Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Common Chemicals Linked to Osteoarthritis?  (Read 771 times)

Offline crumblingknee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Common Chemicals Linked to Osteoarthritis?
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:15 AM »
Hi everyone,
I think the following linked article will be of interest to the forum. In summary, a new analysis suggests that the greater a woman's exposure to a type of common chemical compound called PFCs, the greater her risk for developing osteoarthritis. Researchers did not find a similar risk among men regarding these chemicals, which are now found in everything from nonstick cookware to take-out containers and carpeting. [E]xposure to PFCs is nearly universal, given their inclusion in a vast array of products to enable (among other things) the grease-proofing of food packaging, waterproofing of rain gear, and textile stain protection. tudy authors stressed that while their investigation identified a robust link between osteoarthritis and exposure to two specific PFC chemicals -- known as PFOA and PFOS -- for now the finding can only be described as an association, rather than a cause-and-effect relationship. Does anyone have comments or have information resources on this or other environmental triggers for arthritis, whether osteo or rheumatoid?  See http://women.webmd.com/news/20130214/chemicals-in-cookware-carpets-may-raise-arthritis-risk-in-women?page=2
Thanks,
Neil

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Common Chemicals Linked to Osteoarthritis?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:32 AM »
Very interesting.  I would be interested to hear anyone's opinion.  I have two knees going downhill much faster than they should be :-/
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR.
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12 - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed