MACI procedure over this. 

I hope TruFit plugs have been beneficial for lots of people, but my impression is that they are not suitable for larger areas of damage and the more plugs that are inserted the greater the risk of faiilure.

Age 49
2001 - Right Knee - ACI Complete Trochlear and 1.5cm Medial Femoral Condyle
1997 - Right Knee - Debridement of MFC
1982 - Right Knee - Trimming of articular cartilage on MFC