Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Finding a private knee surgeon in UK  (Read 1003 times)

Iona_-Uk

Finding a private knee surgeon in UK
« on: March 15, 2003, 10:10:08 AM »
If anyone is considering jumping off the NHS, going private to see a orthpaedic surgeon, you might find this useful.

Most important of all-get a recommendation from your GP or friend who has used a particular OS-Personal recommendation is invalaubale.

Firstly if you are wanting to go through BUPA try http://www.bupahospitals.com, it will tell you of your nearest BUPA facility and what services they offer. Nuffield hospitals are on the web somewhere but I cannot find their address!!!!

Look for their list of orthpaedic consultants and read every single one even if they say their speciality is something else, it's alays useful if you can't get your first choice of surgeon.

Ring the consultants secrearty to ask if they can send you an overview of the general work the surgeon does, how much surgery he/she does per week and whether they accept NHS to priavate referrals, some consultants won't accept patients who were on the NHS for an appt, jump off to go private for the initial consultation and then go back on the NHS for surgery/PT.

Ask if you can write or speak with the surgeon to asess whether they would be able to help or if they feel they could give you the name of a more suited surgeon.

Remember- you are assessing the surgoens abilities to fix you- not the other way around!.

Ask you they would follow your case and what their post op (if appropriate) proceedure is and importantly- do they do the surgery themselves or do they have a registrar to do it?

Also, ask what sort of outpatient follow up they recommend and do they provide a telephone service to able to call the OS after surgery with questions.

If I've missed anything- let me know.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 10:15:17 AM by Iona_-Uk »

Offline pirate

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Keep Smilling
Re: Finding a private knee surgeon in UK
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 10:39:31 AM »
2 things

Nuffield and Bupu vary an awful lot in price and care.
My daughter had a tonsilectomy 2 years ago, when she was 3. I was given a quote from bupu that was twice that of nuffield, and they wanted to do it as a day surgery, whereas nuffield said atleast two nights stay in hospital.

Also my mother in law was told last year by an NHS doctor that a hip replacement would not be advisable for her, she decided to go private, and easily persueded a doctor to operate. As her hip was so badly damaged they had to do a bone graft aswell.

A year on she had had to have a second hip replacement on the same hip as the graft and new hip didn't take, which is basically what her NHS doctor had said would happen. She is now very poorly and in a lot more pain than she was before, and they don't know what else to do.

Please be carefull when using a private doctor, sometimes if your NHS doctor has said NO there could be a good reason.
Caroline

Would list my knees history, but there just aint enough characters. Lets just say my knees are knackered.

support